The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ya out ther Thrill....Need knowledge opinion on Tannoy Sys 12 DMT II vs LSR
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Ya out ther Thrill....Need knowledge opinion on Tannoy Sys 12 DMT II vs LSR

I'm looking for knowledgeable opinions on a very tough subject - Monitors. I know this is a difficult question, but even I can answer the easy ones.

I've been looking to do a monitor upgrade and a friend brought over his JBL LSR28's for me to try. I really liked the smooth high end and tight and well defined although somewhat lacking low end. However, they did sound nice in my room. I thought these might be a reasonable choice.

Now I have found a pair of Tannoy System 12 DMT II for about the same price. Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to hear the Tannoy's and I know how subjective monitors are.

What I'm looking for is for anyone who is familiar with both of these to render an opinion comparing these two. No doubt the Tannoy's with a 12" driver will deliver more lows, but are they well defined and tight like the JBL LSR 28's? Are the highs smooth and not fatiguing?

Thrill, I've read your previous comments in other posts dramatically favoring the Tannoy's over the LSR's, and I know the Tannoy's are a more expensive speaker and that cost doesn't necessarily translate to love affair with one's monitors. Your previous advice helped me decide on the version II Manley Variable Mu and that has become a love affair.

I have an older Bryston to push the Tannoy's until I could squeeze a Perrreaux or Hothouse out of my budget and eventually bi amp them. I just need a little input to help make a decision.
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySound View Post
I'm looking for knowledgeable opinions on a very tough subject - Monitors. I know this is a difficult question, but even I can answer the easy ones.

I've been looking to do a monitor upgrade and a friend brought over his JBL LSR28's for me to try. I really liked the smooth high end and tight and well defined although somewhat lacking low end. However, they did sound nice in my room. I thought these might be a reasonable choice.

Now I have found a pair of Tannoy System 12 DMT II for about the same price. Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to hear the Tannoy's and I know how subjective monitors are.

What I'm looking for is for anyone who is familiar with both of these to render an opinion comparing these two. No doubt the Tannoy's with a 12" driver will deliver more lows, but are they well defined and tight like the JBL LSR 28's? Are the highs smooth and not fatiguing?

Thrill, I've read your previous comments in other posts dramatically favoring the Tannoy's over the LSR's, and I know the Tannoy's are a more expensive speaker and that cost doesn't necessarily translate to love affair with one's monitors. Your previous advice helped me decide on the version II Manley Variable Mu and that has become a love affair.

I have an older Bryston to push the Tannoy's until I could squeeze a Perrreaux or Hothouse out of my budget and eventually bi amp them. I just need a little input to help make a decision.

Its a preference thing really. I would say if you find the JBL's smooth than definitely stick with those. The DMT Tannoys may sound a little too bright to you.

The JBL's are more of a one sound monitor and the Tannoy dual concentric tweeters makes the sounds stick out more(which makes panning things very easy). Neither one i would say would be my only monitors to mix on exclusively.

I think a good dual sub helps each tremendously.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Thanx Thrill. Exactly the info I was looking for.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Can't agree much on that assessment. The 12s are by no means forward sounding, nor are they bright. Beautiful sweet highs with some of the lowest ear fatigue ever. Very hard to beat Tannoy highs and mids; Dynaudios would be the other benchmark in this category.

First of all, you'll want to make even comparisons, which means comparing the Tannoys to JBL lsr32s. Do that and there are no bass issues with either.

JBLs will give you the classic American sound in spades-punchy, concise, tight, dry, clear, unembelished/matter-of-fact, perfect organic warm articulate bass but not as lush, as musical or having the same soundstage of or with Tannoy transparency. Tannoy bass full and good, just not a strength as the JBLs, but this is only noticeable in comparison. Tannoys with the edge in mids and in sweetness on the highs.

Apples and oranges, almost at different ends of the spectrum. The best way to compare with limited selections is to take same-sized monitors from each company and extrapolate the results to larger monitors. No, the comparisons won't be perfect because there are variances going up/down in monitor size but in general the same characteristics will apply.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I use the System 600 dual concentrics. I've thought I was 'over' them a few times, but they just keep giving me relevant input.

I have ATC 20's now but always check in on the Tannoys.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Guru

After re-coning my Tannoy's (LGM12's? Can't remember the model #) SIX times in the course of a year and a half - I gave them away. GAVE them away. Tannoy offered to give me new speakers at cost from the factory. I declined. Personally, I'll never own Tannoy again. They tried hard to make things right - but in the end, their one comment sealed it for me. They said:

"We know there's a resonant frequency that destroys the surrounds, so we changed them and now that won't happen anymore". Well yeah, but how come my NS10's have more bass? "Ummm....." No answer. Their solution was to put in stiffer surrounds which destroyed the sound for me.

Anyway, I switched to the LSR28P's and couldn't be happier. I have 2 5.1 sets of them. The JBL sub (12P) will probably give you what you need down low, but you might want to check out one of the JBL cinema subs. heh Then you will be REALLY happy.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Old post but...my 2 cents

I am a long time and devoted JBL fan who has owned numerous models and also a pair of Tannoy System 12DMT's.
Though the LSR 28's are a much more refined monitor they still exhibit the JBL creed which is based on 'forward voicing." The system 12's in comparison are more neutral, smooth sounding, non ear fatiguing and comfortable breathing speakers, especially when biamped and soffit mounted. (two ingredients I consider essential-- huge improvement) They maintain their perspective regardless of SPL and most importantly what ever you do on them translates well on virtually any other system. This is why I bought them--to accommodate other engineers using my studio.

That said, personally, I hate them and will gladly sell you mine. They exhibit two distinct qualities I do not like. First and foremost the image size of the horn does not match up physically with the speaker. No problem if you monitor in a narrow focused sweet spot but, this deficiency is glaring once you move out of location. Secondly, the speaker has no personality-- normally deemed a good quality, I just don't like the flat lifeless sound that is the main characteristic of this system. I much prefer the dynamic realism of any JBL system that breaths musicality into the program. With the exception of the popular 4430 series (a very non JBL pedigree) way better bass, mid and highs. Beats the Tannoys in every direction. For me the articulation or 'forward voicing' which is second to none and a JBL trademark, are a tool to define my work, which I have learned to keep in proper perspective.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I use the System 600 dual concentrics. I've thought I was 'over' them a few times, but they just keep giving me relevant input.

I have ATC 20's now but always check in on the Tannoys.
Interesting to run across this thread. I used to have Tannoy System 600's and now have ATC SCM20's. I sometimes think that another pair of System 600's would be a good second monitor match. Considering that you posted this in '07. How do you currently feel about that pairing???

PS. I am running the ATC's with a Bryston 4BSST. Very nice amp match.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search