The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event Opal or Neumann Kh310 A Studio Monitors
Old 11th December 2015
Here for the gear

Event Opal or Neumann Kh310 A

Hi, I currently own yamaha hs80m and I really don't like them. They are just way too bright, even with the HF switch down. I produce aswell as mix on them and it's time to finally give up on them before my ears drop off. Im either going to get the opals or the kh310. However I haven't had a chance to listen to them. I heard the kh120 and really liked them. Can someone please let me know which is the less bright of the two. I like dark sounding monitors. I will be mostly making house music. So Event Opals or Neumann kh310 guys?
Thanks
Old 12th December 2015
Can confirm 310's have a dark sound, but never heard the Opals
Old 12th December 2015
the KH310 are $2000 more, and i have also heard that the extra money is well worth it, but i have never heard the KH310, just reiterating what i have read here.
Old 12th December 2015
Here for the gear

I can get a used pair of opals for £1200 or used kh310s for £1800. Really not sure. I'm thinking maybe the opals as I make mainly house/dance music. What do you think is more suited to the edm sound?
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

I haven't met anyone that preferred the KH310 to the Opals (those who heard both, that is). I have heard both and I bought the Opals! Amazing monitors!
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want your monitors to extend well into the low end or you like to monitor at relatively high volumes, the opals are the monitors to choose. The kh310 tend to begin to distort fairly early when pushed and also don't extend as low. If neither of these is a problem for you or you intend to use a sub with he monitors, these factors aren't as much of a consideration.
Old 12th December 2015
Happy owner of the KH310 here.
They are not dark, I guess they sound natural and not at all fatiguing to me.
Sure they don't rip off your ears as the Yamahas tend to do.

And in my modest sized room (3.5 x 4.5 meter) they go down flat to 30Hz.

Coming fron Focal Solos it took me a while to understand how they translate but now that I got it, well, I couldn't live without them.

Never heard the Opals though...

Hope that helps!
Andy
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Addict
just got the kh 310s plus the new kh805 sub and for the first time in 20 years i have the feeling i can hear what i´m doing. i had the opals in my old room tested and liked them, bought them but didnt like them in my new room. got a great deal on the neumann package. wouldnt wanna miss the sub tho but thats for clubby music. still it does sound nice with other music too
Old 14th December 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for your help guys. Think I'm going for the opals. Not keen on a seperate sub and I do like to push the speakers sometimes and I noticed that the kh120 had a low distortion level even though they sounded great. So I'm guessing the 310 s would be similar.
Old 14th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 33 View Post
Thanks for your help guys. Think I'm going for the opals. Not keen on a seperate sub and I do like to push the speakers sometimes and I noticed that the kh120 had a low distortion level even though they sounded great. So I'm guessing the 310 s would be similar.
They are like a FRFR pa system You'll love the head room and low end.
Old 23rd January 2016
Here for the gear

I purchased the kh310s after listening to the opals. Not a fan, they are like a club speaker! The Neumanns are incredible and translate perfectly.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

I have heard both, they are both excellent monitors but for me I would be the KH310s any time. They are the only active nearfields/ midfields I heard that made me seriously consider selling my ProAc Studio 100s.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Get the opals
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I purchased the kh310s

i'm in love with the o300 since years. i wonder if they are similar...
Old 24th January 2016
Here for the gear

I haven't had a chance to hear the original o300 but I hear they are pretty similar. The kh310 can go 7.4 db louder though.
Old 24th January 2016
The 310s go a bit louder and deeper than the 300s. They aren't as prone to early clipping on bass heavy material as the 300s. Even though I think they are great I'm not sure if they are the best primary speaker for people doing loud bass dominant music. For rock, most pop, acoustic, classical, jazz etc yes.
Old 28th January 2016
Here for the gear

I have to disagree Nathan. I produce mainly house music and can confirm that the 310s sound great. The bass response on these speakers is amazing.
Old 29th January 2016
Quote:
I have to disagree Nathan. I produce mainly house music and can confirm that the 310s sound great. The bass response on these speakers is amazing.
I'm not in disagreement that they sound great for any genre. They do sound great and are very accurate IMHO. My point is not that they don't have enough bass, or don't go down low enough. I'm on record for years saying for their size they are probably the most extended pro monitor out there. People in genres that produce bass heavy music, in general tend to want to monitor louder on average than the other genres I mentioned. At least based on my experience of talking with those engineers directly. There are exceptions.

If a stereo mix of one genre has 5db (as an example) more low bass information as compared to a mix of a different genre this speaker will clip at the lower db level on the bass heavy material. The speaker will still be producing information down to the low 30hz area either way. If you are producing House music, and you monitor no louder than the 95db range you are likely not having an issue. If someone wants to monitor at club volume levels, or anything approximating that (read:likely to damage hearing) and they are producing bass heavy music I recommend pairing a sub or two with the Neumanns to give them more headroom. A rock, jazz or folk mix can get away with a lot more volume since they traditionally don't have much low octave dominant bass material.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search