The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neumann m269- how come ive never heard of it
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

neumann m269- how come ive never heard of it

Peace to all
Ive been researchin and getting knowledge from this site for nearly 2 months now since im gona build my own studio and what not- thanks to all of you this site is the most useful thing in the world if youre a musician or engineer.
<br>
been hearing about mics that i would never have heard of otherwise like the neumann m269. Did some research on it and they describe it as a 67 with an airier top. Has anyone used it. how come no one really talks about. Is it in anyway similar to the u87ai?
<br>
the search for knowledge continues

blessings

Xavier
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

It is basically a "better" version of the U67 which is a tube mike.
The German Rundfunk had some technical complaints about the 67 .
Neumann made this updated version called m269.
I A/B d them years ago and found them to be very similar to my ears.
Capsule is the same as in the U87 which is the next generation non tube version.
The newer U87Ai is transformerless which makes an audible difference.
I personally like the tube versions better but having said that: If you compare an old U87 with a U67 using a V76 tube preamp the difference is not that big anymore...

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

i dont know why so many people hate on the u87. I think it is one of the best mics that are being produced today. The fast atack and punchiness of it cannot be found any other mic i dont think.
just found out about the m269 a little over my budget i think.
One more thing id like to know is if i contacted neumann usa could i get get a u87 body. i want to put an innertube mod in it. Or is there any other place i could get one from

Its really buggin me
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
dont know why so many people hate on the u87. I think it is one of the best mics that are being produced today.
I like the U87Ai too....I just prefer the older version......matter of taste..Nothing wrong with the U87Ai ....apart from the price maybe....

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

i do hip-hop mainly and i think its oneof the best mics in the genre- its got this already compressed sound, punch and grit that just kills for rappers. yea the price is a bit of a bitch i wont lie.
if anyone has any idead whre i can get just the body from. please let me know

blessings
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

The 269 is purely a numerical change to the 67 and was made specifically for the broadcast industry.

Great mics in general.

Jim
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
The 269 is purely a numerical change to the 67 and was made specifically for the broadcast industry.

Great mics in general.

Jim
Not exactly...the 269 uses an AC701 tube (also found in the M49) while the U67 uses an EF86. I think M269s sound better than U67s, although they are usually more expensive.

Rick
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for correcting me!

So...same basic design, yet IMPROVED.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

The M269 is our second choice for trumpet on scoring sessions (after RCA44bx).
It is a very good mic.
The difference from the U67 is due to european broadcast standards, as they standardized on the same tube. This simplified the powersupply situation amongst other things.

While they have many things in common with the u87ai they have different uses here.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

The AC701 needs to be soldered in to the mic, while the EF86 is socket based. Its also much more expensive at this point then the EF86. So the U67 is quite a bit more convenient when its time for a new tube. Neither one sounds better or worse, as they're both incredible mics, with the 269 having a bit more open top end. I'd choose the U67 if given the choice (and I did).
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

In addition the M269 is variable pattern by use of the N52 PSU....The other difference is in output and of course freq response VS the U67. Love my 269, ever get a chance..dont pass one up.
You'll save money in the long run as it gives back such wonderful tracks that need very little eq. I'm shocked at how much I prefer it over a mint KM254 on acoustic gtr. for the last project I've just finished.
Stephen Paul once told me the 269 is George Massenburg's go to mic for Linda Ronstadts vocals but the diaphram in his has the .9 micron diaphram.

Best of luck..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search