The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kii Three-Have you heard them?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiotone View Post
I'm very curious, i never heard the 45's (only heard ATC a couple of times), what would you say its the main differences between them? I mean, weak/strong points against each other?
I think I've said it earlier in this thread but basically the analogue vs digital thing runs right though it.

What I mean is the Kii's excel at anything with loads of bass and sparkly top end. Jamiroquai's Hot Property never sounded so good.
Also anything glitchy electronica or drum n bass- they are tremendous.
Yes, they don't have the headroom of some Barefoots- I don't mind that- they go louder than I need them to.

The ATC's have that midrange you just want to wrap around you like a blanket.
Anything that is strings or vocal focussed is just gorgeous.
I can fix mid range problems much easier.
Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits- anything with edge and character are just amazing through them.
I've got the best guitar sounds with them.
Yes, they don't go as low as the Kii's.
I just don't care.
They are balanced and soulful- I love them.
If they were my only monitors then I'd maybe have a sub but I have the Kii's to check the lows.
They don't lack bottom end, it is that the bottom end is higher up in the bass register than some other options.

I know I could have bought a pair of ATC150's for the money I spent on the Kii's and the SCM45A's.
There are a few reasons why I didn't- firstly, I currently live in two countries and the plan is to *at some stage* split up the gear and run two studios, the current one in the UK and the other one in Switzerland where I spend about 40% of my time.
I'm slowly moving gear over as I do trips there- it will take time to work out what needs to go where.
I wanted to have two high end sets of monitors, rather than one ultra-mega set of monitors.

Also, I spent last years working in Singapore where I had compromised room acoustics (basically a bedroom). I bought the Kii's for that period of time, also I wanted to try the digital monitor thing.

Also, my current mix room probably isn't big enough for 100's/150's etc.

Also, I find things in my mixes wrong on the Kii's that I don't find with the ATC's, and vice versa.

It is nice to have two very different sets of monitors, but honestly I could work on either of them and be happy- we are into the minutiae of nit-pickery here.

I guess my point is that people are getting *very angry* indeed about something that just doesn't matter.

If you want something with loads of bass extension, sparkly top end, digital IO, DSP get the Kii's but you live with the slight lack of detail in the mids and the lack of headroom.

If you want lovely, lovely midrange, get the ATC's and live with the fact that it doesn't go as low for their size.

Want all of this with no compromises then either buy both or buy something else.

Want everything possible in one speaker... beats me, I've never found anything perfect. If you figure it out then let me know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I think I've said it earlier in this thread but basically the analogue vs digital thing runs right though it.

What I mean is the Kii's excel at anything with loads of bass and sparkly top end. Jamiroquai's Hot Property never sounded so good.
Also anything glitchy electronica or drum n bass- they are tremendous.
Yes, they don't have the headroom of some Barefoots- I don't mind that- they go louder than I need them to.

The ATC's have that midrange you just want to wrap around you like a blanket.
Anything that is strings or vocal focussed is just gorgeous.
I can fix mid range problems much easier.
Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits- anything with edge and character are just amazing through them.
I've got the best guitar sounds with them.
Yes, they don't go as low as the Kii's.
I just don't care.
They are balanced and soulful- I love them.
If they were my only monitors then I'd maybe have a sub but I have the Kii's to check the lows.
They don't lack bottom end, it is that the bottom end is higher up in the bass register than some other options.

I know I could have bought a pair of ATC150's for the money I spent on the Kii's and the SCM45A's.
There are a few reasons why I didn't- firstly, I currently live in two countries and the plan is to *at some stage* split up the gear and run two studios, the current one in the UK and the other one in Switzerland where I spend about 40% of my time.
I'm slowly moving gear over as I do trips there- it will take time to work out what needs to go where.
I wanted to have two high end sets of monitors, rather than one ultra-mega set of monitors.

Also, I spent last years working in Singapore where I had compromised room acoustics (basically a bedroom). I bought the Kii's for that period of time, also I wanted to try the digital monitor thing.

Also, my current mix room probably isn't big enough for 100's/150's etc.

Also, I find things in my mixes wrong on the Kii's that I don't find with the ATC's, and vice versa.

It is nice to have two very different sets of monitors, but honestly I could work on either of them and be happy- we are into the minutiae of nit-pickery here.

I guess my point is that people are getting *very angry* indeed about something that just doesn't matter.

If you want something with loads of bass extension, sparkly top end, digital IO, DSP get the Kii's but you live with the slight lack of detail in the mids and the lack of headroom.

If you want lovely, lovely midrange, get the ATC's and live with the fact that it doesn't go as low for their size.

Want all of this with no compromises then either buy both or buy something else.

Want everything possible in one speaker... beats me, I've never found anything perfect. If you figure it out then let me know.
Thanks man, that was actually extremely useful. Some people mention the differences but no one was so detailed about it.
I have the Kii's for about 2 years and i really love them for all the things you mentioned, (my room is not very good and i can't work very loud) BUT when im mixing without a reference i always tend to exaggerate the middle range for some reason and end up checking the mix with ****ty little speakers and cheap headphones to figure that out, but it's a bit annoying.
I've been thinking about a pair of ATC25A to go with them when budget allow.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Anything new for Kii ?

I’m wondering if anyone here has heard if there will be anything new from Kii in the future. Maybe a Kii four? Mini BXT? No future plans yet? Just interested to know. Thx.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff19 View Post
I’m wondering if anyone here has heard if there will be anything new from Kii in the future. Maybe a Kii four? Mini BXT? No future plans yet? Just interested to know. Thx.
Anyone who knows cannot say.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
wish they make the MK II with bigger woofer like 7inch or even 8inch. Or, I hope they make it with the Purifi woofers.
But, since they already made BXT, I don't think they will make a new one.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I suspect that a streamer/Contol combination box is on the horizon.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
What's the ultimate consensus re: Kii's with Trinnov then.

Does one make the other unnecessary or do they cumulatively make a turbo monitoring rig?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
What's the ultimate consensus re: Kii's with Trinnov then.

Does one make the other unnecessary or do they cumulatively make a turbo monitoring rig?
The latter. Damn amazing combo.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I was worried you might say that
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
I was worried you might say that
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search