The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on a set up please: Mixer? Mic Pre?
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Advice on a set up please: Mixer? Mic Pre?

I'm about to invest in a little setup for my home studio that I in the process of building up. I am in the research phase still however have decided on most of the components. Although pretty close to dropping the check I have a few questions. Here they are.

1) Would acquiring a mixer improve my workflow or complicate things?

2) Would acquiring a mic pre to my setup be worthwhile to add some punchiness to the synths?

Here is the gear:

2 synths (12 outs 2 ins)
1 compressor (2 outs 2 ins)
1 eq (2 outs 2 ins)
1 effects box (4 outs 4 ins)
1 AD/DA converter (16 outs 16 ins)
1 surround controller
1 Sound card

All the ins and outs of these components will be connected to a patchbay (apart from the sound card)

The AD/DA converter will be connected to: my soundcard and directly to a surround sound monitor for output to my monitors.

Any opinions would be great as I am kinda new at all this. Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsugar View Post

1) Would acquiring a mixer improve my workflow or complicate things?

Based on the info you gave us, yes it should help you to have a mixer but.... are you using a daw? Are you using a program like Pro tools or Logic etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsugar View Post
2) Would acquiring a mic pre to my setup be worthwhile to add some punchiness to the synths?
IMO yes, there are going to be pres that can add punch. Now, which pres those are should be up to you and your listening tastes. although I'm sure plenty of people will chime in and give you an opinion. I like API for adding punch to drums anyway.

there you have my .02
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi! this is to vague and general ...please be more precise if you re looking for advice.

for desicions about which brand to buy search the threads, most items have been discussed.

A few words about what kind of music would help. Recording vocals? acoustics, amps, drums? Now or maybe later....?

As soon as you start hooking up things and have a problem, ask ....

Good luck

www.nickoosterhuis.com

"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Yes I will be using a DAW. Cubase 4

I will be composing electronic music. I play the harmonica a bit so would like to get that in to my compositions.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

If you re only recording with one microphone, get a good one and a decent preamp
(channelstrip)

Instead of a mixer Id get a Mackie Big Knob or an equivalent.

Pair of active monitors like Adam for instance..

www.nickoosterhuis.com

"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

I'd be using the surround controller in order to control the volume to my active monitors.

The mixer would be to control the volume of the 12 outputs of the the synths and possibly some sends.

I dono know am I complicating things considering I will have a patchbay?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Patchbay is good, just make sure it is done properly, especially the earthing has to be central to avoid earthloops..

You might considder laying the outputs of your synths , the in and outs of the preamps, eqs, comps,and the inputs of the daw interface (8?) on the patchbay . This makes everything flexible.

At least the inputs of the daw should be on the patchbay so you can patch the way you want for diff situations......

If youre using a mixer just patch the individual channel outputs (line level)on the inputs of the interface..

hope this helps, its always a bit odd to give advice without knowing the exact situation....

www.nickoosterhuis.com

Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

I suspect the Speck Lilo Line mixer would be ideal for your setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search