The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summit Audio gear
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

Summit Audio gear

I just read at the Crane Song site that Dave Hill designed most of the Summit Audio line.

Has anyone used it? How does it compare to the crane song stuff? Is it good or crappy?
Old 9th October 2002
One with big hooves

I have a DCL-200 that I use all the time for tracking, on my mix buss and sometimes for mastering outside projects. I was saving for an STC-8 and found the Summit at a price I couldn't pass up. Overall I like it a lot and while it has some color the overall act of compression can be pretty transparent until you dig into it hard. The Pultec-style EQ they make is also cool as is the TLA-100. The TLA is based on an LA-2a but doesn't sound as thick. It is a little more versatile though with switchable attack and release times.

Overall, I'd say it measures up to Crane Song and I wouldn't kick either one out of the room. But, it's really a question of which one you like more. The DCL and STC both have some similar qualitys to them but do sound different.
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Jay; very interesting. I was suprised that he designed tubes into the compressor since he's all about class a discrete. I guess that was for the LA-2Alike spec.
Old 9th October 2002
One with big hooves

On the DCL I'm pretty sure the tubes are only in the output stage. The front end is transformerless and based around a 990 opamp.

FWIW, Dave Hill has designed a lot of other gear that's under different brand names. Some of it even has tubes. And if I told you what pieces I'd have to kill you.

Also, I forgot to mention this before but the customer service at Crane Song has GOT to be better then Summit. A few months ago one of the meters on my DCL died and it was under warrenty. I had to ship it all the way back to CA because they didn't have a NYC area or East Coast service center. Now, because of me they do. Long story short, they said they'd flip the DCL around to me within 48 hours of receiving it. It actually took 3 weeks and that was after I started calling and screaming at them every day. Next time I have a problem the tech I hooked them up with is an hour from me so it's going right to him.
Old 9th October 2002
Dave didn't design the DCL-200. This was after he was gone. The last project that he was responsible on were the early TLA-100's(before Summit changed them).

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I have a DCL-200 that I use all the time for tracking, on my mix buss and sometimes for mastering outside projects. I was saving for an STC-8 and found the Summit at a price I couldn't pass up. Overall I like it a lot and while it has some color the overall act of compression can be pretty transparent until you dig into it hard. The Pultec-style EQ they make is also cool as is the TLA-100. The TLA is based on an LA-2a but doesn't sound as thick. It is a little more versatile though with switchable attack and release times.

Overall, I'd say it measures up to Crane Song and I wouldn't kick either one out of the room. But, it's really a question of which one you like more. The DCL and STC both have some similar qualitys to them but do sound different.
Old 10th October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Dave didn't design the DCL-200. This was after he was gone. The last project that he was responsible on were the early TLA-100's(before Summit changed them).
Actually, the TLA-100 was Dave's first design at Summit, and if I'm not mistaken (and I really don't think I am) he designed all of the A-series (2 RU silver finish tube/hybrid boxes). He left Summit in September '94 to start Crane Song...
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
On the DCL I'm pretty sure the tubes are only in the output stage. The front end is transformerless and based around a 990 opamp.

FWIW, Dave Hill has designed a lot of other gear that's under different brand names. Some of it even has tubes. And if I told you what pieces I'd have to kill you.
Aww come on Jay. Now you've gotta tell all. rollz yuktyy

The smilies here are great.
Old 10th October 2002
Hi Brad,

Yeah i know he built the TLA-100. But after he left they changed them, same name different product(this is why they don't sound the same anymore). I spoke to Dave back around the same time(it was either '95 or '96). I actually bought STC-8 production #4 from him(through Fletch) which I sold about a year after(the freelancers that were coming to my studio couldn't figure out the whole ki/hara thing). I remember he wasn't to happy with the whole production processes that Summit was going through.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood

Actually, the TLA-100 was Dave's first design at Summit, and if I'm not mistaken (and I really don't think I am) he designed all of the A-series (2 RU silver finish tube/hybrid boxes). He left Summit in September '94 to start Crane Song...
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Maniac

?

is the guy leaving the reason summits started to suk?
coz they do but i rember they used not to..?
Old 10th October 2002
One with big hooves

I remember talking to Fletcher right after I got my DCL. He said that they didn't really change the design but they might've started putting some cheaper pats in and didn't really get the gain cell calibration right. Everyonce in a while I think about asking Dave if he'd tweak out my DCL for me. But, given the thing with the lawsuit I'm afraid to ask.

I will say this. If I didn't get the deal on my DCL that I did I don't think I would've bought a new one. Not that it sucks, but for the money there are other things I'd rather own. Like the STC-8 or maybe a 1969.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

Ok, I'm not going to be buying any Summit gear then.grggt fuuck
Old 10th October 2002
Please don't let the negative vibes deter you from buying their gear. I thought the Summit/Neve MPE-200 was a cool pre/EQ(just a little ahead of its time). The TLA-100 is still a usefull comp(although a touch noisy). Their original EQ's are cool. The later stuff is not the greatest, nothing really special. In the end let your ears decide.yuktyy
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by vsl666
is the guy leaving the reason summits started to suk?
coz they do but i rember they used not to..?
I have to dissagree, I think the summit stuff is rocking, i have both TLAs
one [newer i think] has the writing in italics, and the older [non italics], both very nice.

Sean
Old 11th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Dave did design the early Summit stuff. I have a schematic of the TLA with Dave's name on it.

Do a search of rec.audio.pro, and you should find a version of the story of how he came to not be associated with them.

I'd suggest that you listen to the specific piece of gear before you write it off as useable or unuseable. There are things at which the Summit boxes do very well.

Of course, the guys who think that Summit rocks may want to listen to some other stuff as well...
Old 11th October 2002
Gear Maniac

very nice

*shruggs*
i kinda went of them 4 sum reason ?
had to use one a few weeks ago and it blew
so i kinda consined them to my audio dustbin.. but im a fickle critter ...but very nice aint very exiting at the end of the day ..
nice lights tho

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search