The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Ultimate mix buss compressor
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Your Ultimate mix buss compressor

Ok so I've been on a quest lately and have been asking about your mix buss set up etc on other threads.
My last mix buss comp question (I promise to limit my questions on this topic after this)lol..
If you had unlimited $ and had a chance to choose only one stereo comp for strictly mix buss applications only, what wold that be? And why?
Thanks!
Old 14th December 2015
AB3
Lives for gear

Dramastic Audio Obsidian - adds glue - add a little width to the mix and just plaints sounds great. A little goes a long way. But what it does is essential.
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Dramastic Audio Obsidian - adds glue - add a little width to the mix and just plaints sounds great. A little goes a long way. But what it does is essential.
Thanks. Have you used one and compared against SSL etc? If money no issue, you won't go old SSL G?
Old 14th December 2015
AB3
Lives for gear

I only compared it to the Smart C2 as far as an SSL comp goes. I don't know how one can be much better than the Obsidian for that type of sound.
Old 14th December 2015
I like the Obsidian glue too but it's not the ultimate buss comp for me. It's one of the better sounding SSL styles but I almost prefer the TK Audio as it sounds tighter, punchier and less smeared. Then I'd rather pair that with a good Vari Mu style if I want creamy colour and weight....
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks! Any thoughts on the following?
1. Overstayed
2. Rockruepel
3. Chandler Zener
Also, speaking of pairing up, any recommendations for a pairing with a 33609?
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

Curious to get some more thoughts here.... Thx!
Old 15th December 2015
Gear Maniac

I love the Zener -- bought it thinking it would rule my mix buss. In practice I've found it works best on rock-ish mixes that can benefit from a less open/aggressive sort of sound. It works great there; but less so for more subtle things IMHO. What I didn't expect is that I would love it on Vox -- feeding Channel 1 in THD mode into Channel 2 in limit mode is awesome. Can be great on acoustic tracks if you want a tight, compact sound. It's awesome for getting smack out of snare and kick with the slower releases in Limit mode. And of course it can do a admirable room crush on the faster releases. My knee jerk response when I first got it was -- LOVE IT! Than I had a bout of disappointment when I realized it wasn't the one stop mix buss solution I hoped it would be. And now, having readjusted my expectations and spent more time with it -- welp, the wedding is back on. I love it -- for tracking and mixing, drum buss and occasionally the mix bus. Haven't even tried it in parallel much.

The Obsidian is much more flexible on the mix buss IMO. It's not as forward/compact as the Zener and not as grabby or punchy as an SSL; but it's big and flattering on the mixbuss in all the right ways for my taste. It's always acceptable, if not ideal. But in context the Zener or a more traditional SSL sound may be exactly what you want -- and it won't replace them.
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

that's a very good post right above. i really don't think there is any one ultimate buss comp. it really depends on the rest of the chain. i always mix it up a little and make changes and so on, basically to keep things interesting. if i could only have one...... probably the ssl x-rack module.
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

Agreed, there can't be only one. I'd go for a SSL384 or clone (VCA), a NTP179-170 (FET), and a Gyraf G22 (Tube/mu). But then again, I'm particular about these.

Jakob E.
Old 15th December 2015
I would throw in the P4S SE to go with that Gyraf vari mu!
Attached Thumbnails
Your Ultimate mix buss compressor-inside_01_small.jpg   Your Ultimate mix buss compressor-inside_02_small.jpg  
Old 16th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Loving my Serpent Audio sb4001. Great glue, and a bit of grit when pushed. That said; still pretty transparent.

I will say, that sometimes I long for something with obnoxious colour and weight...maybe a Shadow Hills dual vandergraph...
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Foote P4 is wonderous thing of depth, width & control.
A pair of Highland Dynamics BG2's might be nice to follow up with!
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

No one using gray SSL FXG384? Is it not cool anymore?
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
No one using gray SSL FXG384? Is it not cool anymore?
G384's with original DBX gold can VCA's have a vibe I dig. The side chain is summed on the 384 which keeps the center image solid, but it doesn't have the width of compressors that can operate in dual mono. They are also kind of on the colored side compared to a lot of other VCA compressors. They have a little low mid thickness which can be a good or a bad thing. It should also be noted that original G384's DO have a sidechain input that you can use to High Pass, Low Pass or EQ however you want.
Old 16th December 2015
Nothing. The console analog outputs feed a Burrbrown PCM/DSD4222 ADC. Limiting/compression is saved for mastering. I've done it this way for decades.
Old 16th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
I would throw in the P4S SE to go with that Gyraf vari mu!
I have to admit, I tend to prefer vari-mu compression on the mixbuss... (hi everyone by the way... first post and all that...) I use the IGS TubeCore Mastering version (the old model, not the 3U) and it glues the mix very nicely...and seems to work with most stuff I work on (rock, Hip hop and electronic music of all sorts)
Old 16th December 2015
Hi Pauluk,

My post was actually what FCS users say about the combination, also that the P4 line has a decided vari-mu kind of action considering it is VCA based.
However, it is the combination that I wanted to draw attention to.

Best
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauluk View Post
I have to admit, I tend to prefer vari-mu compression on the mixbuss... (hi everyone by the way... first post and all that...) I use the IGS TubeCore Mastering version (the old model, not the 3U) and it glues the mix very nicely...and seems to work with most stuff I work on (rock, Hip hop and electronic music of all sorts)
Old 16th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Pauluk,

My post was actually what FCS users say about the combination, also that the P4 line has a decided vari-mu kind of action considering it is VCA based.
However, it is the combination that I wanted to draw attention to.

Best
Roger
Fair enough... I misread...
Old 16th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauluk View Post
Fair enough... I misread...
Sorry wasn't chiding, just pointing to the use of 2 comps.
I have no beef with using just a variable mu type.

But I have heard from lots of users that the combination brings something to the table that neither can do alone. And, yes I would also like to try this.

Peace!
rf
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Well, since money is no issue and I can only chose one:

Fairchild 670 or an Analogue Tube AT-101
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear
I use an SSL X Logic G series. Does anyone know how this stacks up against a Focusrite Red 3?
Old 17th December 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Nothing. The console analog outputs feed a Burrbrown PCM/DSD4222 ADC. Limiting/compression is saved for mastering. I've done it this way for decades.
Its good to see Jim Williams is still Jim Williams LOL...
Old 17th December 2015
The AT101 is a thing of extreme beauty! I like the beige paint.
Stereo with all the bells and whistles is around $20,000.00 USD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Well, since money is no issue and I can only chose one:

Fairchild 670 or an Analogue Tube AT-101
Old 17th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sorry wasn't chiding, just pointing to the use of 2 comps.
I have no beef with using just a variable mu type.

But I have heard from lots of users that the combination brings something to the table that neither can do alone. And, yes I would also like to try this.

Peace!
rf
No need to apologise

I should try this... VCA into Vari-mu
Old 17th December 2015
InnerTUBE Audio Dual Atomic Squeezebox
Old 18th December 2015
As previously mentioned, Obsidian. I had $4k to spend but went for this. Am very happy..
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

I like mixing into any SSL-type with the ability to high pass side chain.

I like to pair that with something like a 747 for overall warmth and broad EQ adjustments. That or the sluttier combo of a Vari Mu and a Pultec style EQ.

If I had to let plugs cover one of those, plugs would do the SSL thing.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear
I switched from SSL G Comp to 2 Cranesong Trakkers.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
I switched from SSL G Comp to 2 Cranesong Trakkers.
Please talk more about this transition how does the 2 trakkers compare to the ssl sound?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search