The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying a tape machine: where to look.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Buying a tape machine: where to look.

Is there any place you fine cats could recommend I start looking for a good 24 track tape machine. I scour ebay every so often, but was hoping someone could give me some additional info as to where to look.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

You do know a 2" machine will be a nightmare of line-up and maintenance? Don't you?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I agree that........

they are "high maintenance". Ebay is the best. But if you've got the budget and want new, Studer is offering the A 827 gold edition for around $30,000 or less! Available at Vintage King. If that's a little rich for you, sometimes Craig's List is also a good source........oh yeah, music schools or studios sometimes liquidate. "Googling", "vintage 24 track reel to reels for sale USA", works. I know that these machines could be problematic, but that doesn't stop me from looking them up just for the "buzz" , they sure are "perdy" and in my opinion age well, atleast aesthetically!!....good luck
Old 21st January 2007
Did you Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_bunny View Post
Is there any place you fine cats could recommend I start looking for a good 24 track tape machine. I scour ebay every so often, but was hoping someone could give me some additional info as to where to look.
A group of top producers did a blind test in a London studio, hired in session musicians to have a Jam and sought to put the sonic digital V analogue question to rest.
Turns out they all liked radar the best really. Even though the Studer 16 track was freshly aligned by a bloke that had been looking after it for twenty odd years.
Its just mythology these days, spend the money on better converters/compressors or a few good pre's. By todays standards they are really just a nightmare.
http://www.recordproduction.com/mpg-event-june05.html

I had to look after an 800/24 and an MTR 90 MK 11 for bloody years, I don't love them anymore mate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search