The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distressor - Why??
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

i dont get what it is with some of you guys... Most of you that are bashing distressors right now, were praising them 2-3 years ago.

I don't see what's not to like..Sure, the distressor can be misused and abused. It took me a little while to get used to them and figure them out.

They can be clean, and they can be colored... They can be silent but they can be heard. They sound great on alot of things.

I don't get the whole flavor of the week thing that's going on.

One month everyone loves something and then the next week, everyone's bashing the same thing.

I feel like everyone jumps on the bandwagon... One person says something and everyone follows along.

I love you gearslutz, but this is getting really old. I dont get it.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Hi, i just want to add...

Im from London, grew up there but now reside in Los Angeles but If I had to move back to the UK and set my studio back up again over there I would definately before doing anything else, switch the whole power over to 120VAC instead of 240.

I spent my whole life trying to master the (american sound) but as soon as i moved my studio here and plugged it in, All my tracks hit much harder and opened up.

I know you guys are gonna be like "oh well the voltage gets stepped down for a lot of the equipment anyway and ends up being 12vdc" but i truely believe that its something to do with the AC Voltage and the transformers. Especially with my daw (pro tools HD) I see most of the difference.

If you can get hold of some step down transformers and switch your gear over to 110-120 give it a go, i think its a worthy test.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
They can be clean, and they can be colored... They can be silent but they can be heard. They sound great on alot of things.
i am loving the distressor on drums and bass. but that delicate acoustic stuff no thanks. it has to be manley vari-mu.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmasterjedi View Post
Distressors are for kids. One of my least liked compressors. Granted I'm no big fan of compressors in general but Distressors just oooz of bad taste. Whenever I hear a mix that has used them, (And I can hear it). I immediately press the stop button. I'm an A&R person so that goes as a warning to those of you who are recording and sending demos in hopes of getting signed...

SMJ
OMFG,You have got to be kidding..
What label are you with?
Please do tell..and I promise to never send you anything,ever.
So Guys like Michael Brauer/TLA/CLA: big fan of distressors..
..are all crossed of your list?
So I guess you wouldve passed on singing acts like Coldplay,John Mayer,My Morning Jacket,BenFolds,The Ceasars,Athlete,Starsailor,Jeff Buckley,Bob Dylan,Paul Mccartney,Avril Levigne,etc,etc....because Distressors were used in the mix?

Sweet Jesus..Just when I thought i've heard everything
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
To me it always sounds the same. Honk. Real nasal. Bleech. I've tried to like them. I've used them a bunch until I finally gave up. It's not just user error, because I've been with other, very accomplished engineers who put it up there. I recognize the sound every time. If you like the sound it's great. I certainly has some uses. Electric guitars and drums. But I can still hear it.
Which ratio sounds nasal to you? Or do the all sound nasal in the same way?
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
i dont get what it is with some of you guys... Most of you that are bashing distressors right now, were praising them 2-3 years ago.

In 2-3 years it is possible to change your mind you know.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well for me, I've never, ever praised the Distressr. It's never been flavor of the month for me.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Which ratio sounds nasal to you? Or do the all sound nasal in the same way?
I don't have one in front of me and haven't used one in a couple of years or more. But, as I recall, they all had that sound. I tried desperately to get rid of it.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Distressors are for kids. One of my least liked compressors. Granted I'm no big fan of compressors in general but Distressors just oooz of bad taste. Whenever I hear a mix that has used them, (And I can hear it). I immediately press the stop button. I'm an A&R person so that goes as a warning to those of you who are recording and sending demos in hopes of getting signed...

SMJ
This is some funny $hit!!!!
I dont think I'd want anyone to have the bad fortune of being signed to your label.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

BTW, I love my distressor.
Its so damn useful.
Old 22nd January 2007
no ssl yet
What do you guys use Nuke, British Mode, 20:1 etc.. For?

I tend to only use 1:1 - 4:1
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

That's a new variation on the typical cluelessness of A&R people. Can you imagine the hellishness of being signed to this guy's label?

Quote:

SMJ
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

SMJ
Damn! Sounds like my kind of label!! Where can I send my stuff?
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
That's a new variation on the typical cluelessness of A&R people. Can you imagine the hellishness of being signed to this guy's label?
I send music to A&Rs and work in that area myself, and I have never heard anything like what he posted. If I send a killer song to an A&R, the last thing they are going to care about is if a distressor is in the mix. If you are doing A&R and are listening for anything other then killer vibe, songs and vocals then I have to wonder if that is the job you really want to be doing.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
What do you guys use Nuke, British Mode, 20:1 etc.. For?

I tend to only use 1:1 - 4:1
1:1 with british mode on (which is the intended "british mode" AFAIK) works great on stereo drumbus. You can actually limit the drums without losing all the attack and prevent that and reach that heavy compressed sounds without losing all the transients due to peak limiting at mastering.

I sometimes use nuke on room mics, but I tend to be careful to not go into too much limiting otherwise in turns into mash...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

SMJ
I cant tell if your serious? Really? If the band has talent does it really matter what the hell was used on the recording?

Seriously, your kidding right
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

Gear requirements can change/ become redundant/irrelevent over time.
Oh well,thats life
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I totally agree gear requirements and opinions can change...But everytime i hear a distressor basher, I just wonder if they really figured out the ins and outs of the thing.

On some sources, there is a set it and forget it... Drum room mics are pretty easy to get right time and time again.

But on things like guitars, ac guitars, vox, keys, when you initially listen there could be sooooo much flub... I always attributed it to attack/release times... The a/r times kind of consfuse you sometimes because 3-4 attack/release can still be very fast, and for that matter too little input gain can muddy thing up.

I once almost gave up on my distressors, until I finally started using them differently. I mean it can operate pretty silent, and then in a second you can slam it and make things super aggressive. .

The only other thing with that kind of aggressiveness, that i have seen, is the c2.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know... I guess i feel like i am at the end of the whole tone quest thing... I mean I am a total gearslut. But i think people take the whole compressor thing to another world nowadays.

It seems like now were are only searching for the sluttiest looking pieces with the most color. Most of us that are like that want to hear the compressor, hear it's color and bigness.

Not more than a few months ago I was like that too... But I kept feeling my mixes were suffering from my tonequest.

I don't know what i am trying to say, but all i know is that there have been alot of pieces that were hard to get sounding right, but once I figured them out, it was a whole other world.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

I'm probably guilty of not spendig the time to get in all the ins and outs of the thing. I've used it a lot in the past. Trying to figure it out. But I could never get past the sound. So why spend time trying to fix something I didn't like?

What's the big deal if some people don't like it?
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:

SMJ

Ridiculous…… There is way more wrong with the music industry than the use of distressors on a vox track. And as Badge said… so you would not accept anything that comes from Michael Brauer or TLA?

Joker….
Old 22nd January 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Yeeeeah, the SMJ post has got to be a prank. Then again, maybe A&R people really do think that way....I can't tell if it's funny, or sad. Or is that David Band Death going under another moniker?
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBit View Post
LMFAO.
I can't imagine that you have been or will be in A&R for much longer. Unless of course you work for a classical or jazz label.
For you of all people to not understand that distressors (or lack thereof) do not sell albums is laughable.

Fast foward to your future.......

Label head: Whats up with that new band The Distressors? I got word everyone from Interscope to Sony are after these kids! SMJ, didn't you get that demo? What the Fcuk is going on?!?!?!
SMJ: (pushing glasses back onto nose) Uhhh...I passed on em cause they were using distressors.
Label Head: YOU'RE FIRED!!! note to self....never hire audio geeks to pick bands......
hahahahahahhaha omg thats some funny sh!t "pushes glasses back on to nose" ahhahahahaha i love this forum
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i am loving the distressor on drums and bass. but that delicate acoustic stuff no thanks. it has to be manley vari-mu.
I work with a guy who swears by Distressors for acoustics. I have yet to see what he's doing with them or whether I like it though. I hardly ever compress acoustics myself.

Quote:
I once almost gave up on my distressors, until I finally started using them differently. I mean it can operate pretty silent, and then in a second you can slam it and make things super aggressive. .

The only other thing with that kind of aggressiveness, that i have seen, is the c2.
Odd, I always go for something else when I want aggressive. It's too polite for me.

You want aggressive, go for one of these:

I guess the variety of opinions on Distressors are a good indication of how versatile they are...
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

You want aggressive, go for one of these:

[/QUOTE]

Yes! My man!! Spectra Sonics 610 complimiters...
Attached Thumbnails
Distressor - Why??-sp-small-2.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

610's rule.. I got a f*ckd up one that sounds cool even broken.
thats one of the boxes that beats my distressors when I need the extreme
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Distressors are for kids. One of my least liked compressors.
Me likey Distressums.. I must be a kid..
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear
Distressors are for kids-and sometimes for Silly Rabbits. The Distressor is definitely a TRIX to be used.

Isn't it a real shame that kid like engineers such as Bob Clearmountain and Michael Brauer like using Distressors. These guys have mixed a ton of hits. No doubt about it, most of us would like to have the Lucky Charms and success these guys have achieved.

Quote:

SMJ
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I don't have one in front of me and haven't used one in a couple of years or more. But, as I recall, they all had that sound. I tried desperately to get rid of it.
Each ratio is a separate circuit and they have a different tone. I feel that way about the 6:1 ratio.

My guess is that your skills and monitoring environment has changed over the past "couple of years or more" The 10:1 sounds pretty different. I'd be really surprised if you heard it that way now.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Gear requirements can change/ become redundant/irrelevent over time.
Oh well,thats life
So can girlfriends, addictions, flavors, months...........
It's not you, it's me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search