The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kii Three-Have you heard them?
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Addict

Kii Three-Have you heard them?

Hi folk!!!
I'm very curious about the Kii three speakers. They seems to be the next big things!!! Have you heard them??? Let us know.

Thanks
Yannick
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Addict

Old 1st December 2015
Here for the gear

They look incredible.
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Maniac

Let's hype them to the max!!
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
very nice review here...

-3db a 19hz quite impressive!

http://kiiaudio.com/phocadownload/AU...eb_english.pdf
Very interesting - cant help feel slightly skeptical about what it says about directivity of the bass though. They do look very impressive on paper thats for sure, though I also notivce their waterfall graph only goes to 3ms and down to 250hz - doesnt tell you that much as its the time response in the bass thats always the tricky thing - Id like to see a waterfall to 100 ms and down to the full 20 hz - resolution could you get your anechoic chamber on ?? .. - anyone know if they can be auditioned anywhere in the UK or Ireland ?
Glad I didn't consumate my lust for the 8351s as these might be better - need to work on both for a few days to really tell - but yes I am also drooling

Last edited by Gusss; 4th December 2015 at 01:50 PM..
Old 4th December 2015
i've heard them (in a professional listening room, not some makeshift presentation hotel room) and already started saving...no hype, amazing speakers and if you look at the technical details it's a bargain
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet View Post
i've heard them (in a professional listening room, not some makeshift presentation hotel room) and already started saving...no hype, amazing speakers and if you look at the technical details it's a bargain
Already ordered here!
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Addict

Let us know your impression carloff!!!
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
How is the stereo image and the phantom center?
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
How is the stereo image and the phantom center?
I haven't heard anything better. The instruments are simply in air. Uknown experience to me yet
Old 4th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
I haven't heard anything better. The instruments are simply in air. Uknown experience to me yet
exactly my impression....was listening to some acapella group on them and i could exactly hear at which position everyone stood in front of the mic.

phantom center was stunning (and i have a trinnov optimizer in my studio so i know how tight the center can get)
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
exactly my impression....was listening to some acapella group on them and i could exactly hear at which position everyone stood in front of the mic.

phantom center was stunning (and i have a trinnov optimizer in my studio so i know how tight the center can get)
Yes I could really hear how wide the instruments in the air are - not only where they are located. And also so detailed and yet pleasant sound . I could hear every mistake in my mix which I know about but cannot properly hear on the other speakers - and they - the mistakes- are only muddying mix. Amazing experince my Kh are sold and in January i'm looking forward a lot !i expect new level in my mixies .
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Please, keep us informed.

Quote:
Yes I could really hear how wide the instruments in the air are - not only where they are located. And also so detailed and yet pleasant sound . I could hear every mistake in my mix which I know about but cannot properly hear on the other speakers - and they - the mistakes- are only muddying mix. Amazing experince my Kh are sold and in January i'm looking forward a lot !i expect new level in my mixies .
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
Please, keep us informed.
I will.
Old 5th December 2015
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds like an incredible concept, if it works.
+/-0.5db @ 20hz ~ 25kHz !!!
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
http://kiiaudio.com/phocadownload/AU...eb_english.pdf

if you look at the distortion figures, am I wrong to find the distortion bit high and that bleeds into the low mid?
You want to look at distortion from about 1khz to 10khz. My guess is that the ear would be most sensitive to it in that range. The graph shows two plots. The top plot is the db/frequency response. This tell you linearity on axis but more importantly it tells you the level at which distortion is measured. For most normal listeners, we listen at most in the 80-90db range. The bottom plot is a distortion plot. It tells you how low distortion is below the signal. Since microphones can only measure so much dynamic range, these measurements aren't perfect. But it appears that even at 100db, the Three measures below audible levels of distortion in most of that range I mentioned. I don't worry too much about very low frequency distortion. The distortion measurement takes all mechanical distortions into account including driver, crossover and cabinet.

If you looked at various distortion measurements from the NRC, you'd notice these are very good numbers.

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com | Loudspeakers

I don't think distortion measurements are THE most important measurement though. It's only part of the picture.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

How much do these go for?
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

10 000,- EU VAT Included it means 8k for me without VAT
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
10 000,- EU VAT Included it means 8k for me without VAT
When will you have them?
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
When will you have them?
January.I don't know exactly but January.
Old 6th December 2015
@carloff

out of interest...did you listen to genelec 8351a so far?
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
@carloff

out of interest...did you listen to genelec 8351a so far?
Yes I did, quite nice but nothing which would blow me away and make me to change my KH O300. Kii are different league- apparently.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
January.I don't know exactly but January.
Thanks. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes I did, quite nice but nothing which would blow me away and make me to change my KH O300. Kii are different league- apparently.
Did you really hear the 8351's calibrated with the GLM 2.0 kit? In your own room?
They are absolutely not in the same league as the KH 0300 according to my listening tests. Really no comparison in terms of 3D soundstage and full-range response. The Kii look interesting but lack the advanced 2nd generation GLM room correction software and the heritage of a company that is focused on making active studio monitors als mixing/mastering tools voor over 35 years.
Old 7th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
Did you really hear the 8351's calibrated with the GLM 2.0 kit? In your own room?
They are absolutely not in the same league as the KH 0300 according to my listening tests. Really no comparison in terms of 3D soundstage and full-range response. The Kii look interesting but lack the advanced 2nd generation GLM room correction software and the heritage of a company that is focused on making active studio monitors als mixing/mastering tools voor over 35 years.
i was wondering as well....for me the o300d always sounded too boring and lacked low end power....for electronic music the limiter always kicked in too early (without a subwoofer)...i switched to trident hg3 and never looked back.

the only bummer about the kii three for me is that with so much potential under the hood it is kinda sad that they don't offer something like glm for the educated user where the loudspeaker itself adapts to the room after measurements...i would prefer this over using my trinnov for that task
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You want to look at distortion from about 1khz to 10khz. My guess is that the ear would be most sensitive to it in that range.
Doesn't work that way. Keyword: Intermodulation.

Quote:
The graph shows two plots. The top plot is the db/frequency response. This tell you linearity on axis but more importantly it tells you the level at which distortion is measured. For most normal listeners, we listen at most in the 80-90db range. The bottom plot is a distortion plot. It tells you how low distortion is below the signal. Since microphones can only measure so much dynamic range, these measurements aren't perfect. But it appears that even at 100db, the Three measures below audible levels of distortion in most of that range I mentioned. I don't worry too much about very low frequency distortion.
A microphone (properly designed and implemented in the test) does not have any such problems. Also, low frequency distortion is something you definetely should pay attention to as it is dominating any reasonably designed speaker.

Quote:
The distortion measurement takes all mechanical distortions into account including driver, crossover and cabinet.
Possibly even AD - DA, micpre, power amp etc. however nonlinearities from such links and also crossover + box as such is basically out of the equation.
Ferro cored inductors and electrolytics may have "significant" distortion in some cases but I don't think you find any of those in this design.

Quote:
If you looked at various distortion measurements from the NRC, you'd notice these are very good numbers.
A good resource.

Quote:
I don't think distortion measurements are THE most important measurement though. It's only part of the picture.
Yes, lots of things that can go wrong and the chain is not stronger than its weakest link. Since these "things" can be said to live in different domains it's not possible to compare them and say this one is more important than that.
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

WOW!! I don't think there is a speaker this small that is flat down to 20Hz, with near perfect time alignment, and with tolerance for wall placement. These seem like THE perfect speaker. I have to try them.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search