The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
T-funk ELA M 260 vs KM84
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
i own pair of:

"... - km84i: vintage euphonic imprint from that nickel capsule, in comparison to me the actual 184 has less "life" and sounds thinner, a bit "phasey" and cheaper..."
KM84's don't have nickel capsules.
KM54's and KM56's were the nickel capsule SDC's from Neumann.

KM54's do appear for sale from time to time fitted with non nickel KK84 capsules (same as the KM84 capsule) but this is likely due to the original nickel capsule being kaput and no longer available.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
i own pair of:

- dpa 4011: super (probably best available) precise accuracy, i use to refer to them as my "unmerciful ears", if your source has any weakness change these mics !
- schoeps cmc6 + mk4: still super accuracy but less "clinical" than dpa, with some natural pleasantly character.
- km84i: vintage euphonic imprint from that nickel capsule, in comparison to me the actual 184 has less "life" and sounds thinner, a bit "phasey" and cheaper.
- ela m 260: a real discovering, unique pleasant warm and full character i never heard from other similar mics, a bit like having the LDC weight alongside the SDC response, and having 3 capsules option it's always an intriguing temptation for mix & match different capsules in different miking techniques.

having to choose...
1 pair: schoeps
2 pairs: 4011 + km84
my personal favourite: ela m 260

one thing i learned with these guys: for sure the mic preamp has a truly critical role, for example a 4011 with any super clean preamp will probably end up to be too clinical and "cold", but would be jaw-dropping beautiful paired with a warm and creamy tube preamp.

my2cents

Thanks so much for a fantastic post. Any suggestions on ideal pre-amp pairings with the ELA M260s, Schoeps and KM84s please?

And on the ELA M260s especially, is a tube pre-amp like a LaChapell 983/583 a good match and/or would those mics sound better with a solid state pre pairing (clean/clinical or colored)? (If you are able to comment on steel-stringed acoustic guitar and piano sources in say folk to rock to R&B context -- non-classical acoustic instrument setting in other words -- would be awesome, if you wouldn't mind.) Thx so much!
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
Thanks so much for a fantastic post. Any suggestions on ideal pre-amp pairings with the ELA M260s, Schoeps and KM84s please?

And on the ELA M260s especially, is a tube pre-amp like a LaChapell 983/583 a good match and/or would those mics sound better with a solid state pre pairing (clean/clinical or colored)? (If you are able to comment on steel-stringed acoustic guitar and piano sources in say folk to rock to R&B context -- non-classical acoustic instrument setting in other words -- would be awesome, if you wouldn't mind.) Thx so much!
I'm getting great results with a Neve 5024. If I want some color, I can hit the Blue Silk button, otherwise it's a clean, natural sound.
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm still hoping that Neumann will reissue the KM84 like they did with the fet47.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
KM84's don't have nickel capsules.
KM54's and KM56's were the nickel capsule SDC's from Neumann.

KM54's do appear for sale from time to time fitted with non nickel KK84 capsules (same as the KM84 capsule) but this is likely due to the original nickel capsule being kaput and no longer available.

auch! rowmat, i remember that way... i updated my post

anyway hope the sense of my post is usefull
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

I have a pair of both the ELAM 260 and the M60 and the best acoustic guitar recording I've ever made so far was an M60 with the omni capsule 12" from the 14th fret of a nice Taylor. The level of realism and naturalness was astonishing.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post

never used a LaChapell 983/583, but as owner of tuby Early Bird 2.2 i can give you some points: the EB 2.2 has controls to drive the signal (from transparent to overdriven) and change the hi/low eq response, so i can tweak the sound when paired with ELA M 260 (that has bottom and character sound).
if you can't do anything but gain i would demo a LaChapell 983/583 before buy.

personally i really like a lot the elam 260 paired with my Forssell SMP-2A.
I't a clean and transparent jfet preamp with huge gain reserve and fantastic 3D image sound. Not clinic or cold at all, but very natural and it captures also the "air" around the source "letting you hear" the mic you're using.

off course for a big rock sound a Neve will be GREAT
at worse you will have to adjust somewhat that big bottom when tracking to avoid overwhelming your speakers but the vibe you get worth the risk! (i have a Heritage Audio neve-ish preamp and usually cut little bottom when recording to avoid possible troubles in mixing)

in fact only complain i have on the 260 is there aren't any HP or pad filters.
remember every "taste" is personal so best way is "try before buy"
hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
auch! rowmat, i remember that way... i updated my post

anyway hope the sense of my post is usefull
No problem.

I don't have any of the Telefunkens but do have three KM84's, a KM54 and a pair of KM184's.

The KM184's get the least amount of use and work best on things like nylon string guitars.

I'm not fond of them on bright sources as they can be somewhat hard sounding whereas the KM84's nearly always sound like the source.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search