The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kii Three-Have you heard them? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah - people shouldn't call other people liars w/o evidence.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Well - you certainly made it obvious that you own them!
Nice colour too - mine are in white, is the grey a bit more hardwearing?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'd rather have the white, but they cost a thousand more so I just opt for the plain pro color instead.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloakn View Post
What you have to say now? Who's the liar now.

How about you stop coming after me(genuinely angry customer) and go after the company that lied in front of everyone.

Enough said.
I notice these blinds hanging over your window. Realizing the Kii has a bass speaker at the side, my first impression would be: not the best position. These blinds WILL vibrate. I only hope that's not what you are hearing :-)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o View Post
I notice these blinds hanging over your window. Realizing the Kii has a bass speaker at the side, my first impression would be: not the best position. These blinds WILL vibrate. I only hope that's not what you are hearing :-)
It takes 20hz to vibrate those blinds.. but too bad the k3 doesn't go that low anymore. Oh where did the 10hz go..?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscbw View Post
It takes 20hz to vibrate those blinds.. but too bad the k3 doesn't go that low anymore. Oh where did the 10hz go..?
As unfortunate as this is. You are right.

Very disappointing to say the least. Not sure if Kii will release a firmware that will correct this or this is how it will be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey Cloakn

Just thought i would chime in here for a second.. I'm not sure what country you are in and what the trading laws are but here in Australia if something is told to you about a product thats not true and could of changed your choice to buy you can get a full refund no questions asked.. you could always give that a try

cheers

Quote:

Very disappointing to say the least. Not sure if Kii will release a firmware that will correct this or this is how it will be.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi,
Have you taken any measurement in your room to see what the actual response is on your listening position?
It’s not that 20hz isn’t there, it’s just specified at -6dB, and that will depend on placement and room interaction.

Just to be clear: i’ve had kii’s on demo here and i’m still undecided.
I’ve calibrated them with my trinnov and had a response down to 20hz without problems.

Quote:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you are so unhappy with your purchase, perhaps you will want to sell them?
I will not argue about whether or not they get to 20Hz - I found them to go deep enough. Having said that, I kinda 12db LoCut anything below 30 anyway
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppi007 View Post
Hi,
Have you taken any measurement in your room to see what the actual response is on your listening position?
It’s not that 20hz isn’t there, it’s just specified at -6dB, and that will depend on placement and room interaction.

Just to be clear: i’ve had kii’s on demo here and i’m still undecided.
I’ve calibrated them with my trinnov and had a response down to 20hz without problems.
Hi,

I've been seeing that Trinnov term lot lately. What is it exactly and does it provide a big improvement?

Thanks man.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Trinnov amplitude chart of Kii Threes in my temporary mix room. Hopefully this answers these questions:

1. What is a Trinnov?
2. Does the Kii Three go down to 2o Hz?
Attached Thumbnails
Kii Three-Have you heard them?-kii-3_trinnov_amplitude.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Jack.

fwiw - I beyond love my Kii's.
Been on tour for the last 7 months and they are the thing I miss most about my studio.
Seriously. Trying to figure out if I should get a flight case built for them to bring them along out here on the road. That's how much I miss em.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Weaver View Post
Trinnov amplitude chart of Kii Threes in my temporary mix room. Hopefully this answers these questions:

1. What is a Trinnov?
2. Does the Kii Three go down to 2o Hz?
Sure they go down to 20hz, but not +/- 0.5db as advertised.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

IMHO
It’s quite simple really.
If you think you are misleaded, take them back to the shop and ask your money back.

If not, just enjoy them and stop thinking about it.

Advertised specs are just a guideline imho. Real-world performance depends on a lot of factors...

Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I did not buy them for any other reason than they both work good for my purposes and sound magnificent.

Stats made no difference to my opinion of them.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Attached is the frequency response of the Dutch & Dutch 8C. Neither can they perform +/- 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20kHz. I don't think any monitor in the world can, even with a Trinnov correction applied (except maybe in an anechoic chamber).

That has not prevented anyone from delivering superb mixes so far, but this doesn't seem to be the issue here.
Attached Thumbnails
Kii Three-Have you heard them?-dutch_8c_fr.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso View Post
Attached is the frequency response of the Dutch & Dutch 8C. Neither can they perform +/- 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20kHz. I don't think any monitor in the world can, even with a Trinnov correction applied (except maybe in an anechoic chamber).

That has not prevented anyone from delivering superb mixes so far, but this doesn't seem to be the issue here.
You'll also need a very well treated room to get a reliable result that low.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
About resonating....

I sent a message to Kii and got a reply from them

It sounds very hopeful.

"Each speaker is sine-swept thoroughly in production to check for rattles or resonances (and again when being packed).

There is no serial problem of cabinet resonances and we also had zero complaints during demos or reviews anywhere.

If this would occur with a customer´s set it´s a service issue and can be solved by us."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tpqls View Post
we also had zero complaints during demos or reviews anywhere
Well this is what is called a bald-faced lie. (Or traditional PR/marketing depending on how you view things.) It’s published in The Absolute Sound review. And, quite frankly, there aren’t that many reviews of the speaker and they know of the TAS review. Claiming something like this raises more concerns about the company than the original issue.

Sorry (memory was wrong), Stereophile not TAS

Last edited by pentagon; 1 week ago at 07:12 PM.. Reason: update on publication
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Kii Three-Have you heard them?-b6e71b97-52ae-4563-9ed9-2edf485340f5.jpg
Got mine in today! Very first impression in my room is great, they sound just like I hoped for: super tight bass, very clear, great soundstage and so natural and effortless presentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Kii Three-Have you heard them?-b6e71b97-52ae-4563-9ed9-2edf485340f5.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Well this is what is called a bald-faced lie. (Or traditional PR/marketing depending on how you view things.) It’s published in The Absolute Sound review. And, quite frankly, there aren’t that many reviews of the speaker and they know of the TAS review. Claiming something like this raises more concerns about the company than the original issue.
I wasn't aware that The Absolute Sound had reviewed these, and can't find it in their list of reviews. Could you provide a link, please?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I wasn't aware that The Absolute Sound had reviewed these, and can't find it in their list of reviews. Could you provide a link, please?
Sorry Stereophile. I'll make a note above.

Kii Audio Three loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Quote:
Finally, I examined the vibrational behavior of the Kii Three's enclosure. I couldn't get my plastic-tape accelerometer to stick to the textured inset sections of the top and side panels, so I'm unable to show my usual cumulative spectral-decay plots calculated from the accelerometer's output. However, listening to the panels with a stethoscope as I swept a sinewave up and down in frequency revealed very strong resonant modes at 150 and 225Hz on all surfaces, and that the enclosure was generally lively between 280 and 400Hz. The metal panel that surrounds the two woofers on the speaker's rear also vibrated very strongly. I was alarmed by this behavior, but note that KR didn't remark on any coloration in this region, so I assume that the affected areas are too small to couple efficiently to the air.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Not sure i'm following the issue here - the reviewer notes that 'KR didn't remark on any coloration in this region, so I assume that the affected areas are too small to couple efficiently to the air.'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosculpture12 View Post
Not sure i'm following the issue here - the reviewer notes that 'KR didn't remark on any coloration in this region, so I assume that the affected areas are too small to couple efficiently to the air.'
The issue is a company claiming
Quote:
zero complaints during demos or reviews anywhere
They quite clearly know of this review and know there is a complaint within it. Pretending it doesn't exist is silly and stupid for a company. Whether or not it affected the overall performance of the speaker is a different concern.

It's like another company I know of that claims they don't have a problem with their tweeters/speaker design and says no one complains about it but I've been to the dealer and quite clearly saw a large quantity of speakers needing tweeter repairs.

The other hilarious bit of the response is this:

Quote:
If this would occur with a customer´s set it´s a service issue and can be solved by us.
It's trying to have it both ways: we have no issue but if there was an issue we can solve it. For a speaker cabinet. I hope you realize how silly that is in the context of manufacturing speakers. If you bought a car and the body rusted in 6 months and you contact the company and they go "it´s a service issue and can be solved by us" I would guarantee they've dealt with it before.

Amps, electronics, drivers -- all can have oddities and off-day/sub par parts fail for one reason or another. Things happen. The speaker cabinet being a service issue is a design flaw.

This isn't about the speaker but about how poor customer/potential-customer relations can be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
They don't put out enough sound at 2 meters away to do any standard Dolby film work (pre-dub stage.).
What alternatives do you recomend ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Oh right - i don’t interpret that as a complaint - particularly as Stereophile say they assume given their own testing, that it isn’t problematic in this instance.
But I can see how it can be looked at differently.

Quote:
The issue is a company claiming

They quite clearly know of this review and know there is a complaint within it. Pretending it doesn't exist is silly and stupid for a company. Whether or not it affected the overall performance of the speaker is a different concern.

It's like another company I know of that claims they don't have a problem with their tweeters/speaker design and says no one complains about it but I've been to the dealer and quite clearly saw a large quantity of speakers needing tweeter repairs.

The other hilarious bit of the response is this:

It's trying to have it both ways: we have no issue but if there was an issue we can solve it. For a speaker cabinet. I hope you realize how silly that is in the context of manufacturing speakers. If you bought a car and the body rusted in 6 months and you contact the company and they go "it´s a service issue and can be solved by us" I would guarantee they've dealt with it before.

Amps, electronics, drivers -- all can have oddities and off-day/sub par parts fail for one reason or another. Things happen. The speaker cabinet being a service issue is a design flaw.

This isn't about the speaker but about how poor customer/potential-customer relations can be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
What alternatives do you recomend ?
I'm still looking/waiting to find my solution. I can solve the issue with larger/heavier speakers but I'm still looking for the unicorn so testing everything I can.

I've also talked with one company to make a custom solution for my needs but not sure I'm ready to go that route. It would take one of those larger/heavier speakers and break it into a two-box solution per speaker that can be "re-integrated" on location (cabling/crossovers reattached).

The obvious current-day solution with something like the Kii3 is using subs since that is where it'll fail first when trying to live up to the needs of dynamic range. Makes it, in essence, a two-box solution but with less integration than my custom concept. But also much cheaper.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm still looking/waiting to find my solution. I can solve the issue with larger/heavier speakers but I'm still looking for the unicorn so testing everything I can.

I've also talked with one company to make a custom solution for my needs but not sure I'm ready to go that route. It would take one of those larger/heavier speakers and break it into a two-box solution per speaker that can be "re-integrated" on location (cabling/crossovers reattached).

The obvious current-day solution with something like the Kii3 is using subs since that is where it'll fail first when trying to live up to the needs of dynamic range. Makes it, in essence, a two-box solution but with less integration than my custom concept. But also much cheaper.
Did you try M2? Bigger but cheaper.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Dutch & Dutch provide these specs for the 8Cs: "MAX LINEAR SPL @ 1M: 106 DB CONTINUOUS FROM 35 HZ UPWARDS"

Difficult to know how much they will do at dynamic peaks, but I think it looks decent.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search