The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dream studio Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

dream studio

i have been set the task of desiging a studio with a £750,000 budget($1.5m), i know what a great task, as a university project. this doesn't include building or acoustic isolation. i just wondered if there was anything that you guys would say it was essential to have in it or maybe some crucial design tips i may be overlooking being as i have no experience in this really.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Are you going to SAE?
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

no TVU, it's not the best but they have all the right gear there so i can learn what i need whether there anygood at teachin it to me or not
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

So you have no experience, would rather have a buncha boxes sitting around than good teachers, and want us to do your homework for you?

Why are you going to school again?

EDIT: And why is "metal" in the tag?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I think schools assign projects like this just to piss off Gearslutz contributors.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

So this studio design is for a class assignment right?

Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

ok so my tutors aren't exactly lame but their not world renowned profeessionals, but i can't getinto anyother uni, i'm sorry if these uni assignments piss u off but i thought u may find it fun to think of all the amazing crap u could buy if you had £750,000. saves u from helping all these people who post threads about stuff that is no where near high end. i dont want u to do my home work for me. i just thought i'd consult the infinite wisdom of the gear slutz for advice on any important gear i may not have thought about. i've never even contemplated spending this muchh money on a studio, i've only just upgraded from cubase FFS. but if your not gonna help thats cool, but dont bitch at me
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Are you going to SAE?
Man, I didn't want to ask

I'm actually confused by your character (not you djui5).

On your myspace you say that you're a sound engineer, yet you don't know what's necessary in a normal studio.

You say that your school has good gear, how do you know what good gear is when you don't know what to put in a world class studio.

You also say that the teachers aren't really good, so you're probably won't learn very well how to use it when you know it.

Which will result, in combination with these kind of assignments, in you knowing what kind of 'good' gear all the big studio's have, but never being able to use it, and because of that wil have an even smaller chance of getting work there than you should have when finishing a normal recording school, which most full-time engineers haven't even done.

You can learn all pieces of good gear by heart, only by reading gearslutz, I'm here less than half a year, and allready know something like 80% of what's considered good gear.

When I wouldn't have known **** about it, and had to do this assignment, I would go to something like http://www.abbeyroad.co.uk/ , http://www.airstudios.com/ , or http://www.cosmosproducciones.com/ (studio of a forum member delcosmos) get their equipment list, use google.com to check out all the prices, and hand it in.

Besides that you could run a search on the forum search here, because this question has popped up a few times before by recording school students.

Good luck!

Edit: I read it over and it looks like a very bitchy reaction, please read through it, it was well meant.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezrick View Post
i have been set the task of desiging a studio with a £750,000 budget($1.5m), i know what a great task, as a university project. this doesn't include building or acoustic isolation. i just wondered if there was anything that you guys would say it was essential to have in it or maybe some crucial design tips i may be overlooking being as i have no experience in this really.
Anyone with that budget would hire electricians, acoustical designers, realtors and work with an experienced professional or group of professionals for choosing and locating gear. An experienced project manager and a good book keeper / accountant as well as a lawyer.

I suppose they want you to account for everything down to the last screw? Phone and cable installation? What about small run cd/dvd duplication? Parking spaces? Don't forget lava lamps and plants..

What's the next hypothetical daydream assignment? Premier of Ungabunga?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i've never even contemplated spending this muchh money on a studio,
Well I have, and I've came quite close a couple of times. I'll be working something out this year for some purchases though, just waiting...damn business..

Quote:
but if your not gonna help thats cool, but dont bitch at me
I'm not going to help you because this is a class assignment. You see here at GS we get a lot of this ****, and it's really f'n annoying when some guy who is in school is going to waste your time having you fill out his assignment. If you think it's so fun, why don't you do it yourself! There's a novel idea, do your own f'n homework!

I have a ton of "build a studio" lists, even one that includes a half million dollar microphone list, but I'm not sharing **** with you because it took me a long time to put together. It's not easy making these kinda lists AND IS WHY YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF. See, you learn a lot about gear in the process. Do a search here, there have been plenty of threads, some even filled out by myself and others.

You are getting the backlash of the last 6 months of bull**** posts like this parading as some kinda "help me build a dream studio" thread when it's just really a class assignment.

This is akin to cheating on your test IMO. Now go pound the web for gear
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

thats cool, i dont see it as bitchy. it's not that i dont know what to put in my studio and of course i've reasearched other studios but i found that they all have different gear. i know what to put in there but i was just wondering if there is any industry standard gear you can suggest that is essential, stuff that without ever haveing worked in a top class studio i wouldn't know about. my lecturer has told me about some stuff like some urei gear, NS 10's and drawmer ds201's. but theres bound to be other stuff, i have a gear list layed out but most of it's cutting edge and i was wondering mainly about older stuff that you gearslutz swear by.

it's not really so much the lecturers being crap it's more the whole oragaisation of the uni thats sucks, like we have 300people on our course and most of our class rooms are tiny so we are broken up into groups and forced to work in basic class rooms as oppose to the studio's that we could be using. they accept so many students so they can make a **** load of money. they dont seem to give too much of a **** about our education.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

It's a slightly difficult topic for various reasons. Other threads haven't gone very well... Have a look... The main reason is people realize that it's ALOT of money, a ton of responsibility and it's also a profession. It requires management and a good deal of skill and planning. Some very strong reactions result from the fact that it's so far fetched.

It would be good if you got your instructors to come on here and discuss what exactly they want you to accomplish. I really can't understand what they are thinking by doing this.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...hlight=%24500k

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...hlight=%24500k
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do these 'schools' keep giving out these meaningless assignments? There is a huge difference between "Designing a studio" and simply compiling a list of audio equipment. If you were given an assignment of designing a house, would you submit a list of building materials, furniture and appliances and consider it 'designed'?

DP
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

we still have to include building and acoustics, just not in our budget which i think is fair enough because that would probably take up more than twice our budget to do properly
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
we still have to include building and acoustics, just not in our budget which i think is fair enough because that would probably take up more than twice our budget to do properly
Don't forget to count in cables (audio/clock/digital), stands, snakes and patchbays. Can eat up your budget by tens of thousands of pounds!
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

i have done already but thanks for your advice!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

there's no such thing and tell this your teacher. No standards in audio - which is good AND bad.

NS10????? welcome to last millenium.

Jo
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

FINALLY!!

One of these threads where the person actually tells the truth, and says it is a school project, and not that 'My friend is rich and has entrusted me to design a studio for them'.

So you may actually get some constructive responses, and if I think of anything to add I'll post here.
Old 23rd January 2007
I give up. I hate unnecessarily snarky replies, but since this is an admitted plagarising post....

My dream studio for you is an MBox and $1.49Million consulting fee for me.

Since you obviously don't want to do the work yourself, why not jsut cut and paste the equipment list from Sear Sound or Avatar?

The whole point is to think about what you'll actually need.
Old 23rd January 2007
whatever you do, keep in mind, a console has size and weight.

1. get the SSL in before you finish doors and everything
it's half the rent.

2. are you refering to gear only or also building-materials/design?

3. the buildingpart is covered by 0.0000001% of the slutz around here and is done by specialst with experience. even tough, I have a physics degree, I can't help you. you can easily spend 1.5 millioni$ to build it.. without gear

4. you have to do marketresearch (profit, investements.. you need a buisnessplan.. sort of this).

let's say you have 8 millions ($) after you finished your buisnessplan.. ?? sounds good? I know some guys who had 10 times the money after writing down their plan with an economist and searching investors.

cheers George
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I know some guys who had 10 times the money after writing down their plan with an economist and searching investors.

cheers George

nope that wasn't me

Jo
Old 24th January 2007
baselcity mr. studjo
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
baselcity mr. studjo
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Head

so, if you're teachers are that clueless, do they really care about the work you turn in?

Why not say a brick house and a 4 track? Keep the rest for "entertainment purposes?"

I think the advice above is dead on.
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Maniac

Take the $1.5m and buy Protools M-Powered and invest the rest buying foreclosures in California.
Old 2nd April 2008
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by malgfunk View Post
Take the $1.5m and buy Protools M-Powered and invest the rest buying foreclosures in California.
What he said... and stop using my avatar!!

OOP.
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Nut

Are you recording clients like Domino's Pizza and English as a Second Language publishing companies? Or are you recording music?

That would factor in heavily as to what equipment you buy and if you even care to make the "PROPERLY" built studio.

I remember going to a NEW YORK STUDIO in manhattan for recording the soundtrack to an English book we were writing. The publisher flew us in and I'm thinking "Wow! NY. A real recording studio!!".....It was more or less Auralex and an Digidesign 001 soundcard with u87s.

Client after client didn't know the difference and they still are in business. And quite frankly for what we were producing it didn't matter. It didn't sound like utter crap quality-wise and the publisher was happy.

If Mariah came in the door and wanted to make her next album, I'm sure the studio would have been crappin' their pants and a bit embarrassed.

So my question would be who's your target clientele?
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Do some work...

How about this, go to most ANY great studio's website, from Abbey Road to Sunset Sound, look ath thier pictures, list off the equipment you see and then go on the internet and start to price that out.

THEN, if you have questions, bring us some specifics.

-a
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Head

I would buy a couple consultants and professional studio builders to help with my biggest concern in a studio, ISOLATION.

When it comes down to it, you can do almost anything, anywhere, as long as it's quite and you don't have people banging on your door about the noise.

My second concern would be acoustics. My third would be a designer to make it comfortable for the musicians and engineers.

Then I would worry about gear.

1.) Isolation
2.) Acoustics
3.) Comfort for the Staff and Performance
4.) Pro Tools (I need it, I am a digital boy)
5.) Analog Summing

I really wouldn't care what else is there. I'd make it work.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict

Come on, the thread's a year old!!!

The guy is long gone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search