The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on compressor rental for drum mix
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Advice on compressor rental for drum mix

Hi,

I'll be mixing an album the next couple of weeks. I'll mix ITB (Pro Tools HD2) with some hardware inserts. I feel OK about using plugins on most stuff except for 'attitude compression' so I'm thinking of renting an extra compressor. It's an album which features heavy drums and percussion playing and the drums need to sound powerful - but in a reasonably natural way. The drums are well tracked in a great room. I have an EL Fatso which I intend to use on drum room mics or drum bus (but suggestions for other purposes are welcome!). Dynamics plugins I have are Drawmer, Waves C-1 and R-Comp, ff d2/3. The R-Comp is usually the only one I use from these.

I can rent one of the following (budget is limited)
- pair of Distressors
- Tubetech CL2B
- Neve 33609

Some quick thoughts: I know what a Distressor can do on a snaredrum and I really like that. I could put a Distressor on kick and snare and the Fatso on room mics. OTOH, with the Fatso I already have EL-style compression. My experience with the CL2B is limited; I did like it very much but have not used it on drums and I'm afraid it's a bit to clean for powerful drums. I have no experience with a 33609.

Which one would you pick, in addition to the Fatso, and how would you them?

Thanks!

Ivo W.
Old 21st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post

Which one would you pick, in addition to the Fatso, and how would you them?

Thanks!

Ivo W.
I would choose them all.

But you are not renting EQ's as well?
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I would choose them all.

But you are not renting EQ's as well?
Budget won't permit renting them all, it's really a low budget - work of love thing...

As for EQ: I have the MDW, Oxford and Waves Ren EQ's. And I have an 8 channel TLA tube mixer (an early model, not the one they make nowadays) which is modded so that it has direct out's, giving me 8 channels of tube EQ. And then there's a Millenia STT-1 which gives me a really nice EQ albeit one channel... I forgot to include the STT-1's compressor in the previous post.

While I know there are better EQ's than this bunch, I can get good results with them. So my idea was that the money would be better spend on a compressor.

Would you rent EQ instead? And if you had to pick one compressor, which one would it be?

Cheers,

Ivo W.
Old 21st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Budget won't permit renting them all, it's really a low budget - work of love thing...

As for EQ: I have the MDW, Oxford and Waves Ren EQ's. And I have an 8 channel TLA tube mixer (an early model, not the one they make nowadays) which is modded so that it has direct out's, giving me 8 channels of tube EQ. And then there's a Millenia STT-1 which gives me a really nice EQ albeit one channel... I forgot to include the STT-1's compressor in the previous post.

While I know there are better EQ's than this bunch, I can get good results with them. So my idea was that the money would be better spend on a compressor.

Would you rent EQ instead? And if you had to pick one compressor, which one would it be?

Cheers,

Ivo W.
If it were me honestly i would take the budget for the rental and book a couple of hours at an SSL studio. If the guy wants powerful drums and they are not powerful sounding already than no processor you rent will really help. You will be doing some sample replacing, some multing, submixing and splits and lots of automation which are all easier done on an SSL. Also you have the EQ's and dynamics on the channels and the buss compressor.

But if this is not possible than from your list i would do one Distressor and see if they have an 1176. If it has to be a buss comp than an SSL buss comp type. If its softer rock(Tom Petty,Fleet wood mac) i would look into the 33609.

For an EQ a Neve.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

what kinda music, and how were the drums recording, like 3 mic's, or full miking, or what? Also how is the room they were recorded in?
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
what kinda music, and how were the drums recording, like 3 mic's, or full miking, or what? Also how is the room they were recorded in?
It's a pretty eclectic album - jazz/rock/worldmusic, moving somewhere between Joe Zawinul, John Scofield-jazzfunk and Living Colour rock influences. The drums were tracked on a DDA Profile desk with additional Focusrite Red and Avalon pre's. We tracked DPA overheads and also a stereo ribbon overhead which I might use on tracks where I want a softer, jazz sound (experimenting...) All drums are close mic'ed also, snare top/bottom, additional cymbal 'underheads' and there are room mics. The kit was a Sonor Designer with a great player. I used some EQ while tracking (Massive Passive on the kick drum, some EQ on toms and hihat) but not too much since not all tracks have to sound big.

Thanks sofar,

Ivo W.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe run the 33609 on the stereo ribbon. Yummy. Whatever you use it on, I think the 33609 would suit you well for this style.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it were me honestly i would take the budget for the rental and book a couple of hours at an SSL studio. If the guy wants powerful drums and they are not powerful sounding already than no processor you rent will really help. You will be doing some sample replacing, some multing, submixing and splits and lots of automation which are all easier done on an SSL. Also you have the EQ's and dynamics on the channels and the buss compressor.

But if this is not possible than from your list i would do one Distressor and see if they have an 1176. If it has to be a buss comp than an SSL buss comp type. If its softer rock(Tom Petty,Fleet wood mac) i would look into the 33609.

For an EQ a Neve.
1176 on drum bus and mults? really?
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:

For an EQ a Neve.
Well the problem is if your budget is only enough to rent a pair of distressors, you're not going to be able to mix anything in an SSL joint for that. I'd rent the distressors, there fast and flexible, really great on drums.
Old 22nd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Pair of Distressors would be cool. Get the ones that have the British mode. Crank them on 2 tracks and bring them up under the original tracks. You might want to throw the bass in there as well to kind of glue it together with the drums.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search