The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is it about RADAR?
Old 16th August 2018
Sorry to hear about your woes. The only time I've had an issue with RADAR Studio and Dashboard was with a (non-RADAR spec) USB thumb drive in use; I've since started to use the ethernet port for file transfers. I have an early version of Mixbus installed and it's great for mixdown but I noticed latency issues when tracking and big latency on Harrison plug-ins. Propellerhead Reason is working phenomenally (fast) as is RADAR mode.

I'll check the file folder tomorrow and check which files I have installed; but I'm not an expert on what you should do to fix it..that's up to iZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin One View Post
I hate to bump this thread, but I am not having a very fruitful experience with Iz customer service.
Somewhat of a long story but looking for some help ...

I had some trouble in the past (pre Barry leaving), mainly with windows and the adrenaline asio drivers, and the tech i spoke with on the phone over multiple days and numerous hours had me up and running at the end of the ordeal. God bless that man's patience.

Fast forward 2 years. During sessions, Im having constant radar studio dashboard errors and other types of crashes. Main recording software was Mixbus 32c. I do some research and see Mixbus did have some users with crashing issues, but they were for different reasons I came to learn. Unsure of the reasons why mine kept crashing, I contact Iz again expecting the same level of customer service, and after not getting ahold of anyone for a couple days, I finally get a call back. Without even listening to a complete explanation of the symptoms, it was suggested to reinstall windows, even though the radar dashboard was the main culprit in the crashing. Unfortunately I could not have down time due to some projects, so I spoke to their windows tech that did help some but did not solve my issues 100%. Was promised a call back which never happened.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. The computer itself stops booting completely and I am forced to reinstall windows. I finally get to do what was recommended to me months prior, which will supposedly fix my issues. It did get me back to a clean install and after much reinstalling of backups, I was expecting to be working like brand new. Now my Radar Adrenaline asio version 1.60 wont initialize, version 1.25 creates these white noise bursts through my monitors when initializing, takes about 5 times longer to initialize and open projects than 1.60. And Im being told "well it's technically working so just use it as is. No need to do anything." For a product that costs as much as car, you would think the help would be a bit deeper...

Is there anyone with radar studio that would be willing to help a dude out? Im mainly looking for some answers and maybe a file or two.

While im at it, are these two listed in the uninstall list?

Thank you very much for any kind of help.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Arthur thank you. I am definitely interested in seeing what IZ installs on the computer.
As a side note, Mixbus is actually incredible as a DAW. Just updated to 32c version 5. Sounds amazing and user friendly to boot. Highly recommended.
Will check in with you tomorrow. Thank you again.
Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
Arthur thank you. I am definitely interested in seeing what IZ installs on the computer.
As a side note, Mixbus is actually incredible as a DAW. Just updated to 32c version 5. Sounds amazing and user friendly to boot. Highly recommended.
Will check in with you tomorrow. Thank you again.
Thanks Lumin One. Harrison are always tempting me :D

I checked the 'Programs' folder on my RADAR Studio and I have much the same as you except only one iZ/Windows Driver Package (dated 12/01/2014 14.34.2.635) and one iZ ASIO Driver v1.25. Another difference is that I have no iZ Session Control (whereas you have): can't remember if that is for the iZ Session Control hardware or not?

Let me know what you think. I have a friend with RADAR Studio who had an issue a few years back and fixed it by re-installing the Session control software but he needed to save a file/log first and then replace that after the new install. I think his issue was USB thumb drive-related but it affected the hardware session controller too. Do you use a session controller?

Let's talk later and if needed I can contact my friend to see if he can recall exactly how to re-install and which log/file to save.

Best, Arthur
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Arthur I think I got it. Had to do a clean windows reinstall again, but this time ended up uninstalling the 1.25 asio from the jump and installing 1.60 immediately. As for the pic i posted, looks like the 2 IZ instances were ASIO related. Made sure to get rid of earlier dated entry, which is attached to 1.25 and now only have 1.60 listed. Initial tests with Mixbus 32C v5 are working fine as before. Now to reinstall all plugins, programs, etc.
Seriously, thank you again for the help man.
Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
Arthur I think I got it. Had to do a clean windows reinstall again, but this time ended up uninstalling the 1.25 asio from the jump and installing 1.60 immediately. As for the pic i posted, looks like the 2 IZ instances were ASIO related. Made sure to get rid of earlier dated entry, which is attached to 1.25 and now only have 1.60 listed. Initial tests with Mixbus 32C v5 are working fine as before. Now to reinstall all plugins, programs, etc.
Seriously, thank you again for the help man.
You're welcome and please let me know if you get any further issues.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Addict

I know that Barry is now doing RADAR support through his company Solid Audio. That's probably the quickest method for resolution these days.

SolidAudio RADAR Support
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Will do Arthur. Thank you again.

I had no idea Barry was providing service for Radar still. Definitely miss the way he ran iZ. Thank you for posting his new website. I am sure it will help folks in the future.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will do Arthur. Thank you again.

I had no idea Barry was providing service for Radar still. Definitely miss the way he ran iZ. Thank you for posting his new website. I am sure it will help folks in the future.
I have 2 radar studio's Really happy with the sonics.. and of course radar DAW sounds light years ahead of protools. When I master for people, I take there music and import it into Radar DAW, and just the playback of Radar DAW kicks the piss out of most Platforms..

Barry is a amazing passionate dude about his inventions..
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Advise to a prospective buyer ...

I'm thinking about a Radar Studio. Given the experiences with post Barry IZ do we have confidence in the product going forward? It's a big chunk of moolah and I don't want to buy from a company that has poor support or may not be around for long. What's your gut tell ya?
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Love mine,but I worried about the support,but Barry nows has his own support line,which makes me feel a little better😳
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Super confused here. Why is Barry supporting radar instead of iz? Iz still sells radar units right?
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Is it free to call Barry for support?
The new radar company support is terrible.
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
I'm thinking about a Radar Studio. Given the experiences with post Barry IZ do we have confidence in the product going forward? It's a big chunk of moolah and I don't want to buy from a company that has poor support or may not be around for long. What's your gut tell ya?
I would say, if you get one, you will not be disappointed sound wise. it sounds ridiculously good. you can be confident about that. With my unit, I haven't had any hardware issues. Everything has been the special version of windows related. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say I have had issues that after some troubleshooting were resolved. I hope my problems have been solved once and for all. Beyond the few issues I have had, it's a dream and huge step up from my previous computers and multitrack recorders. Not even close sound wise.
Can you demo one and try for yourself? I know that used to be the case.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I would say, if you get one, you will not be disappointed sound wise. it sounds ridiculously good. you can be confident about that. With my unit, I haven't had any hardware issues. Everything has been the special version of windows related. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say I have had issues that after some troubleshooting were resolved. I hope my problems have been solved once and for all. Beyond the few issues I have had, it's a dream and huge step up from my previous computers and multitrack recorders. Not even close sound wise.
Can you demo one and try for yourself? I know that used to be the case.
Thanks everyone. I emailed Tim at Dale in NY. Hopefully they can arrange a demo. It does make me nervous that the support experience is waining for some. That said its a good fit for me production wise. I'm trying to keep my workflow as straightforward as possible preferring to concentrate on making music. My experience's with Avid over the years on the video side were not satisfactory so not considering them.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I am in Long Island,if you want to see the radar studio in action
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Rwsand...
I'm in Millbrook, Have 3 Rsdars, if ya wanna give them a try?
Old 19th August 2018
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I emailed Tim at Dale in NY. Hopefully they can arrange a demo. It does make me nervous that the support experience is waining for some. That said its a good fit for me production wise. I'm trying to keep my workflow as straightforward as possible preferring to concentrate on making music. My experience's with Avid over the years on the video side were not satisfactory so not considering them.
In fairness, think most of the 'support experience' issues have been due to the personnel changes at iZ rather than problems with RADAR Studio as such; another factor is the smaller number of units compared to a mass-manufacturer means more situation-specific 'beta-testing'.

The only time I've had an issue has been with a non-recommended USB thumb-drive (which required a reboot) and since using the ethernet connection for file transfers I've had zero issues.

Long-term I think many of the potential issues (e.g. PC-component redundancy) are field-serviceable and it's reassuring and great news that Barry is offering support via Solid Audio.

The workflow (hybrid and ITB) and audio quality is outstanding and I enjoy making music.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Rwsand...
I'm in Millbrook, Have 3 Rsdars, if ya wanna give them a try?
I'd love too Paul, thank you. I'll call asap.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
I am in Long Island,if you want to see the radar studio in action
Very much appreciated Johnny. Paul is literally 30 minutes away so I'll run over to Millbrook. Love to stop by when I'm in your neck of the woods though.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
In fairness, think most of the 'support experience' issues have been due to the personnel changes at iZ rather than problems with RADAR Studio as such; another factor is the smaller number of units compared to a mass-manufacturer means more situation-specific 'beta-testing'.

The only time I've had an issue has been with a non-recommended USB thumb-drive (which required a reboot) and since using the ethernet connection for file transfers I've had zero issues.

Long-term I think many of the potential issues (e.g. PC-component redundancy) are field-serviceable and it's reassuring and great news that Barry is offering support via Solid Audio.

The workflow (hybrid and ITB) and audio quality is outstanding and I enjoy making music.

Thank you Arthur! I've been on the bleeding edge for so long I'm a little sensitive but not adverse to being part of the beta correction experience. I know it goes with the territory. As long as they don't go belly up I'm good.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Guru
I would absolutely step up to Radar, but funds are lacking. I got a Sound Designs MixPre 6 since I like stand alones. I use with Mixbus and sounds great. Someday I hope to step up. Support has been fantastic.
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very much appreciated Johnny. Paul is literally 30 minutes away so I'll run over to Millbrook. Love to stop by when I'm in your neck of the woods though.
Cool beans
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quick Radar Studio question. Is it cool to mount these in an angled faced studio desk such as a sterling modular plan a/b? I have the lcd screen installed and am looking to upgrade my desk, but am curious to how the unit deals with heat at an angle.
Have any of you that have done this just take the top lid off for heat dissipation or do something else?
Would love to hear. Thanks!
Old 31st August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quick Radar Studio question. Is it cool to mount these in an angled faced studio desk such as a sterling modular plan a/b? I have the lcd screen installed and am looking to upgrade my desk, but am curious to how the unit deals with heat at an angle.
Have any of you that have done this just take the top lid off for heat dissipation or do something else?
thats a good question .. there is another thread here at GS about a piece of gear that keeps shutting down becuase they have the gear mounted at an angle .. i had all my gear in an angled rack for about a year .. then it was just too much Heat coming off the Rack .. you would really need to Feed AC into the back of your racks if you are doing that .. i was not able to do that in a rental house ..
Old 31st August 2018
Quote:
iZ told me it's OK to use at an angle - that said, it's a relatively heavy unit so it would need to be a good solid rack. An issue with desk mounting might be the unit noise; under the desk is OK IMO but if it's on the desk in front of you or at head height you will definitely notice some noise...enough to affect tracking or quiet critical monitoring for sure. Maybe OK in a noisier background environment.
The original RADAR's were designed to be kept in separate machine room ideally so the Studio is a big improvement. I might look into a quieter fan at some point but TBH it's not bothering me in its current position under the desk.
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

True. i currently took it out of my rack underneath my desk to utilize the lcd screen for plugins, and put it on the same shelf as my monitors. yes i did notice the noise, but its not enough to kill a session. My desk situation isnt the best, hence an upgrade. I would like to have most of my tactile effects units and preamps in front of me, and a sterling modular has the form factor i am looking for. The angled racks could be some concern but i believe i can find a way to circulate the air inside the desk.
I have a feeling the radar studio lcd would bear the brunt of all the heat trying to escape when rising. I will most likely just take the lid off and occasionally check on dust levels.

Thanks for the info!
Old 3rd September 2018
I used a RADAR for 15 years with basically no technical problems until the very end, and even then they may have been minor. I kept the converters and dropped them into an ADA II, so I never took the time to find out what was wrong.

When I did need support, it was always given directly from Barry and always great.

If I was looking to buy something now and concerned about support, I call Barry as a first step and see what he says.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search