The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Mini mixer compared to TG1 THD mode Summing Mixers
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear
Chandler Mini mixer compared to TG1 THD mode

I’ve been thinking recently about going ITB and just having a summing mixer and it’s made me think about what I would miss most from my studio if I didn’t have it.

The answer was my TG1 but not just because it’s a great compressor but mainly because of the THD mode. I use it on so many things and it nearly always works for me.

So I’m wondering how the Chandler mini mixer compares. Would running it hot give me a similar sound or is it something unique to the TG1?
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
I’ve been thinking recently about going ITB and just having a summing mixer and it’s made me think about what I would miss most from my studio if I didn’t have it.

The answer was my TG1 but not just because it’s a great compressor but mainly because of the THD mode. I use it on so many things and it nearly always works for me.

So I’m wondering how the Chandler mini mixer compares. Would running it hot give me a similar sound or is it something unique to the TG1?
The Mini Rack Mixer has 22 transformers, it makes a difference. Basically 20 TG line amps and 22 transformers in one box; it's a big fat and wide sound! Like a large format console stuffed into 5 rack spaces.
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
The Mini Rack Mixer has 22 transformers, it makes a difference. Basically 20 TG line amps and 22 transformers in one box; it's a big fat and wide sound! Like a large format console stuffed into 5 rack spaces.
That's what I've read. I suppose I really need to listen to one to see if it's what I'm looking for.

The summing mixer I'm using at the moment is 16x2 and has 20 transformers. All old Neve parts but it's just passive so it's not actually line amps on the inputs. I really like it but it can't be a bit "soft" for me sometimes. My TG1 is a bit edgier so I think I'd like that in a summing box. That's what I'm wondering if the Chandler mixer will give me.

With the Mini mixer. Does the channel level pot actually drive the line amp or does it come after the amp?
What I mean is... With my TG1 I can crank the input to get it to saturate and trim it down with the output. Could I push stuff into the mixer and trim it down with the level or does the level pot actually determine how much the channel saturates?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post

With the Mini mixer. Does the channel level pot actually drive the line amp or does it come after the amp?
What I mean is... With my TG1 I can crank the input to get it to saturate and trim it down with the output. Could I push stuff into the mixer and trim it down with the level or does the level pot actually determine how much the channel saturates?
Bump
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search