The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
questions about Wunder EQ section
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

questions about Wunder EQ section

alrighty,

i am about to take the plunge on 2 chanels of Wunder PEQ1R, alongside a PAFour, 2 channels of Daking pre/eq, a Mic Pre-IV amd 6 channels of DAV.

i have however noticed that several GS who own or have owned the PEQ1 are selling or have sold them in preference of the PAFour.

so, what's the craic here? is the Wunder EQ not so nice? is it lacking something when compared to, for example, the AMS 1073, Chandler LTD-1, GR EQ2NV, API 550/60, etc.?

what do you find it most useful for? can you describe its charcter, as apparent to you and yours (ears, room, etc. of course)?

how close is it to the a) design and b) sound of the 1073 EQ? (which i have used and completely dig)

these will be the only 4 channels of analog EQ i will have for some time, notwithstanding winning the lottery or some such luck. until i can afford something a la pultec anyway.

my studio is aimed primarily at tracking various forms of rock and roll, blues to whatever they're calling the really heavy stuff these days.

any experiences shared graciously received,

regards,

richie.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

the wunder eq is nice... Not dead onto a 1073 but nice nonetheless. Nothing in my opinion is dead on to the 1073... There are things that are close, and the close ones alot of times sound better than a 1073. I may be in a minority here. I sold my 1073's a while back and I have never looked back.

You already have 16 channels of preamps, why get another pre/eq?

There are some nice eq's you should be looking at that will come in at or under the cost of 2 peq.

2 lil freqs
2 chandler tone control
Summit Eq
Avalon 2055
Massive Passive
Ibis
Qure
550a's

And the list goes on... And if you really need 2 channels more of preamp then look at the vintech x81 or the x73i. Aurora gtq, although the eq isn't as tweakable as others.

But for a totally different sound all together, you could go for old focusrite isa 110's. Buzz audio arc, pendulum quartet, etc.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

wunders rule..... in the same league as 1073's etc but with a twist. better top enf i think.. but hey dont listen to me.. try them out if u can.

you WONT be upset at the wunder and i would have wunder for the price of a neve any day.

wiggy
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I like the high shelf on the Wunder better than on the 1073, which, to be honest, is also about all that is useful on the Wunder EQ to me. The mid-band is mostly too wide to be really useful for mixing with too few frequencies and the low shelf muddies things up in a hurry...

I like the concept, but in use, for me, its just not there. I know others have had a similar experience.

I think the mid range on the 1073 is pretty speical and I especially like it for vocals, when used in conjunction with another eq...
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I have used the PEQ1R and I own the PAFour. I'd go for four Germanium Tone Controls and a PAFour.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Vote 1 for the Wunder EQ here. I have a pair. I find that I get the outcome I'm looking for really easily and musically... A bit of boost at 12.5K a bit of boost at 60Hz a bit of cut at 350... the Q just always seems right for broad brush tonal changes and the character that is imparted along with it is really sweet. I just love it.

I have an NSEQ2 as well... its really a great device but I tell you that a lot of the time I get the sound I am after with the Wunder a with a whole lot less hassle.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

The midrange on a 1073 is one of a kind IMHO... for electric gtrs its just a simple no brainer.

And i concur witht he comments that its kinda broad stroke... in terms of that broadstroke.. i would days its between neve and qaud eight.. with Q8 being VERY WIDE!!!!!! like ya mamma!!! hahahheh heh heh heh

And i would prolly err on the side of saying that its more of an additive EQ and addictive one too..

Where as the 1073 can handle all tasks with easy and is a better allround in a subjective fashion but i found that the wunder was jsut as cool and if not better at some things like adding a bit of body and crispyness to snares.. the DI on the Wunder is killer... but im not gona rave any more do a search cos i did a big rave on it when it first came out.

Wunder is cool.. and so is Mike.

Wiggy
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

I have 2 PEQ1r's..lovely big and open preamps..clean,but not clinical like a Hardy.
I agree,EQ= a broad stroke variety.
I use em pretty much for mild sweetening,no drastic carving or tweaking.
Good for adding hi's to a pair of coles or 44's.
not as colored as a 1073 ...especially in the lo mids
nowhere near as aggressive as say, a Daking EQ..
Really great for big open stereo room soundsthumbsup thumbsup
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Roundbadge,

How would you compare the Wunder to the Tonelux EQ ?...

Thanks,

Olivier.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

okeysmokey,

thanks to everyone for sharing all your experiences.

i have a gut feeling that i will be very happy with the Wunder EQ section. i'm looking for REALLY nice tonal shaping / sweetening as opposed to anything in the swiss-army vein. as long as the Wunder has good mojo and will behave similarly to a 1073 (in a broad sense) then it'll do the tricks i want it to nicely.

besides, all i gotta do is LEARN the sound of thing, right? like anything in this game.

i'm not looking for something to fix (in the mix or otherwise) my tracking **** ups.

the combination of 6 each of 3 complimentary flavours of preamps is what i want for my new setup, 18 mic inputs being necessary.

so, i'm gonna take the plunge on the 2 x PEQ1Rs, along with a PAFour, 2 x Daking Mic-Pre / EQs, a Mic-Pre IV and 6 Channels of DAV.

anyways, i'll keep you all posted over the next few months when i get my first little studio up and running!

can't wait!

regards,

richie.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Hey Roundbadge,

How would you compare the Wunder to the Tonelux EQ ?...

Thanks,

Olivier.
The Tonelux eqs are 4 band with plenty of redundancys freq wise..
also the the hi q buttons on the 2 mid bands and lows..and hi shelf peak/shelf buttons definitley make em more flexible IMO.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
...as long as the Wunder has good mojo and will behave similarly to a 1073 (in a broad sense) then it'll do the tricks i want it to nicely.

regard
The Wunder pre is lovely.
But the only similarity to a Neve is it's all class A discrete and three band.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

EQ'ed dude

I just wanted to clarify that the Wunder Audio PEQ1 comes from a different family tree than the 1073. The Wunder is a descendent of the Allotrope module. The only thing in common was the origin country and the era i.e. UK in 1971. They are both Class A discrete with transformers, inductors, and single ended 24 volt. Just like a Ferrari and Porsche both have 4 wheels and an engine.

It takes about a minute to hear the initial differences but after 15 years of recording with hundreds of 1073's and 8 years of working with the Allotrope/Wunder, I am just understanding the total subtle differences.

There is no secret that all the early British EQ's were in the same ballpark. You got your 3-band inductor based EQ. Where the mid band called the presence was the "bang-for-the-buck" and had Inductive mid band. Sometimes there were 2 mid bands.

First gain stage in the Neve BA283 card is vaguely similar to the Wunder. Both preamps stages have 3 transistors with feedback loops but the other components around them are different.

The key differences are due to the transformers. The Wunder transformers are very large units with a low turns ratio using heavy gauge wire which makes them saturate rather nicely.

The Mu-Metal is 80% Nickel with Iron & Cobalt for smoothness; the 1073 has a steel output trafo.

The Wunder transformers have virtually no phase shift at 20Hz and 20KHz where the 1073 has almost 130 degrees at 20KHz! Unlike the Wunder output trafo the 1073 Pulls DC current through the transformer as it changes the amount of standing current.

Different core lamination summarizes it in a nutshell.
Attached Thumbnails
questions about Wunder EQ section-what-.gif  
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the detailed info wunderkap!

i freakin love techy details!

cant wait to rattle that spiel off to some young punks, let them know who knows what theyre doing. when ive got my wunders of course.

regards,

richie.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

typo correction

I was just reading my post and I wrote 10KHz near the end of the post but I meant to say 20KHz. I edited it so it now says 20HKZ. argg!

\/\/ )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search