The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
closest coloured summing box to the famous Neve sound
Old 10th December 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
shortstory's Avatar
I love our Fat Bustard MKII- but I'd also check out the Chandler summing mixer.
Old 10th December 2015
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
There is a thread on here where people compared the tonebus to a folcrom and pacifica combo, Google it up, interesting read. People were totally 50/50 about prefered results.

I think if you track everything with a Neve style preamp then stick that on the 2 bus of a fairly cheap and clean summer you'll get good results. Add some tape and blam!

Before settling on my Neve clones and Studer 089 console + Mammoth Cave Passive Agressive, I was originally looking at the Chandler, Phoenix Audio Nicerizer, and the Vintagemaker.
Do you like your Mammoth?
In fact in my thread I should have emphasized that I was searching for something beefy with strong analog omph and balls .
Old 10th December 2015
  #33
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
More advice ?
Thanks
Sergio
I've got the Dangerous 2Bus+ and the SSL Sigma for summing, and I plan on using 5 of these (among other things) in conjunction for tone and mojo:


https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...tone-ampa.html
Old 10th December 2015
  #34
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Do you like your Mammoth?
In fact in my thread I should have emphasized that I was searching for something beefy with strong analog omph and balls .
I've only been using the Mammoth for the first time over past few weeks, so far it seems like a great tool. It's got Carnhills for even more 'Neve' vibe. I've got a additional tube mod in mine too, for yet another tone option. I do think tone boxes are the way forwards for small studios.

I've come to realise not one magical item will fly me away to mojo land, its a group effort of preamps, EQ, mixer, bus compressor, nice mic's, and eventually tape if I'm feeling brave.
Old 10th December 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I've got the Dangerous 2Bus+ and the SSL Sigma for summing, and I plan on using 5 of these (among other things) in conjunction for tone and mojo:


https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...tone-ampa.html
Are you already using them ? or is it on order ?
Regards
Sergio
Old 10th December 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Are you already using them ? or is it on order ?
Regards
Sergio
I have the Dangerous 2-Bus+ and the Sigma already, but the LTL SB's are on order.

I'm still in the market for 32 channels of DAC...am considering either the yet unreleased Ferrofish A32 or the Orion32+, may consider other converter options as well.
Old 10th December 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 

I heard the summing boxes shoot out on gearslutz
Didn't like the Rascal.
Not beefy enough

Is there a real summing beefy unit out there ?
Old 10th December 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
I use a Speck x.sum, which has the option to route the non-amplified summed signal. Then I run it through my Aurora GTQ2. Sounds amazing, neve-ish, and I have a great line mixer and a fantastic pair of pre's in the bargain. Plus I can use the GTQ's eq while mixing, which is great for cutting boxy 400 hz and giving a bit of top end shelf air.
The Speck also has two busses, like the RND, so I can create a drum bus (bus B on the speck) through creative use of the patchbay, then run that bus through an 1176 and back into one of the A bus channels. Instant parallel compression.
Old 11th December 2015
  #39
SEED78
Guest
Thermionic Bustard?
Old 11th December 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Thermionic Bustard?
already got a thermionic phoenix compresssor, might be overkill
too much tube sound
I want to add next to it the weight of transformers based unit
Old 11th December 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
I love our Fat Bustard MKII- but I'd also check out the Chandler summing mixer.
Yes nice units, but I am doing dance music and the Chandler is more for rock'n roll , kind of fuzzy sound. Well that's what a guy who got one told me.
Old 11th December 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Here are quite a few, including the Rascal Audio Tonebuss and Chandler Mini Mixer:

Todd Burke is a Record Engineer (Blog): Summing Mixer Shootout

Sounds to me like the Aurora Audio has the magic.
Old 11th December 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Yes nice units, but I am doing dance music and the Chandler is more for rock'n roll , kind of fuzzy sound. Well that's what a guy who got one told me.
The drums and percussion for Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines were submixed through a Chandler Mini Mixer. Doesn't sound fuzzy to me.
Old 11th December 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Here are quite a few, including the Rascal Audio Tonebuss and Chandler Mini Mixer:

Todd Burke is a Record Engineer (Blog): Summing Mixer Shootout

Sounds to me like the Aurora Audio has the magic.
I kinda like the ITB take the best. The Aurora comes in at #2 for me. Everything is just a slight hair off from each other, if it was based off this shootout alone I'm not sure it's worth the investment

Last edited by Mr. Mulcahy; 11th December 2015 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: update
Old 11th December 2015
  #45
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Yes nice units, but I am doing dance music and the Chandler is more for rock'n roll , kind of fuzzy sound. Well that's what a guy who got one told me.
I can't find people who agree on the Chandlers sound, had someone tell me it was too clean, def a unit that needs to be demo'd.

Inward Connections Mix690 or Phoenix Nicerizer?

I've heard a Bustard and Phoenix combo on dance music, sounded dark rather than too tubey.
Old 11th December 2015
  #46
SEED78
Guest
How about a rack of Seventh Cycle N72 Neve preamp clones, and just record and sum through that and a passive summer?
Old 11th December 2015
  #47
Lives for gear
 
foldback's Avatar
I've been using my Neve 8816/8804 since they first started shipping (2007?), I have one of the first systems that came into the US.

Besides being an excellent mixer with gobs of headroom and unique mixing controls (width control and parallel mixing insert) this piece is also an excellent control room monitor controller, a good value when you consider everything this system offers.

I don't notice anything that really identifies the 8816 as a Neve "flavor" sonically, it's just a very high quality stereo mixer.

Good music to all!
Old 11th December 2015
  #48
Gear Maniac
 
coder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
I heard the summing boxes shoot out on gearslutz
Didn't like the Rascal.
Not beefy enough

Is there a real summing beefy unit out there ?
If i would listen to online shootouts, i probably wouldn't have bought my equinox
For me there is no such a thing like genre specific devices.

Nice little vid from api btw: API BOX at Detroit Techno Star Kenny Larkin's Home Studio
Old 11th December 2015
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hi guys,

Still searching for that box, summing or not, that would bring me that weight, fatness and velvet famous Neve sound ?

I thought wbout the Chandler Mini mixer but users told me that it was more fuzzy sound for rock and roll and I am doing dance music .

I am looking for that sweet weight colour analog sound like in the 70's.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Sergio

PS: I already own a Thermionic Phoenix, a UA2192 converter, an SSL X logic compressor, and a pair of 33115 Neve modules racked.

Peace
I wonder what made you think that your targeted sound can be possible with Neve in general.
Old 11th December 2015
  #50
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Here are quite a few, including the Rascal Audio Tonebuss and Chandler Mini Mixer:

Todd Burke is a Record Engineer (Blog): Summing Mixer Shootout

Sounds to me like the Aurora Audio has the magic.
Didn't listen to shootout, but can vouch for the aurora magic. Just did a mix through my speck. Through the speck main outs, which are pristine and no slouch, the mix sounded good. When I rerouted through aurora pres, though, the mix just popped into another dimension. Night and day.
Old 11th December 2015
  #51
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

Very educational shootout. Thanks for posting. I can now take summing box off my lust list.
Old 16th December 2015
  #52
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
Very educational shootout. Thanks for posting. I can now take summing box off my lust list.
That shootout was like 3 years ago...
Old 16th December 2015
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Here are quite a few, including the Rascal Audio Tonebuss and Chandler Mini Mixer:

Todd Burke is a Record Engineer (Blog): Summing Mixer Shootout

Sounds to me like the Aurora Audio has the magic.
Rascal was my favorite. It really had the beef in the low end, and a truly deep analog sound to it. To me it sounded like a console. The Aurora was nice but a bit too clean for me. Great mid range, but to me the Rascal added to the sub region, which I like. At $2500, its also the bargain of the bunch. Incredible bargain.
Old 16th December 2015
  #54
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin2 View Post
That shootout was like 3 years ago...
It was only a recent addition to the lust list. :p That said, I'm glad I read and listened for myself. I felt he really had a great test method.
Old 16th December 2015
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Trying to get the sound of an entire large format recording console out of a summing circuit is a tall order. I haven't heard any summing amplifiers that sound like a vintage Neve console and I think it's because summing is just one small piece to the console puzzle. If there is a unit that can accomplish such a thing I'd love to hear it.
Old 16th December 2015
  #56
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hi guys,

Still searching for that box, summing or not, that would bring me that weight, fatness and velvet famous Neve sound ?

Sorry no summing unit will sound like a vintage 80 series neve.
too much stuff in there like multiple line/summing/buss stages etc.
Old 16th December 2015
  #57
Lives for gear
 

i agree with above

the calssic neve sound comes from hundreds of marinair transformers, countless gain stages etc. all packed in a desk. no summing box will give you anything remotely close.
Old 17th December 2015
  #58
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
i agree with above

the calssic neve sound comes from hundreds of marinair transformers, countless gain stages etc. all packed in a desk. no summing box will give you anything remotely close.
I've had most of the summing boxes..Aurora,Chandler,Tonelux,API etc etc..Although there is a loads of invaluable info on GS,unfortunately there's lots of marketing and bs handed out daily with one goal in mind:
to sell you more gear.
"If I just buy this one mic,this new 500 series module,magic summing box,this compressor,this gold cable..these better convertors,the weekly new "amazing" plug in etc,I'll make timeless awesome sounding art".
Old 17th December 2015
  #59
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I've had most of the summing boxes..Aurora,Chandler,Tonelux,API etc etc..Although there is a loads of invaluable info on GS,unfortunately there's lots of marketing and bs handed out daily with one goal in mind:
to sell you more gear.
"If I just buy this one mic,this new 500 series module,magic summing box,this compressor,this gold cable..these better convertors,the weekly new "amazing" plug in etc,I'll make timeless awesome sounding art".
well, i guess we all fell for it at some point of our career. i certainly did
Old 17th December 2015
  #60
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
well, i guess we all fell for it at some point of our career. i certainly did
So did I.
owning tons of great gear wont magically make you the next Glyn Johns or have the next John Lennon appear at your studio doors.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump