The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixes done on the SSL AWS 924?
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Nut

mixes done on the SSL AWS 924?

Can anyone point me to examples of mixes done on the SSL AWS 924?

Thanks!
Nicholas
Old 27th May 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

interested to hear as well
Old 28th May 2016
Here for the gear
While I had "a lot" going on ITB everything eventually ended up being mixed down through the channels an AWS 924 and it's compressor for The Social Network soundtrack. I enjoyed the console,it's sound, and the ease of recall. I love 4000s so it felt and sounded familiar.

I mixed the score ITB but for the soundtrack the score was expanded on for each cue a bit and we decided to use the console as a mixing platform.
It was surprisingly easy to use the AWS for 5.1 as well for the Blu Ray release we did of just the soundtrack. I'm pretty proud of that mix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_So...rk_(soundtrack)

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilo View Post
Can anyone point me to examples of mixes done on the SSL AWS 924?

Thanks!
Nicholas
Old 28th May 2016
If you're in to metal Andy Sneap has had one for atleast 5 years.
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Eveything mix by Ken Lewis since a couple of years.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael-ange View Post
Eveything mix by Ken Lewis since a couple of years.
well, technically, i have an SSL AWS 900+ not a 924. But very similar consoles. My console is my favorite SSL i have ever mixed on and I've mixed on every type of SSL known to mankind. I'd bet if i mixed regularly on a Duality i might like it better, but sonically the 900+ is a beast and you stay right in mix position the entire time which is a huge advantage over the huge E, G, J and K consoles, but the limited channels are definitely a limitation of the 900+.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
well, technically, i have an SSL AWS 900+ not a 924. But very similar consoles. My console is my favorite SSL i have ever mixed on and I've mixed on every type of SSL known to mankind. I'd bet if i mixed regularly on a Duality i might like it better, but sonically the 900+ is a beast and you stay right in mix position the entire time which is a huge advantage over the huge E, G, J and K consoles, but the limited channels are definitely a limitation of the 900+.
Did you ever post an example of how you feed the 900+ from Logic/protools?
Have you considered trading up to the 948?
A Duality with stereo channels like the 948 would be sweet.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Did you ever post an example of how you feed the 900+ from Logic/protools?
Have you considered trading up to the 948?
A Duality with stereo channels like the 948 would be sweet.
Hey Nuk!!
i'm really not interested in trading up. My studio definitely aint broke and dont need fixing. Some extra channels would be nice, but not putting myself into debt for gear is more appealing to me right now Maybe if i produce a big hit, It'll be time to upgrade me. got a couple in the pipeline that could do it. We'll see
Old 27th November 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Nuk!!
i'm really not interested in trading up. My studio definitely aint broke and dont need fixing. Some extra channels would be nice, but not putting myself into debt for gear is more appealing to me right now Maybe if i produce a big hit, It'll be time to upgrade me. got a couple in the pipeline that could do it. We'll see

Reviving this old thread, Im also on an AWS900(24 ch).

I am wondering how you look at the 24 channels as far as feed, now that projects have so many tracks, and parallel processing, and efx and what not...

its certainly not the "24 track tape machine" with a console channel per recorded track, as it used to be....

So id love to hear how you look at the 24 available console channels and how you bus to them.

Thanks!
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Jack Johnson's To The Sea album was mixed on an AWS. Sounds good to me.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Reviving this old thread, Im also on an AWS900(24 ch).

I am wondering how you look at the 24 channels as far as feed, now that projects have so many tracks, and parallel processing, and efx and what not...

its certainly not the "24 track tape machine" with a console channel per recorded track, as it used to be....

So id love to hear how you look at the 24 available console channels and how you bus to them.

Thanks!
thread back from the dead!
Yes its a different analog world than it used to be, but to me, digital has gotten so good that the combination of the two works really well for me. Usually I'll comp and blend all backgrounds ITB and spit them out to 2 faders (maybe 4 tops). Obviously the more dense the mix, the more combining you need to do ITB. My main strategy is to keep the most important elements on their own channel(s), Lead Vocal, Kick, Snare, Bass, whatever main instrument(s) in the song, stay each on their own channel. Then you just try to make the best decisions about what and how to combine the rest and bring it on to the console.
Old 30th November 2016
7+1
Lives for gear

Not a bad board. I mixed a few singles on one for the past year
Old 2nd December 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
thread back from the dead!
Yes its a different analog world than it used to be, but to me, digital has gotten so good that the combination of the two works really well for me. Usually I'll comp and blend all backgrounds ITB and spit them out to 2 faders (maybe 4 tops). Obviously the more dense the mix, the more combining you need to do ITB. My main strategy is to keep the most important elements on their own channel(s), Lead Vocal, Kick, Snare, Bass, whatever main instrument(s) in the song, stay each on their own channel. Then you just try to make the best decisions about what and how to combine the rest and bring it on to the console.
How do you do your parallels? itb? on the board?
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
How do you do your parallels? itb? on the board?
It depends. The AWS 900+ has 2 mix busses, so for instance if i want to parallel compress the drums with the SSL Mix Bus Compressor, i can put the drums on both busses and treat the second mix bus like an aux return, balance the parallel however it sounds best but have complete control over the sonics.

I dont mind running parallel ITB either, but honestly, on the whole, i do very little parallel compression.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Do you guys use the crack for extra line inputs ?

I'm used to 24 bug and small faders and fur that reason alone is why I'm considering a 4000/6000 next.

Big draw is the automation and the XL sonics.. Big and clear with headroom.

If I need grime I've got more than enough outboard n mojo boxes for that!

What's a slut to do?
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by popantipop View Post
While I had "a lot" going on ITB everything eventually ended up being mixed down through the channels an AWS 924 and it's compressor for The Social Network soundtrack. I enjoyed the console,it's sound, and the ease of recall. I love 4000s so it felt and sounded familiar.

I mixed the score ITB but for the soundtrack the score was expanded on for each cue a bit and we decided to use the console as a mixing platform.
It was surprisingly easy to use the AWS for 5.1 as well for the Blu Ray release we did of just the soundtrack. I'm pretty proud of that mix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_So...rk_(soundtrack)

Michael

Late props for your great work!
Old 4th December 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends. The AWS 900+ has 2 mix busses, so for instance if i want to parallel compress the drums with the SSL Mix Bus Compressor, i can put the drums on both busses and treat the second mix bus like an aux return, balance the parallel however it sounds best but have complete control over the sonics.

I dont mind running parallel ITB either, but honestly, on the whole, i do very little parallel compression.
Im using all of the aux send and returns plus the rec bus for my parallel.
I do all my compression as send/ret these days so i treat the comps like effects and send combinations of things to them to be returned on my auxs.

On rec bus indo a parallel of the entre, or most of the mix n parallel and try to leave the final bus, mix bus, without any treatment as it always sounds better to me then a treated mix bus.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Any professional albums tracked through the AWS 924? (Please specify if using external or internal Mic pre amps).

Thanks!
Old 24th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysw View Post
Late props for your great work!
Amen. Absolutely made that film!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search