The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone have a neumann m150 or m50? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Addict

anyone have a neumann m150 or m50?

I'm thinking about getting one to use in the studio....

I'm not a fan of alot of close miking and i know this is one of the de-facto decca array mics.

how would this mic react to standard vocal duties, acoustic instruments, ect ect...

Would it sound dramatically different then my schoeps?

thanks
marshall
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Addict

as i've been doing some research, i noticed that neumann makes a tlm version---- solid state.

I've been under the impression that the whole tlm line sucks in general, would this be an exception?

and i cant seem to find a price for the tlm version
Old 1st November 2012
okay, here is a session from just a few days ago. Apologies if Soundcloud has done a bit of compression; That was not my doing. But the M150's were about a foot outside the piano rim, aimed at the strings, about 3 feet apart. The guitar was forward in the mix with 2 Blue Omnimouse mics about 1.7 feet away from the guitar and about 2 feet apart:

9-04 lydian sunrise duo edit by william beauvais on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

What do you guys want to know?
Old 12th May 2013
Here for the gear

anyone know how much is a Neumann blue modified m50 is worth?
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Nut

Sorry no answer to the question, but just listened to the Lydian Sunrise and it's great. Great music and a really nice recording. Nice one John!
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

I have a vintage m49
Does that count ?

$ 8500
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Here you can hear some "pure" examples of M50's at work (the "music" button on the left):

http://pucksound.nl/index_2.html
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Original M50s can be very hard to source. They almost never come up for sale. I have seen them once or twice over the years, usually when a big facility like Air has a sell off. They were close to £10k each.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
I have a vintage m49
Does that count ?

$ 8500
A totally different animal, or so i am repeatedly told.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
A totally different animal, or so i am repeatedly told.
You may get an idea of how different from the M 50 the M 49 is from this piano test comparing their respective clones the FLEA 50 and the FLEA 49. The M 50 is a pressure transducer SDC. The M 49 is a variable directivity LDC. Both share the same (or at least similar) tube electronics.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Blue modded mics are discounted because of the bogus changes that Blue implemented. I would say that a Blue M50 is worth around $6000.

The problems have to do with Blue replacing original Neumann capsules, replacing transformers with Blue transformers, bogus power supplies and changing of parts to Blue parts.

All of this is a no no and reduces the price. If the capsule is original Neumann, and if it is the aluminum capsule, then value would be higher.

The only good part about a Blue M50 is if they kept the Neumann M50 capsule.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Simmons View Post
I've been under the impression that the whole tlm line sucks in general, would this be an exception?
FWIW I traded something to a friend for a TLM67...and I like it. Use it quite a bit, actually.

A different friend of mine is a connoisseur of vintage U67s and he borrowed it for a week. His assessment is that the TLM67 is a fine mic that he would buy, but his vintage 67s (each of which sound a little different to each other) have a more familiar "bite" that he prefers.

I have no idea how a TLM150 compares to an M150.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

In my studio I've got a trio of M250s (radio broadcast M50s), and TLM50s. I do not own the M250s, they are privately owned; We store them and rent them out for the owner. I would venture that if someone were to offer North of $55,000 the owner might let them go.

I had one of my TLM50s reskinned by Neumann. Cost was $2,000.

The difference between the originals and the TLMs is huge. No contest that the originals are better in every way other than noise floor.

We do see Flea M50s, also. Much closer to the originals.

Would love to hear some of the Wunder M50s.

These are unique and wonderful mics.

KM53s are another good option.

Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Shhhh heh

Ps. Still in love with the 140!
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
In my studio I've got a trio of M250s (radio broadcast M50s), and TLM50s. I do not own the M250s, they are privately owned; We store them and rent them out for the owner. I would venture that if someone were to offer North of $55,000 the owner might let them go.

I had one of my TLM50s reskinned by Neumann. Cost was $2,000.

The difference between the originals and the TLMs is huge. No contest that the originals are better in every way other than noise floor.

We do see Flea M50s, also. Much closer to the originals.

Would love to hear some of the Wunder M50s.

These are unique and wonderful mics.

Absolutely, the TLM50 don't have a lot to do with M50, and the M150 even less...
I know the Neumann M50 for a long time because I have to joy to sometimes work in UK Studios that have lots of them. Now after a long long search for over 10 Years I finally found a pair in mint condition, with the original Alu Capsule that comes in perfect shape (the mics have not been used more than a few weeks and then have been stored since now). Checked fully by Andreas Grosser and his word were: "I have not seen something like this the last 20 years". Now they are mine and I couldn't been happier. It is sad that something that good can not been recreated today. I had a Trio of KM 253 and while they are great and sonically close somehow, the M50 are total different beasts.
Lucky man here for sure:-)

Daniel
idee und klang

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search