The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
closest coloured summing box to the famous Neve sound
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

closest coloured summing box to the famous Neve sound

Hi guys,

Still searching for that box, summing or not, that would bring me that weight, fatness and velvet famous Neve sound ?

I thought wbout the Chandler Mini mixer but users told me that it was more fuzzy sound for rock and roll and I am doing dance music .

I am looking for that sweet weight colour analog sound like in the 70's.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Sergio

PS: I already own a Thermionic Phoenix, a UA2192 converter, an SSL X logic compressor, and a pair of 33115 Neve modules racked.

Peace

Last edited by sergioelectro; 26th November 2015 at 08:11 PM..
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Addict

I'm using the Vintage Design SU-1. It is no longer manufactured i think.
I think it has that Neve sound and sounds great.
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I think you might be best served by the Great River box… LOTS of trafo's in that thing and seems to be very weighty…
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

RUPERT NEVE DESIGNS 5060 CENTERPIECE; I think this is the most logical sense for a Neve summing sound. For cheaper NEVE 8816 SUMMING MIXER or RUPERT NEVE DESIGNS 5059 SATELLITE these only have 16 i/o though.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Rascal Audio. Closest I've heard to an old Neve. Really makes a difference.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
Rascal Audio. Closest I've heard to an old Neve. Really makes a difference.
Thanks for the tip
I was really thinking about that unit the Rascal Audio Tonebus
Really bring noticeable modjo ?

Last edited by sergioelectro; 26th November 2015 at 06:35 AM..
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
I think you might be best served by the Great River box… LOTS of trafo's in that thing and seems to be very weighty…
Great River. I would second this. The closest I've heard a summing mixer to that spacious big console sound with a definite Neve flavor
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
STill seraching for that box, summing or not, that would bring me that weight, fatness and velvet famous Neve sound ?
No such thing. The "Neve sound" is a myth. Unless by that you mean "good", but there's many paths to goodness. I love Neve style preamps and I have an 8816 summing mixer, all great, but the sound depends on what you put into it and how hard you hit everything. I could make a song completely from neve style gear and no one could say "that's the neve sound" because it doesn't exist.

If you are looking for a 70's style sound, the production techniques are much more important than the gear. I have heard projects done ITB that have a 70's vibe to it, and projects with all vintage gear that sound as modern and clean as could be.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
No such thing. The "Neve sound" is a myth. Unless by that you mean "good", but there's many paths to goodness. I love Neve style preamps and I have an 8816 summing mixer, all great, but the sound depends on what you put into it and how hard you hit everything. I could make a song completely from neve style gear and no one could say "that's the neve sound" because it doesn't exist.

If you are looking for a 70's style sound, the production techniques are much more important than the gear. I have heard projects done ITB that have a 70's vibe to it, and projects with all vintage gear that sound as modern and clean as could be.
Thanks for your message
When I mean 70's sound , ofcourse there are the techniques of that time , but I am talking strictly in terms of sound.
Just pass your digital sound for example in a Neve Preamp and you understand what I mean

Regards

Sergio
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for your message
When I mean 70's sound , ofcourse there are the techniques of that time , but I am talking strictly in terms of sound.
Just pass your digital sound for example in a Neve Preamp and you understand what I mean

Regards

Sergio
I am pretty sure production techniques affect the sound of a recording. You are not going to get a vintage sound just from using an analog box.
Old 26th November 2015
uuh? Neve maybe?
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
uuh? Neve maybe?
Do you like it?
Do you notice real improvment using it ?
Regards
Sergio
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do you like it?
Regards
Sergio
Of course, it's a great box, if a little finicky and hit or miss on build quality. Get the warranty and test it thoroughly when you first get it. It's not really just a color box, it's really a full mixer minus auxes and pres with more connections than any other summing box.

If you are just looking to color digital mixes, any stereo pair of neve clones or originals will do. The RND boxes with silk control will do the trick as well as many other plug ins.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Any other feedback from users of the Rascal Audio tonebuss for the goal I want to achieve and mentionned in this thread.
Thanks
Sergio
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you like it?
Regards
Sergio
every summing mixer with transformers and tubes will bring an improvement!
On my shadow hills equinox i use the "iron" transformer which is neve alike, and the hole sound gets more 3D and there is a serious bass enhancement going on.
I think thats what people perseive as the "neve" sound.
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Guru

Since you have the Neve modules, you might consider a Roll Music passive summer with your Neves on the back end as your gain stage.
Old 26th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Great River. I would second this. The closest I've heard a summing mixer to that spacious big console sound with a definite Neve flavor
The MM20 is our favorite summing box, by a looooooong mile.....

It has +29 headroom, everywhere. 16 transformers. Big thick solid sound, huge center image, with spread eagle sides. Depending on how you drive this box, the transformers will saturate musically before the amplifiers even get close to distorting.

The new mic preamps Dan designed for it are special. Way special. Killer tone and super flexible when you chain all your stuff on the inserts. You can drive them anywhere and back and they work on anything. Extremely versatile bit of kit right there.

The master mix amplifiers he put in this machine are very serious.
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Addict

This is probably the closest to what you are after

GTM822-2GN | Aurora Audio

Note: Its only 8 channels and would need the expander to reach 16... not just a summing box its a mixer! Discrete Class A Neve inspired by a guy who used to work for...Neve.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

In answer to your followup question, when the Rascal is placed into the path, whether it was on two channels or a mix, I noticed a real change in the "oomph" of the track. No more scientific than that but a noticeable change in a good way.
Of all the summers I've listened to (and that's a LOT), the Rascal is the only one that gave me that Neve 80XX impression. Lots of fine boxes out there. Just my opinion but it is an opinion formed from hands-on use. YMMV.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
In answer to your followup question, when the Rascal is placed into the path, whether it was on two channels or a mix, I noticed a real change in the "oomph" of the track. No more scientific than that but a noticeable change in a good way.
Of all the summers I've listened to (and that's a LOT), the Rascal is the only one that gave me that Neve 80XX impression. Lots of fine boxes out there. Just my opinion but it is an opinion formed from hands-on use. YMMV.
Thank you
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

I think I am gonna try the Rascal audio tonebuss.
The great river looks great nut more much more $$$$
Hope the Rascal will bring some goodness and fatness.
Thanks for your help guys
Regards
Sergio
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I am gonna try the Rascal audio tonebuss.
The great river looks great nut more much more $$$$
Hope the Rascal will bring some goodness and fatness.
Thanks for your help guys
Regards
Sergio
If on a budget why not just throw a couple Neve style pre's (pick your era) on your two buss to fatten things up? This approach would be more utilitarian imo.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Just buy some AMS-Neve reissue mic amps. $3000/each.

AMS-Neve 8816 mixer is designed as a stand alone 88VR so a cleaner sound than vintage. Still very good though.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

The Heritage MCM-8 was designed to be a replica of the vintage Neve console summing, along with 8x 500-series slots.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Nut
I own the following...Rascal Tonebuss (the 24 channel one), SPL Mixdream, SSL Sigma, and Neve 8816. They all have their pro's and cons, but, for what you are looking for, (Neve-tone) go with the Neve. If you just want tone/color and don't care about "Neve-ish_ tone, the Tonebuss is another great option, but you lose all of the options and flexibility of the 8816 ( adjusting stereo spread or going mono/stereo on all channels. etc). However, Overall, the Sigma is the baddest of the bunch. clarity, weight, you can really push it...but if you want some REAL thick color and tone, the Tonebuss and the Neve are your best bets.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Burl B32 Vancouver is also worth a listen.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin2 View Post
I own the following...Rascal Tonebuss (the 24 channel one), SPL Mixdream, SSL Sigma, and Neve 8816. They all have their pro's and cons, but, for what you are looking for, (Neve-tone) go with the Neve. If you just want tone/color and don't care about "Neve-ish_ tone, the Tonebuss is another great option, but you lose all of the options and flexibility of the 8816 ( adjusting stereo spread or going mono/stereo on all channels. etc). However, Overall, the Sigma is the baddest of the bunch. clarity, weight, you can really push it...but if you want some REAL thick color and tone, the Tonebuss and the Neve are your best bets.
Thanks
I think I will still choose the Rascal.
I feel it will have more colour and weight than the 8816.
Regards
Sergio
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Nut
Be a true slut and get both. I am learning the difference between color and tone. You will be happy with the tonebuss, is a great piece.
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

More advice ?
Thanks
Sergio
Old 9th December 2015
SEED78
There is a thread on here where people compared the tonebus to a folcrom and pacifica combo, Google it up, interesting read. People were totally 50/50 about prefered results.

I think if you track everything with a Neve style preamp then stick that on the 2 bus of a fairly cheap and clean summer you'll get good results. Add some tape and blam!

Before settling on my Neve clones and Studer 089 console + Mammoth Cave Passive Agressive, I was originally looking at the Chandler, Phoenix Audio Nicerizer, and the Vintagemaker.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search