The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm ready for a vari-mu compressor. Which one? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th April 2016

I'm holding out for the Nu-Mu.
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
I just ask as I regurlarly made the observation that EDM (incl sounds with a lot of overtones e.g.) is quite resistant to hq HW. Meaning an hi end vari mu will not really act out its strengthes. The more organic analogue sounding the music the more a great vari mu will shine. So for 'plastic' music I think its a bit wasted money. I often master great electronic music where my rockruepel really shines, but I would not call it EDM...
Im using EDM as a universal word for all electronic dance music. like "rock" or "jazz". But yeah I know that it apparently means modern popular brickwall dance for many. I should have said "high dynamic range", "organic", "3D", "hifi" ish electronic dance. Minilogue style dynamics.

My only experience with Vari Mu is with software, and I think I know what you talk about. It sounds better on high dynamic range stuff with lots of air and space, like minimal tech. Less so in crammed trance. Though I work with more open trance, so sometimes it does fit also here. (btw Minilogue guys also had a trance project long time ago: Son Kite.)
Old 1st May 2016
Gear Addict

Does anybody know what to use for Organic Dance Music? ODM? Thinking maybe Iron, maybe not too many, nut just enough.
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear
No software will do what the Manley vari mu can do.. And you can use it on any style of music. Granted it won't be the first compressor in the chain if you're after pumpy vca grab, but I use Smart c1La in to vari mu on all styles of music and it just works. For the money I think the Manley is extremely good value
Old 1st May 2016
Gear Maniac
Why does everyone want a clean vari-mu?? If you want clean use plugins or a transformerless vca compressor or whatever.

Tubes can do very transparent compression but one of the greatest features of tubes is the color they exhibit when pushed hard as they create lots of harmonics.
Phoenix is a great unit in that regard, highly recommended and I think it can be pushed harder than a Manley. Input gain is your friend. The more you push it the thicker it gets with lots and lots of harmonics.

The Phoenix is constantly ignored by many because they think Manley is all there is.
They have no idea what they are missing out on.

I suggest you demo as many units as possible, best of luck!!

PS: as it has been said a Vari-Mu shines with a faster VCA before it and the vari-mu at the end of the chain.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
the phoenix is ok. it sounds great, but the actual comp is akward. the attack and release pots are totally off in my humble opinion. i have never met anyone going past 10 o clock. rest of the pot is wasted and the sweet spot way, way to narrow. i find the controls very unmusical. the amp sounds good though. i will mod mine as soon as i find the time. in its given state it just gathers dust.
True, sweetspot is narrow. Attack 3 and release 1 for me.
What mods can be done?
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBataa View Post
True, sweetspot is narrow. Attack 3 and release 1 for me.
What mods can be done?
i guess different pot values fot attack and release would be the solution
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
i guess different pot values fot attack and release would be the solution
so something like Iron?
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy Rex View Post
so something like Iron?
no. someting like usuable values the thing is miss-designed in terms of attack and release. i think the designer was drunk - or never used a comp in a musical surrounding. the values make no sense at all - literally none. no kidding. its so totally off the makeup gain sounds great - but its still a super ****ty comp with the given pot values in my humble opinion
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
no. someting like usuable values the thing is miss-designed in terms of attack and release. i think the designer was drunk - or never used a comp in a musical surrounding. the values make no sense at all - literally none. no kidding. its so totally off the makeup gain sounds great - but its still a super ****ty comp with the given pot values in my humble opinion
So you're saying that it's kind of like the people who first designed general broadcast varimu's didn't really have music in mind? And maybe if they elaborated on the design a little bit in some way, then we could have a little more timing-precision on the attack and release?

Do you think that's just the pots, or maybe it's a little deeper into the whole thing?
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you're saying that it's kind of like the people who first designed general broadcast varimu's didn't really have music in mind? And maybe if they elaborated on the design a little bit in some way, then we could have a little more timing-precision on the attack and release?

Do you think that's just the pots, or maybe it's a little deeper into the whole thing?
i honestly do not give a sh#t about any historic context. i really dont. the values are off. simple as that. i had lots of engineers in my studio plus myself trying to make the darn thing sound decent - i have never witnessed anyone going past 10 o clock on any given pot. missdesign? i think so!

ps: i do not mind vintage pieces and slow attack release. but this thing is a a joke when trying to make musical compression. did you use the thing at all? yes it can sound grat - unless you accidently missposition its pots by a micrometer. 3/4 of the pots are unusable and yes that is - a design flaw imo.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
i honestly do not give a sh#t about any historic context. i really dont. the values are off. simple as that. i had lots of engineers in my studio plus myself trying to make the darn thing sound decent - i have never witnessed anyone going past 10 o clock on any given pot. missdesign? i think so!

ps: i do not mind vintage pieces and slow attack release. but this thing is a a joke when trying to make musical compression. did you use the thing at all? yes it can sound grat - unless you accidently missposition its pots by a micrometer. 3/4 of the pots are unusable and yes that is - a design flaw imo.
Cool bro, I understand the heat you feel. No I do not have your experience in that particular matter.

I was kind of being a smart @$$ with you because my hypothesis is that the SPL Iron's variable rectifier design may be a leg up. Yet I was just fishing for some more data from you on the whole thing.

I was wondering how deep this goes. Is it as simple as changing the pots? Or do they have to do that rectifier thing?

I mean I know that all those historic things didn't have the same aims that we have today with all this music production.
Old 28th October 2016
Quote:
Cool bro, I understand the heat you feel. No I do not have your experience in that particular matter.

I was kind of being a smart @$$ with you because my hypothesis is that the SPL Iron's variable rectifier design may be a leg up. Yet I was just fishing for some more data from you on the whole thing.

I was wondering how deep this goes. Is it as simple as changing the pots? Or do they have to do that rectifier thing?

I mean I know that all those historic things didn't have the same aims that we have today with all this music production.
All very different beasts with very different sounds, even if they all use the same "technologie" : rebiasing a tube to achieve compression.
The SPL Iron is the most versatile "vari mu" I've owned (Manley, Phoenix, Gates) and also maybe the most suited to Mastering overall. Seems to do the upward compression trick better than anything I've heard for now.

Now that "Magic Death Eye" thing just got my attention as it seems to be a MONSTER in term of design, very very tempting
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Reviving this old thread...

Been using my BG2-3 for a few months now in both a tracking, mixing and mastering context.

I must say, this piece makes me smile every time I use it. Ear to ear smile.

For vocals, bass and general tracking I don’t think I’ve ever used a better compressor (and I’ve owned quite a few over the years). Man does it shine on vocals, in both American and British mode.

As a stereo / parallel drum compressor all I can say is wow, just wow! I wish these were out back in my days of heavy tracking.

In a mastering context she is a bit limited (pun intended) but the British section is the cleanest vari mu I’ve ever heard. She can sit there and hold level unbelievably well. I am impressed. American mode is a bit more aggressive with its output transformer but when it work on the source material it is truly hard to beat.

I can’t wait to strap this in front on my 3 track Presto (once I get it back from my tech). I know the results when tracking to tape with this will be unlike any other!

High Kudos to Bryce.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm ready for a vari-mu compressor. Which one?-a0d58f29-0933-4696-9272-9246afc1cc43.jpg  
Old 12th August 2018
When I look online I see a 19" formfactor only...

What do you have there ? something special ?
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Tubes and transformers are hot things (in stereo devices especially, x2), so, that`s why demanding enough of space, with fresh air, and good cooling. Minimal circuit mono vari-mu comp boasts for e.g. 2-3 tubes, and one quite hot, and not so small mains trafo. Also, input and big output trafo, and may be, 3rd interstage trafo. That`s hard to fit all this into 1/2 wide 1U rack, and into 1U rack even, also into 500 series, if talking about pure tube stuff, with no hybrid tricks, and necessity for normal cooling, i.e. stability of working modes, reliability, lifespan, etc.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

My variable-mu affection leans the way of STA... LEVEL, that is. I’d love a 2nd one, but the LA2A grabbed that rack spot first. Rack real estate hogs they are, but “LB for LB” (RU for RU) they rule!

Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
When I look online I see a 19" formfactor only...

What do you have there ? something special ?
Yeah, I just mentioned to Bryce I wanted three for fronting my Presto 3 track and before I knew it he built this unit and sent it to me. After using it I just had to buy it. It is an amazing piece of gear.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear
I can’t believe this thread is still alive...get yourself a Varis from HCL and be done...if you’re so rich then forget my post and buy whatever you like.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

I highly recommend a look/listen of the Highland Dynamics BG2.

It is two great Vari-MU’s in one package. Two distinct Vari-MU’s at that.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I highly recommend a look/listen of the Highland Dynamics BG2.

It is two great Vari-MU’s in one package. Two distinct Vari-MU’s at that.
This!

I bought it few weeks ago and it is reall great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search