The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kii Three-Have you heard them?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Ok thanks! Bit worried about what you say about heavy subs and 85db. But what do you think is the strong sides of each speaker, since you have both. For me it's between psi kii and atc for my next monitors, so just keen on getting actual customer feedback. Thanks!
Kii is just amazing at a normal production / mixing volume. If you want to feel physic sub with high volume, for sure, you will get problem with the limiter. The speaker is capable to reach 30 hz and less, and it's really astonished when you try it. Maybe it's a great thing for our ears !
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS_Studio View Post
Kii is just amazing at a normal production / mixing volume. If you want to feel physic sub with high volume, for sure, you will get problem with the limiter. The speaker is capable to reach 30 hz and less, and it's really astonished when you try it. Maybe it's a great thing for our ears !
Ok great thanks! Any reason u needed the PSI then? Or was it just a demo
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS_Studio View Post
I suppose it's room related, but considering these are near/mid field monitors, how the hell can anyone listen to these so loud the limiter hits? I don't get it, sitting 6" (edit: feet ) away, they go louder than I'd ever need/use.

Last edited by b0se; 3 days ago at 10:12 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I don't get it, sitting 6" away, they go louder than I'd ever need/use.
Did you actually mean 6 inches?
Your ears are 6 inches away from two speakers?

I think I know what you should seek out as your next "speakers":
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Did you actually mean 6 inches?
Your ears are 6 inches away from two speakers?

I think I know what you should seek out as your next "speakers":
Whoops, haha!

The Kii's do get heavy on my neck at times, thinking about creating some kind of ceiling mount for them :D
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Back to your 6 feet..
Dynamic range of Dolby standard is 105 dBC/speaker RMS (not peak). Even though most likely the volume (cu ft) of the room is small if the monitoring is 6 ft away, you'd still need 95 dBC/speaker RMS (and peak will be higher.) And that is supposed to be a clean level -- so you need additional headroom to avoid driver compression/distortion rising or soft clipping from a limiter. You don't want to be at the edge of the capability of a speaker.

So if you work on uncompressed material, you can use a lot more dynamic range and therefore need more level handling ability out of a speaker (and you won't go deaf.) If you are working on rock/pop songs, these levels would be extreme if subjected to them continuously. But that isn't the case scenario.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Back to your 6 feet..
Dynamic range of Dolby standard is 105 dBC/speaker RMS (not peak). Even though most likely the volume (cu ft) of the room is small if the monitoring is 6 ft away, you'd still need 95 dBC/speaker RMS (and peak will be higher.) And that is supposed to be a clean level -- so you need additional headroom to avoid driver compression/distortion rising or soft clipping from a limiter. You don't want to be at the edge of the capability of a speaker.

So if you work on uncompressed material, you can use a lot more dynamic range and therefore need more level handling ability out of a speaker (and you won't go deaf.) If you are working on rock/pop songs, these levels would be extreme if subjected to them continuously. But that isn't the case scenario.
That makes sense, thanks.

I don't enjoy anything over 83-84dB so plenty of headroom :¬)

You're an ATC guy if I recall correctly?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Ok great thanks! Any reason u needed the PSI then? Or was it just a demo
Just an opportunity to try and it was nice to compare !
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I suppose it's room related, but considering these are near/mid field monitors, how the hell can anyone listen to these so loud the limiter hits? I don't get it, sitting 6" (edit: feet ) away, they go louder than I'd ever need/use.
My Room is about 20m2 and for some productions with important bass vibes, it's a problem... Moreover when clients come to hear from the sofa position. They don't care about the mixing ideal volume.

Anyway, Kii is AMAZING. Pure speaker for mixing for sure.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're an ATC guy if I recall correctly?
Yes (50ASL and up; not all). And PMC (IB2A and up). Still looking for the sub 100 lbs/speaker do-it-all.
Maybe a future Kii Four or Kii Three mk2
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah you'd think you could assign specific volumes to them. Might it be worth us contacting them to request it, just to make sure?

I've always wanted a a couple of reference volume buttons.
Good news!

I contacted Trinnov and they replied that La Remote will have advanced parameters which will allow us to set up multiple reference volume levels.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAZERS View Post
Good news!

I contacted Trinnov and they replied that La Remote will have advanced parameters which will allow us to set up multiple reference volume levels.
Fantastic! Good news indeed
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search