The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CGR Nashville Studio Build Out
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

CGR Nashville Studio Build Out

Well, a lot of people have asked me to do this... so here it is.

I was slow getting going... so I got it all caught up on a blog site HERE

http://cgrstudios.blogspot.com/

I plan to begin duplicating as much of it here as possible (pictures, etc).

Anyway... we are going to try to have the doors open by mid-march... so we are going to be working like CRAZY. So... forgive me in advance when I am too tired to post all the pics, etc in both places... like tonight.

p.s. Thanks for all the contributed on the "how much power DOES an SSL take to run?" thread... we ended up going with a Amek Mozart with 40 Rupert Neve Modules. We are flying out to Denver Friday to pick it up and we will drive it back to Nashville ourselves.

And... so it begins.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Looks really cool. Congrats on finding a place in Berry Hill. I love that part of town, awesome vibe.

And you're right next to Guitar Center!!heh
Old 23rd January 2007
High End Moderator

Wow, Steve, you're moving fast.

Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
Looks really cool. Congrats on finding a place in Berry Hill. I love that part of town, awesome vibe.

And you're right next to Guitar Center!!heh
Yup! And more importantly.... right next to Blackbird for easy rentals.

And yeah... we really wanted to be in Berry Hill, it's such a great community for music types. Thanks all!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for Jesus

Sounds like fun !

Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

As always...you can check out the blog here... but here is today's post:

Another long day... but we got a lot done. Another wall frame (and one little one) are up. I finally got the fax line working. The DSL line is on, the file server/exchange server is in and in the process of being configured. The Green Room is pretty much done... and green... with all the tape off!

We spent some time shopping for doors today. We have decided on a pretty cool idea for our non-sliding glass doors. At another studio I work at they did this and it works really well. We are going to take a 36" exterior wood door slab (with full length tempered (double) glass in it) and a 32" exterior wood door also with full length tempered glass and attach them to each other. The 32" door gets cut down a little at the top and bottom. You put a sealer between them and them screw the smaller one to the larger one. You then make two levels of seals in the frame (we are building that), and voila! A double layer door that provides great isolation at a very low cost. Pictures of those to come later...

Also, we are flying out to Denver on Friday to pick up the console. You may remember we got an Amek Mozart with 40 Rupert Neve modules.. We are renting a truck (not cheap) and driving it back to Nashville. It's still cheaper than having it shipped though... and much better since it will be in VERY caring hands the whole way.... ours.

Here are some of our current progress:

Oh yeah this is the part that really sucks. The gear is really piling up in my little room where my temporary mix room is. I am working so much at the studio I haven't had time to even check out some of the new stuff that's coming in. REAL bummer. The alarm system goes in tomorrow and my workstation for my studio b/office should be here Monday... so I will move a lot of this stuff over there then. I did hook up the original black AKG 451EB's though since I got them used. I ran them through the 312's on an acoustic guitar. Heavenly... truly heavenly!! Can't wait to get them on a hat... under a snare... or even on overheads.

Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

We are on are way out to get the console. I posted some stuff from yesterday... we got some more walls up, etc..
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

The trip to Denver

Well...we have a console. It's in a million pieces... but it's here.

Check it all out here: http://cgrstudios.blogspot.com/
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Day 15

Well... what a crazy day!

Let me keep this short because I am pooped.

Highlights:

Went to pick up some of the gear at GC Pro. Yipee!!! CRAP!! I can't really mess with any of it!!! Grrrrr....
  • The console is missing a VERY important rail that the channel strips mount on!! Arrrggghhh!! The fellow I bought it from can't find it either. However he is super, super cool and promises that if neither of us can find it he will pay to have it fabricated (can't get these parts anywhere). So... tomorrow... I will search through ALL the boxes and stuff... one.... more.... time.
  • We are getting some more walls up! Yea! We picked up a lot more supplies today and it's moving along. We are starting on our window boxes. Though I would LOVED to have all the windows that are in this building... it was just WAY too expensive to replace them with windows that would reject all the noise (the studio is fairly close to a street). So...we are putting air-tight boxes around most of them. Those are going up now..
  • My Dad drove up for North Carolina to help for a few days. That is cool! Another family member mentioned he might come as well... gotta reply to his e-mail. Also we have a couple other volunteers showing up off and on to help!!
  • Oh yeah... I switched to using the actual day of the project... instead of the day of posting... if that doesn't make sense... it's ok... it kind of doesn't to me either at this late hour.

So.... anyway... here are some of the pictures. Thanks for reading!!

You can get more/bigger pictures on the blog HERE.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Is that a Big Mic case in middle of those boxes?

Aaron
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post

Aaron
Actually a Peluso 22 47LE. I tried one out recently and was blown away. I liked it every bit as much as the actual 47 we had at the session. I actually ended up picking it for the lead vocal! So... I had to have one.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I work in Berry Hill as well! Welcome to the neighborhood, it's a great place, but after awhile you'll get sick of the 'Berryhill 3' (Calypso Cafe, Baja Burrito, & Sam & Zoe's). Where are you guys located at. I'd love to stop over and check it out one day.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sender View Post
I work in Berry Hill as well! Welcome to the neighborhood, it's a great place, but after awhile you'll get sick of the 'Berryhill 3' (Calypso Cafe, Baja Burrito, & Sam & Zoe's). Where are you guys located at. I'd love to stop over and check it out one day.

507 East Iris. Come on by!! We are working long days... so we should be here. Just ask for Steve.

Yeah... I have been hitting subway every day... lol.

oh....and yes... to all... I do have a kick ass alarm and insurance already...
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm right down the road at 518 East Iris, I'll mosey on over in a bit.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well… I have gotten a little behind because we have just gotten so busy. Very little sleep here.

Here are some highlights. David Rochester from Technical Audio Services came by and looked at the console and pronounced it to be in pretty darn good shape. He took some parts to re-cap, etc. We also purchase two isolation transformers from him to create our tech power system. We are going to run the console at 240 to cut power consumption and heat. This will be on an isolated, balanced 240 circuit. We will also have a separate, isolated balanced 220 circuit for house tech power in addition to standard power for light, etc.

Some friends have been coming by to help. Mark Kelly, Scott Shively both have put in a lot of hours! My Dad drove up for North Carolina last week and put in several days worth of work as well!! Thanks guys!!!

We are getting some walls up, running some cables. We got our business server up so we have e-mail, fax, etc.

It’s still a lot of work… but we are moving quickly and are confident we will be ready for our Grand opening just a little over a month away (March 17th).

Anyway… here are the pics… more soon!!

More pics on the blog: http://cgrstudios.blogspot.com/
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Addict

Admit it Steve, you moved into that location because of Mothership BBQ! Don't deny it now....

heh

Scott
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
Admit it Steve, you moved into that location because of Mothership BBQ! Don't deny it now....

heh

Scott

Heh, heh!! It is very close... and VERY yummy for sure! However... with all the money we are spending... my wife has no problem "guilting" me into eating a lunch she packs me most days... lol!!!

I have updated the blog.... a lot of the gear is here, and waiting.

Here are a few pics... check out the blog for more (ps... I learned how to thumbnail pics on here... click on the pic for full size... ):

This one is my little setup out in studio "B". It's going to be my office and a little mini-studio for writing, etc. Yes.... that is Vista... and no I am not running it on my audio production machine. That's my office machine... I have a 4 port dual monitor KVM that will allow me to switch between 4 dual monitor computers. Works great, very cool!! Vista?? Ehhhh... not so impressed yet. It's purty though.

Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'm back!!! I have been under the weather... but feeling better now.

Here is the latest entry and some of the pics. For all the latest, check out the blog HERE:

Hey everyone,

Sorry I am so far behind on this blog. We have had a few setbacks, and I got really sick and so I just haven't had it in me to post. However, now I am recovering and feeling much better.

So... what setbacks you ask?

1. We called Michael at Comfort Zone Heating and Cooling to come and put returns in the new rooms that will be quiet and provide adequate returns so those rooms will heat/cool. When he came to look at the building he discovered that there was an old vent system in the attic and it was coated completely in asbestos. It also had been moved around a bit and some of the asbestos had gotten lose. So.... it was a health hazard and had to be removed. At first the owner of the building (we have a long term lease on the building) didn't want to do anything about it, but he quickly came around and did the right thing and paid to get it all removed. The AC guys are coming friday.

2. We also discovered that there was no ground AT all in the electrical system in the building. Yes... that is VERY dangerous. So... we had to have a ground put in at the meter before we could move ahead with our 2 isolation transformers and our tech power scheme for the studio.

3. We have decided to fully isolate the drum room that we need to use several layers of isolation material. This has slowed us down as well. Why all the isolation you ask? This part of the building is a converted garage and doesn't have much isolation from outside (car and airplane noise was getting through) We are doing several layers because we wanted to preserve the size of the room as best possible, but isolate completely from outside noise. We are very satisfied with what we have decided on. Here is what we are doing:

We put a layer of mass-loaded vinyl (auralex sells this branded as "sheetblok") on the existing sheetrock. Next, we attached 1 x 2's to that, that we will attach the next layer of sheetrock too. Then we filled all the gaps with 703 insulation. We are then going to add a layer of sheetrock. Once that is one, we are going to attach another layer of sheetrock using a really cool new product we found called green glue. The STC figures look amazing on it. We have really good isolation already with just the mass loaded vinyl and the 703, so we are sure that with the sheetrock and green glue we will be good to go.

An update on the console. I was finally able to get the missing piece fabricated, and it fits perfectly!! So... I am getting what I can together on the console. We are planning on having the control room done and closed off, and all the sheetrock up in the drum room by friday so we can move the console in over the weekend and begin to set it up. We don't want to move it in before that stuff is done because of all the construction dust that will be stirred up.

Anyway... here are some pictures of the progresss. Those funky things that look like bombs are our isolation transformers. The picture of the meter shows the connections that were jut put in (the electricians were amazed that the building never had these). There is a ground wire going to a new ground rod that was put in, and another lead going to the water pipes under the house so we can tie in additional grounds there.

Oh... one last thing... if you have e-mailed me with questions, or comments, etc... I am sorry I haven't responded. I have really been overwhelmed lately with being sick and having so much to do to get this finished by our deadline. I will certainly try to answer e-mails as I can... but if you get tired of waiting... re-send it.

Thanks for reading!!

Old 28th February 2007
Lives for Jesus

Looking cool !

Keep it up

Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post

Aaron
I've got a Big ER - great mic...sounds like a U67.
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I've got a Big ER - great mic...sounds like a U67.
That is the Peluso 2247LE. This has immediately become my favorite vocal mic of all time. Holy Cow!! I let a buddy of mine who is an incredible producer/engineer (doves galore and a grammy too!) borrow it for a few days. He picked it in shoot outs over every single mic that they put it up against..... and... they were working at Blackbird that week... so they had a LOT to choose from!!

Anyway... it truly is an amazing microphone. Very, very, very close to a real U47. So close that it's very, very hard when listening to the 2247LE and a U47 together whether they sound different because one is a Peluso and one is a Neumann... or if they just sound different. Ya know... like all U47's sound different.

Anyway... 2247LE is one of the best microphone purchases I have ever made. Right up there with my R121!!

p.s. I have used the Big ER and it is also a great mic!! I know you gotta love yours!
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Dumb noob question for you....

Where are you getting 703 in Nashvegas?heh

Studio looks great! You're right in Blackbird and Korby territory! It's nice that you're right around the corner from La Hacienda (and phonoluxe)!

Be well!
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
Dumb noob question for you....

Where are you getting 703 in Nashvegas?heh

Studio looks great! You're right in Blackbird and Korby territory! It's nice that you're right around the corner from La Hacienda (and phonoluxe)!

Be well!

For the 703, we go to:

Insulation Supply Company
1400 Davidson St
Nashville TN 37206
Phone: 615-425-2700

They always have what we need in stock.

Hey... there is a great new barbeque spot down there too! It's called Mothership Barbeque. Check it out: http://mothershipbbq.blogspot.com/

Great food, and really cool vibe. The decor is all bad 70's album covers. Awesome!! Be sure to use the restroom to wash up before you eat... Trust me... just do it, you will see why as soon as you open the door.

Oh yeah... and yup... cool to be near Blackbird for rentals and to the Korbys. Tracy and Nadine are two of the coolest folks in town. I am always getting compliments on my U87 that Tracy cleaned up for me! Wish my gear budget was a little bigger and I would be picking up some of their mics for sure!
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tip!
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

Console is in!!

Here is my latetest blog entry with a picture. There are LOT's of pictures on the blog... so go check it out HERE.

(click on picture to see full-size)

Well, we have been working like crazy! We have gotten a lot done, and there have been a lot of high’s and lows. I will give you list of some of them here in a minute.

There are of course pictures of our progress below… they are kind of backwards with the oldest ones at the bottom.

First of all… a little explanation of what’s going on. We finished the isolation of the drum room and we are quite please with the results. We got an amazing amount of isolation from outside noise without having to add a huge “double-wall” structure. A combination of mass-loaded vinyl, insulation, sheet rock, green glue, and more sheet rock did a really great job. This room had really zero insulation. We didn’t expect that when we rented the building but we are quite satisfied with the final results. You really can’t tell we did anything at all (well you won’t when we get paint on the walls), we preserved the windows so they could be re-used later by simply removing some isolation boxes (a request of the owner of the building) and we got really good isolation! A win/win/win to us!

We got the treatment of the walls of all the other rooms (except the wood room) done, and fabric is going up on those as we speak. Once it’s all up, we will cover the seams with a wood trim to finish it out.

The middle section of the box behind the console is going to be covered in fabric as well. We have most of the cable run, and now it’s just a matter of soldering the ends.

So… high’s and lows:

Low: We spent a lot of money on a balanced power system with 2 isolation transformers and two separate tech circuits, one for 240 (the console) and one for 120 (everything else). After hooking it all up… it failed the “guitar amp test” miserably. That is the test where I plug in one of my high gain guitar amps and see how quiet it is. This test is very important because… well… we record a lot of guitar players. The amps/guitars have to be as quiet as they were designed to be and the power they are running on plays a huge part in this. Well..it was REALLY bad, hum, noise… uggghhh. But….

High: David Rochester from Technical Audio Services sold us the transformers and the hookup instructions. His partner Murphy Odom is an electrical “jedi” from WAY back in the day. He had been helping us over the phone (he is based out of Memphis), but he agreed to come help us with a solution for the problem we were having. He gave us several suggestions and a list of things to reduce “tesla fields”. The basic tweaks he gave us solved the main problem and now the power passed the “guitar amp test”! Yeah!!! We still have more to do to eliminate the “tesla fields” (which will take even more noise out of the signal), but I am greatly encouraged! If you don’t know… “Tesla Fields” are electrical “fields” that can cause a guitar to hum that can be created by items that are improperly grounded, or have ground loops, etc.. If you have noticed that when a guitar player is standing there with the volume knob on, and as he turns… the hum changes/increases/decreases, you have observed the effect of these “tesla fields”. We are going after eliminating these fields completely and Murphy was able to identify several things causing these fields (hot water heater hooked up incorrectly, AC with improper ground, etc..) So… we are fixing each of those things which will be great. The problems are already solved almost completely and these few last tweaks will be the “cherry on top”!

Low: Well, I have been having to work really, really long hours on all of this I really miss my family. My oldest daughter (3 ½) has made it pretty clear she doesn’t like Daddy being gone so much, and it’s been forever since my wife and I have been able to have a date. It’s been a real hard haul.

High: My family has been really supportive! My wife has been just amazing. Really encouraging and the kids have been great too. Even Georgia (though clear she wants me around more) and has been supportive. So… .it’s great to have such a wonderful crew to come home too!! I know I would have given up by now were it not for them!

Low: Wow… we have spent a lot of money. Everyone told me it would cost more than I thought it would… so I added a lot of “extra” to our budget to cover that. However, it’s gone even beyond our “extra” expectations. It’s a pretty heavy weight on me, but we know this is gonna really take off once we get it going and believe it’s worth it. (We are accepting donations from anyone that feels sorry for us of course!!) Anyway… if you ever do this…. get a really good estimate of what you think it’s gonna cost… then double it. You should be real close.

High: Despite the risk God has continued to provide and we are moving towards getting the studio open. We already have some days booked in April and more interest! My faith and my family have kept me going and we still believe that is going to be a place where a lot of great music of all kinds will be born!

Low: We are behind schedule. We had to push back our Grand Opening a week. We had family coming to town for that… and I feel bad about it… but it’s unavoidable.

High: We ARE having a grand opening party for friends and family despite the fact that it will be late. It will be fun, and though I know we won’t be 100% finished for the party… I am looking forward to a party!!!

High: JT and I both are getting really excited about getting things fired up here over the next week or two!! It’s hard to believe that I won’t have to haul my mobile rig around from studio, to studio any more! It’s hard to believe I will actually have a place to work that serves clients in a way that we can be proud of and will allow us to develop our own production company on our terms and schedule!

High: Well… it’s spring here in Nashville… or right on the edge of it. The temperature is warm, little bits of green are starting to show up. I just LOVE this time of year. It’s my second favorite season (full on heat of the summer is my favorite).
So… life is good! Whatever comes I know we have given this our all and the best of what we have. I take real comfort in that. We only have a one life… and I think we might as well try to live out our dreams so we don’t end up at end saying “what if?”, or “why didn’t I?” We know that we are going to enjoy this spot and that our clients will appreciate greatly all the work, planning and attention to detail that is going into this project!

Rock on!!
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I was wondering how your studio was coming along while I was sitting in Mothership BBQ the other day. It was my first time there, pretty awesome!

All this hard work you guys are putting in will pay off for sure. It's looking great! Good luck with everything.
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
I was wondering how your studio was coming along while I was sitting in Mothership BBQ the other day. It was my first time there, pretty awesome!

All this hard work you guys are putting in will pay off for sure. It's looking great! Good luck with everything.

Thanks! ya know... I try to eat lunch there (Mothership Barbeque) at least once a week. I just love the rib plate!!

We powered up the console today and are now working out the kinks. Yee haaw!!
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Hey... we are open!!

More stuff to do of course... lot's of little things... but we are up and running. heh

Check it out here! http://cgrstudios.blogspot.com/index.html
Old 4th April 2007
High End Moderator

Hey Steve

even though it wasn't completely finished, the studio looks great and has a great vibe. I think you'll be having some cool sessions in there.

Congratulations.

PS: did you get a chance to check out the VooDoo?
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
PS: did you get a chance to check out the VooDoo?
Per our phone conversation... I sure hope to before you pick it up Friday! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search