The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leave Equipment On or Off?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

Leave Equipment On or Off?

Hey Gang.
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but I am referring to my “Hi End” gear.

A friend and I were talking about the heat the equipment gives of in the control room and he said he turns all his stuff of at night. I told him I leave everything on except for the tube gear. I can’t remember when or who, but years ago I was told it was better to leave it on. The power consumption was minimal and heating up and cooling down the unit’s was what wears them out. My buddy replied, "it’s probably the larger studios with bigger consoles who leave things on". I said ‘…take a look around. Except for the large console the same gear is sitting right here”

So, do you guy’s leave everything on or not.

Thanks in advance
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
I turn my TV on and off approximately 2-4 times a day. Its lasted me over ten years. And its a $150 TV.

I generally leave my gear on if I know I'm going to use it that day, or the next morning. Otherwise it goes off.

But hey, you could always ask a good tech how often he has to repair gear that is damaged from being turned on and off every day. My guess is "not too ****ing often".
Old 20th January 2007
I read somewhere on these pages that the second fastest way to kill an SSL is to switch it on and off regularly. heh
Since we don't use TVs, at least I don't, I suspect some of my eqs want to be on all the time. So I leave them on. Depends on the gear, IMO.

do a search, there is a thread with more ppl.s' opinions.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, it depends on the gear.

Tube stuff should be turned off when not in use and given a rest. Ditto most other outboard gear.

UREI limiters and many other vintage pieces need time to settle after being switched on, but they don't need to run 24/7.

Small consoles can be switched on and off without harm.

With large consoles, the power supplies go through hell at turn on. As for the modules it's hard to say, but heat probably damages them more than turn on surges. Still, I would leave a big board on all the time, try not to think about the electric bill, and ride a bicycle to the post office to make up for it.

Anything else that runs very hot should be given a rest if it's not going to be used for 12 hours or more. Heat is the enemy of power amps, older digital gear and certainly, electrolytic capacitors, surface mount capacitors. CRT's will last longer if switched off. Gear that's switched off can't be harmed by power surges or outages. Wasting energy to keep gear on 24/7 and then cool the air with HVAC is bad for mother earth.

To sum up, I would switch gear off that won't be used for 12 hours or more, with the exception of big consoles, some computers, and a few other items.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for Jesus

What about tape machines ? i leave my Studer 820 MCH on when i will be using it everyday for days or weeks at a time,

My console stays on 24-7

and my MC77, since the fuse toasted on power up.... now i just leave it on

Old 20th January 2007
I leave everything on except tube gear and TVs. Long weekends I might power off a few other electricity hogs.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
Our main desk uses over 1kW, everything combined in the machine room comes to 3kW. Much equipment today uses wallwarts (that easily overheat and catch fire). Only a fool would leave that lot on!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

how about a big digital desk (SSL Axiom+ = console surface, computer, router, 2 Rio's, 4 preamps, digital patch, remotes, clock, machine-ctrl, midi, ...)
it's in fact just a computer
and i allways leave my computers on,
you never know what to expect when powering on a computer.
but it does consume an awfull lot of power (even not used)
so if money was no object, i think i would leave it on
but it's just to expensive to keep it powered on 24/7

i wonder what SSL says about leaving it on/off

grtz,

wim
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

Since we're on the subject of power... is it a common practice to use the expensive balanced / conditioned power (Monster, Furman etc..)? or is this considered overkill?

Edit: ok nevermind, I did my homework. Equitech it is. What's another 2300.00 anyway!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
The only thing that really suffers from being turned on in the morning is the PSU. With ours, the rectifiers blow now and then, but they cost about £5 each. If I leave kit on, then I am shortening its life and - in the case of a desk - reducing the quality as time progresses. As it stays hot, the caps dry out and the semiconductors slowly deteriorate and become more noisy. At night, we turn everything off and I make sure it's all off, by flipping the circuit breakers.
Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
The only thing that really suffers from being turned on in the morning is the PSU. With ours, the rectifiers blow now and then, but they cost about £5 each. If I leave kit on, then I am shortening its life and - in the case of a desk - reducing the quality as time progresses. As it stays hot, the caps dry out and the semiconductors slowly deteriorate and become more noisy. At night, we turn everything off and I make sure it's all off, by flipping the circuit breakers.
I heard different about the caps. they dry out just as much when not in use?
hot cold hot cold hot.... isn't that worse than "normal" operating temperature? Things shrink and expand.
Old 20th January 2007
this was covered in an earlier thread. I have a mid sized console, I power it off at the end of the day as I do with all my gear. In the winter I leave my 2" on. When I start my day, I turn on the console and leave it on till the end of the day. I've had this board for about 10 years now with only one PSU incident.
Old 20th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
this was covered in an earlier thread. I have a mid sized console, I power it off at the end of the day as I do with all my gear. In the winter I leave my 2" on. When I start my day, I turn on the console and leave it on till the end of the day. I've had this board for about 10 years now with only one PSU incident.
Pretty much the same experience here with the exception of the 2" which has been off almost permanently the last several years.
I used to have more maintenance problems with the console when I kept it on 24/7. Also the power bills were cut in half when we quit the 24/7 and the savings were way beyond any maint. costs. The console here is an Otari 54, probably considered a mid size unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search