The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA 2192 or Benchmark DAC ADC
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

UA 2192 or Benchmark DAC ADC

Hi guys!!

Can anyone advise me on the sonic/quality differences between the UA 2192 and Benchmark DAC ADC. I only need 2 ch in and out. I find it very difficult to choose between these two. Is there anyone out there who has both or has had the same doubts. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Cheers!

Marrone
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I just purchased a 2192 recently for my studio (so I was in your position just a couple of months ago... though I was looking between a 2192, Rosetta and HEDD), and I must say, I love it. The sonic difference between it and my old 002 converters is night and day.

Many reviews for the 2192 say that it has an incredibly analogue sound, and I would tend to agree with that.

I am running a Soundelux iFet7 - Manley Voxbox - UA2192 and that chain sounds like silk. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase.

I haven't had the chance to use the DA converters as much, however, since I just yesterday got in a Central Station so that I could use the 2192's DA, but what I have heard in that short time, they seem to sound just as high class as the AD.

Another thing to consider is that the 2192 has a master clock with 4 word clock outputs, so that you can clock your entire studio. This feature is worth a grand or more in itself.

I have not heard the Benchmark, but even if the AD DA is of the same quality, the master clock still makes the 2192 the much better deal.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. Some people say it has a certain color. Do you notice this? I was about to buy the 2192 but then i heard about the Benchmark and read a lot about it on the gearslutz forum. Especially because of bob katz who was praising the Benchmark i started doubting. I do not have the possibility here to try them both out. So i really need your help please. Is there anyone who has heard them both and knows the adv vs disadvantages between these two units? Once again all the help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Marrone
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

anyone else favor UA over the rosetta?
Old 19th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
anyone else favor UA over the rosetta?
I do, but Apogee converters are really good too and I wouldn't kick them out of bed, as I use my 2192 in conjunction with Rosetta or AD16x.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

do you prefer the UA? how much did you pick on up for? how did the rosetta 16X cost? what is the difference between the 16x and the rosetta 200?
Old 19th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you prefer the UA? how much did you pick on up for? how did the rosetta 16X cost? what is the difference between the 16x and the rosetta 200?
They are both great. I rent the Apogees and own the 2192. I bought my 2192 two years ago new, for $1800 before the ridiculous price hike. As far as differences between the Rosetta 200 and 16x, I assume it is the Big Ben clock in the AD16x and the fact that the Rosetta 200 is only 2 channels of AD/DA rather than 16 channels of just AD conversion.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
They are both great. I rent the Apogees and own the 2192. I bought my 2192 two years ago new, for $1800 before the ridiculous price hike. As far as differences between the Rosetta 200 and 16x, I assume it is the Big Ben clock in the AD16x and tha fact that the Rosetta 200 is only 2 channels of AD/DA rather than 16 channels of just AD conversion.
There are other differences. The AD-16x is a completely new design, including the analog section and, I believe, PSU. So adding a Big Ben to the Rosetta 200 won't make it a two channel AD-16x. That being said, the Big Ben will still improve the sound of the Rosetta 200.
Old 19th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter View Post
There are other differences. The AD-16x is a completely new design, including the analog section and, I believe, PSU. So adding a Big Ben to the Rosetta 200 won't make it a two channel AD-16x. That being said, the Big Ben will still improve the sound of the Rosetta 200.
Thanks for clarifying Zach, as I have never used nor rented a Rosetta 200, just the 800 and 16x and I always clock them off my 2192 anyway so I can not comment on the Big Ben. I was giving a generalized comment.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

B&H Pro Audio sells the 2192 for $2350, but shh, don't tell anyone.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

So if were to buy a 2 channel converter, the UA 2192 would be the best bet for the value, right?

The 16X must be very expensive? 16 channels ??? 5000 USD???
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
no, its 3250$
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if were to buy a 2 channel converter, the UA 2192 would be the best bet for the value, right?

I think the Lavry Blue is in the same price range.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I picked up a 2192 last december in place of my rosetta . . . definitely worth the purchase. The converter is stellar as is the clock.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know UA 2192, but I have Benchmark and Lavry. I definitely prefer Lavry over the Benchmark. DAC1 is very useful, has nice volume regulation, balanced & RCA outs, but Lavry has better sound.
Old 15th September 2017
Here for the gear

The UA 2192 was designed by the Designer / Creator of BURL Audio. Get the Burl B2 Bomber and Blow up all your tracks with Analog punch.

Marrone[/QUOTE]
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Head

It's only been ten years but I'm guessing he picked one already!

I'm with ya on Burl tho!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search