The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kii Three-Have you heard them?
Old 19th May 2019
  #1981
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
I believe it is just raw material costs, control 5%, Kii 8% and BXT 13%, whether or how much of the increase is passed on to the customer will depend upon the local distributor.
Keith
Thanks for the information!
Old 22nd May 2019
  #1982
Gear Maniac
 

A few weeks ago I received my pair of Kii Three's. Good sound reproduction. Very convincing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1983
Here for the gear
 

Hi there,

I purchased a pair of these in September last year and they have been fine untill last night, when all of a sudden one of the kii's started making a clicking noise constantly, the same noise it makes when you power them up. There's no sound at all coming from it apart from the clicking. My question to you guys is how reliable are these in general? I'm going to have to mess about sending these back for repair and I'm quite disappointed to have spent a small fortune on these for them to become faulty after a few short months. My fear is getting them repaired and something going wrong again. Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1984
Gear Nut
 

Have had zero issues with mine, and found the team very responsive.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1985
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl3r View Post
Hi there,

I purchased a pair of these in September last year and they have been fine untill last night, when all of a sudden one of the kii's started making a clicking noise constantly, the same noise it makes when you power them up. There's no sound at all coming from it apart from the clicking. My question to you guys is how reliable are these in general? I'm going to have to mess about sending these back for repair and I'm quite disappointed to have spent a small fortune on these for them to become faulty after a few short months. My fear is getting them repaired and something going wrong again. Cheers
I had the same issue a while back (it's a broken relay). Kii support were excellent and sent over a replacement set while mine were fixed. Been fine ever since.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1986
Here for the gear
 

Thanks guys, that's reassuring to know.

Hopefully I wont get any more problems when they return.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1987
Gear Head
 

I had a similar issue. Kii were great about it and replaced the speakers with a pair they were using for testing that were newer than mine. I thought that was a great idea, as I knew I was getting a good pair. As long as it doesn't happen again I'm fine with it.
I don't think there is any particular problem with the speakers, but this is one of the risks of an "all in one" setup.
Probably one of the reasons non professionals are wary of this type of speaker.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1988
Lives for gear
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
I have a question: if I put my ears right up to the tweeters, even if they’re muted from the controller, they make this really low static noise, not just hiss, both speakers. It doesn’t get louder if I crank the volume either so it’s a fixed static sound, but sounds a little digitally chopped up. The mid drivers don’t have any of this noise, only pure white noise or whatever. I tried to disconnect the USB and AES but it didn’t go away. I don’t notice it from the listening position. I just want to see with other owners if this is normal or if I should check other possible polluting sources nearby.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1989
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I have a question: if I put my ears right up to the tweeters, even if they’re muted from the controller, they make this really low static noise, not just hiss, both speakers. It doesn’t get louder if I crank the volume either so it’s a fixed static sound, but sounds a little digitally chopped up. The mid drivers don’t have any of this noise, only pure white noise or whatever. I tried to disconnect the USB and AES but it didn’t go away. I don’t notice it from the listening position. I just want to see with other owners if this is normal or if I should check other possible polluting sources nearby.
Mine make a similar noise if my ear is literally right next to them. Can't hear from a 1/2 foot away (and I sit six feet away).

I'll be testing some power conditioners at some point (not for this as it's a non issue), I'll see if it makes a difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1990
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Mine make a similar noise if my ear is literally right next to them. Can't hear from a 1/2 foot away (and I sit six feet away).

I'll be testing some power conditioners at some point (not for this as it's a non issue), I'll see if it makes a difference.
This is self-generated noise, inherent in all audio chains. You could design your way out of it with an extremely costly (and bigger?) amplifier technology or lower the sensitivity of the speaker.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1991
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
This is self-generated noise, inherent in all audio chains. You could design your way out of it with an extremely costly (and bigger?) amplifier technology or lower the sensitivity of the speaker.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1992
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I have a question: if I put my ears right up to the tweeters, even if they’re muted from the controller, they make this really low static noise, not just hiss, both speakers. It doesn’t get louder if I crank the volume either so it’s a fixed static sound, but sounds a little digitally chopped up. The mid drivers don’t have any of this noise, only pure white noise or whatever. I tried to disconnect the USB and AES but it didn’t go away. I don’t notice it from the listening position. I just want to see with other owners if this is normal or if I should check other possible polluting sources nearby.
Mine are totally quiet, even with the volume up. Have you emailed Kii and asked them?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1993
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Mine are totally quiet, even with the volume up. Have you emailed Kii and asked them?
With your ear millimeters from the tweeter?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1994
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
With your ear millimeters from the tweeter?
Yes
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1995
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Yes
(At least) two explanations of your not hearing any selg-generated sound:

(1) Random variations in Kii Three speakers
(2) Your hearing doesn’t pick up the (high-frequency) sound
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1996
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
(At least) two explanations of your not hearing any selg-generated sound:

(1) Random variations in Kii Three speakers
(2) Your hearing doesn’t pick up the (high-frequency) sound
I guess both are possible. I'd like someone who's hearing the high frequency sound to measure it and tell us how "high" it is. Then we'd have a better idea if #2 is really in play.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1997
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I guess both are possible. I'd like someone who's hearing the high frequency sound to measure it and tell us how "high" it is. Then we'd have a better idea if #2 is really in play.
I guess you’d need an anechoic room and a high quality microphone to measure.

Many people have claimed to hear hiss, so the question is if it’s all in their heads...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1998
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
I have no hiss in my Kii Three's.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1999
Lives for gear
I believe we here have the special situation in audio where people don’t hear what can be measured, while the usual situation in audio is to «hear» what cannot be measured
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2000
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
I guess you’d need an anechoic room and a high quality microphone to measure.

Many people have claimed to hear hiss, so the question is if it’s all in their heads...
And many have claimed to hear none....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2001
Lives for gear
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
It’s loud enough that my iPhone picks it up if I put it right up to the tweeter and record.

I disconnected all cables except the power chord which is connected straight to the wall outlet. I tried turning off the Mac and nearby wall warts with transformers. I’ve turned off the lights in the room and it’s still there.

Again, I really can’t hear it unless I’m that close to them, so it doesn’t bother me in use, I’m just wondering if there could be some pollution in my setup or if they’re like this by design. My studio equipment is on it’s own circuit/cabling seperate from the lights in the room or any other stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2002
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I have a question: if I put my ears right up to the tweeters, even if they’re muted from the controller, they make this really low static noise, not just hiss, both speakers. It doesn’t get louder if I crank the volume either so it’s a fixed static sound, but sounds a little digitally chopped up. The mid drivers don’t have any of this noise, only pure white noise or whatever. I tried to disconnect the USB and AES but it didn’t go away. I don’t notice it from the listening position. I just want to see with other owners if this is normal or if I should check other possible polluting sources nearby.
I'm not getting any sound from the Kiis without signal either.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2003
Gear Head
 

I have an idea about that observation
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...comment=890365
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2004
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernstein View Post
I have an idea about that observation
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...comment=890365
My original pair had the lower gain and the replacement pair has the increased gain. I hear no difference in self noise-both are totally quiet, even at high volume.
Old 3 days ago
  #2005
Gear Maniac
 

I just tried (with my ear against the tweeter protection grill) and I also hear no hiss.
Old 1 day ago
  #2006
Gear Maniac
 
Kaneepa's Avatar
 

Is your wifi router close to the speakers ? I had the same exact problem and solved it just by moving the router's antennas!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump