The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tape Delay units- any guitarists out there?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Tape Delay units- any guitarists out there?

I just bought a mint space echo 201 tonight for 200 bucks so I couldn't pass it up. I have JUST tried it out straight in a cheap solid state amp for a quick listen (haven't it with pedals yet). Sounds very, well analog! I like the warmth! I did notice however that on the High setting, there was some hiss, but the highs of the guitar tone were robbed. In fact, the amp's solid state drive channel seemed MUCH cleaner with the 201. Is this normal? Or would a component be out? or the Tape too old? I figure tomorrow ( already 4 am now!) when try it with a distortion or OD in front of the 201, the lack of drive and snarl won't be an issue. However, what will happen when I plug straight in and then from 201 straight into the plexi? Will the plexi's snarl be lost??
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
I just bought a mint space echo 201 tonight for 200 bucks so I couldn't pass it up. I have JUST tried it out straight in a cheap solid state amp for a quick listen (haven't it with pedals yet). Sounds very, well analog! I like the warmth! I did notice however that on the High setting, there was some hiss, but the highs of the guitar tone were robbed. In fact, the amp's solid state drive channel seemed MUCH cleaner with the 201. Is this normal? Or would a component be out? or the Tape too old? I figure tomorrow ( already 4 am now!) when try it with a distortion or OD in front of the 201, the lack of drive and snarl won't be an issue. However, what will happen when I plug straight in and then from 201 straight into the plexi? Will the plexi's snarl be lost??
My understanding with all these tape delay boxes is that they do darken up your tone. Compered to say a Roland digital delay, a lot of older units also eat up a bit of your signal. The plex's tone will be altered by having the 201 in front. HEll, just having a tube screamer in the signal chain without actually being on does something to the tone. These characterisitcs however, are what people are going for when they aquire these units.

The tape could be very old as well, so perhaps it's too warm.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Using low speed on the tape = less highs, but long dealys require this.

Is tape head alignment done?
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I love the old tape delays for the right applications

I just got an RE301 from this forum and it's awesome. I think they work best on a clean guitar tone. The chorus is sick. The delay is fantastic and nothing can come close. If you're trying to get a massive lead tone with higher gain guitars then the TC2290 is the way to go. With clean amps I have to always recommend the Rolands.

PS I'll give you $250 for it... ;}
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Yes I do love the warmth! For 200 BUX! F#$K me! I was estatic when it turns out that this guy who works in a music, here in Taiwan, tells me he is selling a space echo 201 for 200 usd! I bought it that day! I gotta say I was surprised how big it is! I think this beast for layering and general recording will definitely help me make my digital recordings sound more analog. I am going to experiment more of course with full range boosts, treble boosts, OD, eq pedal in front of the 201 and see if I can't get some more highs. I will note any progress in case any of you out there care,....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search