The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Xlogic E signature channel users?
Old 19th January 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
SSL Xlogic E signature channel users?

These preamps look nice. I was wondering if we have any users out there or if anyone had a chance to demo one...I’ve never used a e series ssl console so i have no clue...any info will be much appreciated....
Old 19th January 2007
  #2
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

Stonkingly good on electric guitars and snare drums.
Old 19th January 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
yeah i would mostly be using them for guitars. I just have no clue what an ssl preamp sounds like. I have a chandler tg2 which i love and i have a great river with their eq patched into it...
Old 19th January 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
bump
Old 20th January 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
no more users?
Old 20th January 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
maybe this subject is ultra high end?heh
Old 20th January 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Stonkingly good on electric guitars and snare drums.
Why not much talk on the new E signature channel. Have many sold? I know they are expensive but I’ve never seen a channel like that...i’m not on a quest for an SSL sound. the only reason I’m thinking about buying a couple is i have the new
g-series compressor and its the Best compressor i've used on a mix to date...the other mic pres i have now are the chandler tg2 with tone control's on the way and great river mp2-nv with the eq-2nv patched in. I love those also but the E channel is Intrigueing
Old 20th January 2007
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Why not much talk on the new E signature channel. Have many sold? I know they are expensive but I’ve never seen a channel like that...i’m not on a quest for an SSL sound. the only reason I’m thinking about buying a couple is i have the new
g-series compressor and its the Best compressor i've used on a mix to date...the other mic pres i have now are the chandler tg2 with tone control's on the way and great river mp2-nv with the eq-2nv patched in. I love those also but the E channel is Intrigueing
Because SSL is not really known for it's pre's it's more the eq and dynamics.
Old 20th January 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Because SSL is not really known for it's pre's it's more the eq and dynamics.

So all the studio's using SSL mixing boards are using external preamps? SSL preamps are not that good? i dont know much about them?
Old 20th January 2007
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
So all the studio's using SSL mixing boards are using external preamps? SSL preamps are not that good? i dont know much about them?
All? You'd have to take a poll I guess, but I'd be willing to bet most, at least every SSL room I've been in had outboard pre's. SSL's are mixing machines. Neve 80 series consoles are know for their pre's whereas V series consoles are not.
Old 20th January 2007
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
These preamps look nice. I was wondering if we have any users out there or if anyone had a chance to demo one...I’ve never used a e series ssl console so i have no clue...any info will be much appreciated....
I know i am in the minority but my favorite SSL's are the early to mid 80's 4000E/6000E's. They to me have the most character out of the entire SSL line.

I call it the "NYC mix sound" characterized from all the records that were cut here in the 80's.

The E EQ and dynamics from these consoles rock. Great on drums,percussion,bass and electric guitars. The line amps though leave alot to be desired and the mic pre's either worked for you or didn't. If they had the Jensen trannies they would always suprise you how ballsy they can sound.

I've heard from someone who's opinion i truly respect that the new signature E channels are a must have. I can only imagine without all the sh*t in the channel they must sound really open and punchy.
Old 21st January 2007
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

SSL E-Sig channel

I bought the E-sig for my work studio where we mainly do voice over recording. While I have some experience using a 4000 series SSL, this was my first chance to hear SSL's "super analog" sound. I mainly use the "new" mic circuitry (I think the one with the Jensen transformer and that allows for their harmonic distortion). The unit sounds great, clean and transparent although I usually only use light compression and no eq or filters. It's kinda overkill for what I do but if you are able to spend $4k, why not?
The only thing that bothers me is that when pushing buttons to engage certain features (changing eq characteristics etc) results in a huge audio thump so you really have to be careful and cut your monitors. As I'm not sure if something isn't right with the unit, I will at some point have SSL here in LA check it out. But otherwise, I really like it and recommend its sound (no complaints from any clients).
Old 21st January 2007
  #13
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

The E Channel is not a SuperAnalogue design. If you want that then try an XRack or a SuperAnalogue channel.

The Jensen transformer was fitted to many E Series in the UK after 1983 - I think it started as a mod for the BBC. Not too many E's in the US had this mod though... The new pre is the VHD one which does not have a transformer.

Glad you're liking it though :-)

Who's using them?

Spike Stent
Radiohead
Czeno Townsend
Depeche Mode

Can't be all that wrong......... and like I said, stonkingly good on electric guitars!
Old 21st January 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
......... and like I said, stonkingly good on electric guitars!
what is it that makes it so good on electric guitars?
Old 21st January 2007
  #15
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

The Jensen pre, EQ, and VCA dynamics somehow just find the "magic" frequencies on a guitar well.

Plus, the VHD mic amp gives you another tone option.
Old 21st January 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
well seems like i got some good feedback on these..thank you all for your input..
i think i will get a pair...maybe i can post some wave files if anyone is interested...
i will have them in about a month...thanks guys
Old 21st January 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
i think i will get a pair...maybe i can post some wave files if anyone is interested...
I'd be interested.

Thanks




Old 23rd January 2007
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

SSL E Sig pic

Just because I think Gearslutz doesn't have enough gearporn, here behold the beauty of SSL (sorry but had to reduce picture size dramatically to be able to post):
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Xlogic E signature channel users?-p1000150.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
she's a beauty
Old 18th March 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
i never got a pair of ssl's...just never felt comfortable about it...i did get some chandler germ's, tone control's, and a pacifica...i think i will get some in th future
though....
Old 18th March 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
I had the Superanalogue channel for a while- I wasn't that into it.
It sounded clean and was obviously high quality but just not a tone I like.
The compressor is nice though- and the EQ.

I also have an ISA220 which is tonally similar (but not as good).
The money tied up in the SSL simply wasn't worth it to keep- I went for a Vipre instead and rave about it.
Old 18th March 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
yeah, I think chandler gear was made for me I love the tone I get out of the pre's
I just don't think I will ever top it...then I patched them into the tone control's and I've never been so satisfied





Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I had the Superanalogue channel for a while- I wasn't that into it.
It sounded clean and was obviously high quality but just not a tone I like.
The compressor is nice though- and the EQ.

I also have an ISA220 which is tonally similar (but not as good).
The money tied up in the SSL simply wasn't worth it to keep- I went for a Vipre instead and rave about it.
Old 18th March 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
I have a SSL X Logic S.A. Channel and back to back against a ISA 430 I like the ISA better.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump