The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
yamaha pm2000 - still a good choice in 2015?
Old 23rd December 2015
Gear Addict
yamaha pm2000 - still a good choice in 2015?

posted this in so much gear ... before but no reaction - so now in hi end

hey there,

after selling my harrison 32a console due to my move to berlin i bought a midas venice f32 and am actually ok with it. i really appreciate a desk that works, really. but that vintage gear who*e in me wont stop yelling and so i was directed towrds an yamaha pm2000 which is supposed to sounds pretty awesome. i read thru every thread on the net and here but i wanted to see if i can get some more opinons on this ...
Old 23rd December 2015
Well Fletcher from his Boston days and Jim Williams have done great mods on the busses and stuff on these brilliant old consoles.:-)
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Cool thing about that console is you can change the sound just from switching to different transformers...and op amps as far as that goes...

and there is an inductor eq mod kit that JLM sells to make some ch's inductor eq....

The console sounds warm stock I'm sure but you can improve or change it to fit what you like...

I had a smaller version of Yamaha console that had pretty much the same circuits that was 12 ch...big warm 70's sounding console...

I you can get it for a good price I would go for it!!

If I didn't already have my Auditronics 110 console I would look for a pm2000.
Old 24th December 2015
Gear Addict
what would you call a good price for a very good conditioned 32 channel desk?
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

I have seen them go for $2100 on up to $5000....depends on condition and how good of a deal you can dig up...
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

after a quick search on ebay I found this...It's very similar to the pm2000..

yamaha pm2000 - still a good choice in 2015?Yamaha M1532 Mixer | eBay
Old 24th December 2015
Motown legend

The PM-2000 was designed by an engineer from Quad-Eight. While anything can be modded, it is seriously good stock compared to most other consoles.
Old 25th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The PM-2000 was designed by an engineer from Quad-Eight. While anything can be modded, it is seriously good stock compared to most other consoles.
WOW
never knew that
I figured it was reverse engineered by Yamaha
I have owned the m1516a and worked in a studio with a pm 2000 and know them well.
I have now a pm3500 set up something about the pm3500 that I love
linear controlled but it has a sound that is usable and the eq is much better than the pm2000 but the pre does not compare to the pm m15 era.
that japanese sound is real here .
crazy
I have it running with a rather fat set of racks and it shines
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Addict

Pre-AMps sound great

I used to have a pair of these in My studio 5 years ago. Unfortunately somebody walked off with them, (maybe cause they sounded too good? )

I would love to have a pm2000 console in my b-room. the idea of being able to buy it stock and not have to mod etc to get a good sound really is appealing after going through extensive hassles to get my soundcraft 6000 into perfect working condition...
Old 25th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
posted this in so much gear ... before but no reaction - so now in hi end

hey there,

after selling my harrison 32a console due to my move to berlin i bought a midas venice f32 and am actually ok with it. i really appreciate a desk that works, really. but that vintage gear who*e in me wont stop yelling and so i was directed towrds an yamaha pm2000 which is supposed to sounds pretty awesome. i read thru every thread on the net and here but i wanted to see if i can get some more opinons on this ...
Hello, I have a PM2000 32ch very solid and well built console
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

Love our PM2000.

Everything sounds great through it, EQ is musical.

The lack of a normal master section is sometimes a pain, but the routing matrix sort of acts as 4 masters...
Old 28th August 2016
Here for the gear

8 channels on my PM2k have the hi/low-mid inductor eq mod and I must say it really helps the sound compared to the stock eq's. Has anyone swapped out the NE80200's op-amps for anything else?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search