The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer 963 mixer
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Studer 963 mixer

I got an offer on a Studer 963, and I was intrested in info about this desk.. Is it any good??
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

studer 963

i got a 963 with 8 mic pres and 12 stereo line ins , 8 groups.i bought it on ebay from a small radio station about 3 years ago.i ordered the complete service manual for my model from studer last week because i wanna grow old with it.its a virtually no noise item and the overall sound is very rich.you have to make do with 4 sends though...
its build fantastic, very solid, very very service friendly, 2 sizes of srews, no part hidden under or behind another part.the compressors/limiters on the busses and sum are simple
( gain, release, ratio ) but soundwise a bit like 473 neumanns...
if you have more qs, please ask - and excuse my germish...tom
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

very happy with my 963

Runek,

since a few months i am the proud owner of a Studer 963.
it's the best piece of gear I've ever bought in my life.

to give you some of my thoughts:
- the Studer preamps are in the same league as SSL
- the desk is superstraightforward, easy to use
- broadcast quality - low noise
- Studer desks are easily serviceable (get the original manual, you'll know everything about your desk)
- great build quality, like a swiss clockwork ;-)
- loads of inputs (depends on the configuration - every desk was made on special order)

mine has 20 mono, 4 stereo, 8 groups (with comp/lim - very useable), 4 aux, 2 bus (master) - if you can get a bigger configuration: the better.
- every mono channel has Mic, Line and tape input (with mixdown the mono units become tape inputs - so it's not an inline desk), patchable inserts....

it has integrated in my little DAW studio within 48 hours and I'm just testing a few different AD/DA converters to sound good with the Studer, so I might be entering the threads about X vs. Y vs Z soon...

(check the config of the connectors before you buy, a some come with or without bantam patchbays, EDACS/Tuchel with custom made multis, mine has XLRs mainly, but also EDACs and 25-pin Dsubs)

just dropping some rough mixes on a few channels made everything sound better.
better than any digital summing can achieve at the moment, for my part.

in other words: buy buy buy

hope this was any help,
Stefan

and no, I don't work for Studer...
Old 21st May 2007
Here for the gear

Price?

Hi there,

I am also thinking of buying a 963.
Can i ask you what price might be good for a unit that needs a litle service (to smoothen the faders that have not moved in years and stuff) ?

Greetz

EJ
Old 13th December 2009
what is a good price for a 16 channel version of this mixer?
Old 14th December 2009

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search