The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kii Three-Have you heard them?
Old 18th November 2020
Can anyone you used the Kii Three and then upgraded to BXT elaborate on the difference in sound?
I heard adding the BXT is much more than just adding subs to a system
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The character of the sound doesn’t change, distortion drops hugely, so if you have a large room or are playing loudly this will be an advantage, floor bounce/cancellation is dismissed, their cardioid response is extended down in frequency.
Kii/BXT are the best speakers I have heard for every possible situation.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Yeah... but he once was no longer a dealer for Kii for selling both Three and 8c AFAIK, yet he still was telling everybody that the Threes are amazing. So I don’t think he is lying TBH
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkray707 View Post
Yeah... but he once was no longer a dealer for Kii for selling both Three and 8c AFAIK, yet he still was telling everybody that the Threes are amazing. So I don’t think he is lying TBH
This part of the forum is full of amazing speakers.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kii did ‘kick us off’ when we started to also represent Dutch&Dutch , fortunately the then new U.K. distributor appointed us again as a kii retailer, both are really excellent loudspeakers as are the new Gegantakt M1’s.
There are many excellent speakers kicking around but the SBIR ‘types’ have an advantage in partially treated rooms.
Comparing in your own space is preferable.
Keith
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I've said here before, Keith travelled to my house twice—first with Kii's and the second with D&D 8c—so I could demo them at my place. He's a very nice guy and didn't try and sell to me at all, and just wanted to chat about audio/music and hear my opinions on the Kii's / 8cs. He put no words in my mouth, didn't tell me to listen to anything particular or hype any aspects - just waited for me to hear things myself and listened to my comments.

He wouldn't accept any money for travel/time, no matter how many times I offered. When I bought the Kii's he told me that the 8c would be out in a couple of months and I could swap them over if I wanted. It ended up taking well over a year for the 8c to be released and he still honoured that offer and brought them over for testing. I preferred the Kii's and kept them, and again, he wouldn't accept any money for the travel or his time.

Some people give him some grief here, but he's a genuine guy you'd all get along with in person. As far as I can tell, the Kii/BXT combo is his favourite, so he recommends it. Seller or not, what's wrong with that? We all have favourites!
Lives for gear

just to add, the Kiis are excellent on their own, I would only recommend the BX`t modules if you intend to play extremely loudly in a very large room, they don’t extend the bass but obviously distortion is reduced.
There are other advantages, extending the cardioid response, removing floor cancellation but they aren’t cheap and would need to be compared in your space.
The kii system is the most ‘complete’, in terms of placement, versatility and useability.
And more to come...
Keith
Old 3rd December 2020
I recently got to demo them in my room.
I am using ATC SCM 25 + a pair of JL Audio Subs
I did not bond with the Kii
I can't put the finger on what prevented me of liking them
A simplistic way to put it they sounded digital
impressive but no emotional bond ...
Old 3rd December 2020
Lives for gear

A few domestic listeners have preferred the colouration of their traditional loudspeakers , I have found the majority of engineers prefer transparency.
Keith
Old 4th December 2020
Gear Addict

I wanted to add my voice of approval regarding Keith's opinion here.

He's been a valuable source of reliable information for the duration of this thread and all the other threads on Kii speakers. His comments have been appropriate and guided by actual experience.

His being a dealer for Kii (and other high end audio equipment) does not negate the validity of his comments. For example, in all the ATC speaker threads, Brad of Transaudio Group, the American distributor for ATC, plays a big part in the discussions. Brad's experience is great with ATC and his opinion is well respected. Likewise, we should value Keith's commentary.

Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
All speakers are colored. The perfect loudspeaker doesn't exist.
Lives for gear

Quote:
A loudspeakers measurements tell you everything, or at least give you a very good idea, to paraphrase Morrisey some speakers are more coloured than others.
Keith
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
A loudspeakers measurements tell you everything, or at least give you a very good idea, to paraphrase Morrisey some speakers are more coloured than others.
Keith
Everything no, a good idea yes.
The Klippel measurements is the exemple showing more things and an another day another brand will come with more.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
As I've said here before, Keith travelled to my house twice—first with Kii's and the second with D&D 8c—so I could demo them at my place. He's a very nice guy and didn't try and sell to me at all, and just wanted to chat about audio/music and hear my opinions on the Kii's / 8cs. He put no words in my mouth, didn't tell me to listen to anything particular or hype any aspects - just waited for me to hear things myself and listened to my comments.

He wouldn't accept any money for travel/time, no matter how many times I offered. When I bought the Kii's he told me that the 8c would be out in a couple of months and I could swap them over if I wanted. It ended up taking well over a year for the 8c to be released and he still honoured that offer and brought them over for testing. I preferred the Kii's and kept them, and again, he wouldn't accept any money for the travel or his time.

Some people give him some grief here, but he's a genuine guy you'd all get along with in person. As far as I can tell, the Kii/BXT combo is his favourite, so he recommends it. Seller or not, what's wrong with that? We all have favourites!
Can you write a comparison of Kii Three and why did you prefer the Kii Three at the end.
Thanks
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly, all speakers present the programme material with physical moving parts
housed in physical cabinets controlled or not controlled by DSP.

Guess what, they don't all sound the same!

There's as many options as there are monitor brands.

For me personally, I've yet to find a better tracking/mixing tool than the ATC SCM 25's - that mid-driver is like X-Ray vision into the music. ATC's professional range is so brutally honest and revealing, your mix is either utterly perfect or you fail to pass the ATC test - there are some well known records that fail the ATC test!

My mum in her front room would definitely prefer something "nicer" and more forgiving to listen to.

Preferences, we all have them.
Gear Nut

Quote:
True. But some speakers are less coloured than others.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholl View Post
True. But some speakers are less coloured than others.
Yes and What is magical is that what is colorful for one is not for another. We are not Robots.
The market is full of great speakers.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes and What is magical is that what is colorful for one is not for another. We are not Robots.
The market is full of great speakers.
Colour is disrortion, distortion is anything added ( or subtracted) from the input, no one wants distortion.
Keith
Lives for gear
Quote:
Colour is disrortion, distortion is anything added ( or subtracted) from the input, no one wants distortion.
Keith
The vacuum addict love the distortion.
All speakers have distortion and it's easy to measure.
The room is great source of distortion.
And fortunately, the human has a great tolerance in the bass frequencies distortion.
Compared to a meyer sound acheon or a genelec 1234, the monitor have compressed sound.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few domestic listeners have preferred the colouration of their traditional loudspeakers , I have found the majority of engineers prefer transparency.
Keith
+1

All the professional engineers I know and studios I visit use ATC monitors.

It’s the industry standard in my part of the world.

Perhaps the Hi Fi/ audiophile world is different.

I guess settling back into your sofa with a hot drink to listen to Holst is not a moment for the forensic examination of the mix

Last edited by thehightenor; 6th December 2020 at 12:40 PM..
Lives for gear

Really, all the engineers and all the studios you visit use ATC, I presume you don’t visit that many studios or know that many engineers.
Audiophile world weir, many aren’t that technically knowledgeable and simply believe the marketing BS, a few have a technical background or have learnt what the measurements mean and purchase accordingly.
Keith
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, all the engineers and all the studios you visit use ATC, I presume you don’t visit that many studios or know that many engineers.
Keith
There’s absolutely no need to be rude.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
+1

All the professional engineers I know and studios I visit use ATC monitors.

It’s the industry standard in my part of the world.

Perhaps the Hi Fi/ audiophile world is different.

I guess settling back into your sofa with a hot drink to listen to Holst is not a moment for the forensic examination of the mix
According to ASR and measurements ATC are far from accurate (Genelec are flatter and more accurate)
So maybe the pros you know like ATC sound
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor noob View Post
So maybe the pros you know like ATC sound
I've never found a better tool for revealing errors in a mix, so I think it's explains the popularity I've experienced over the last 35+ years working in the industry.

I don't doubt these things vary country to country though.

I'm definitely not knocking any other brand, I know @ b0se uses Ki 3's and he has very high standards in audio.
Jacob Collier uses Ki 3's and he has amazing ears - we can all agree on that!

Last edited by thehightenor; 6th December 2020 at 03:36 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor noob View Post
Can you write a comparison of Kii Three and why did you prefer the Kii Three at the end.
Thanks
Personal opinion: Kii's have more resolving power and sound more neutral. I hasten to use the word analytical as that can imply 'not musical'. The Kii's will sound musical if the source is musical, and they'll sound analytical if the source lacks warmth and coherence.

It seems that some on this board speak about Kii vs 8c going only via specs, having not heard either, and certainly not having had both in their own rooms. It may even be only myself and Bob Macc (pro mastering engineer, loved both but also kept the Kii's) who have.

There's no 'better' of course, it depends on your own tastes.

BTW since Kii added the internal EQ/filters, I was able to sell my Trinnov ST2. Internal EQ plus a touch of MathAudio Room EQ yields this:

The worst section, 200-400, is still only +/- 1.5dB, the rest is pretty much 0.5dB or less, i.e. deliciously flat :¬)
Lives for gear
Is measured at the listening position?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is measured at the listening position?
Yes
Lives for gear
The two speakers in function?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Did you use REW to get the measurements needed for the internal filters? Also what do you recommend for the EQ adjustments, Proportional or Constant Q?
📝 Reply