The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso ELAM vs Neumann U87, which one and WHY?!?!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Peluso ELAM vs Neumann U87, which one and WHY?!?!

Ok, why do I want a Peluso ELAM over a Neumann U87.

I have NO customers to impress, I need a great sounding vocal mic.

Until I can afford a Wunder Audio CM7 the "cheaper" (yeah right) Peluso ELAM or U87 will be my choices.

Any takers? I need some advice...........
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
Ok, why do I want a Peluso ELAM over a Neumann U87.

I have NO customers to impress, I need a great sounding vocal mic.

Until I can afford a Wunder Audio CM7 the "cheaper" (yeah right) Peluso ELAM or U87 will be my choices.

Any takers? I need some advice...........
Can't you go to a store and hear it for yourself? These are two very different sounding mics...not at all the same colour, it's kinda hard to give you any advice based on what you just said...
ELAM is a copy of Telefunken 251, U87 is U87, and CM7 is a recreation of the U47...All those mics are veryyy different.

I personally am not a huge lover of U87s but on the right singer with a nice chain it sounds great and after all, how many hundreds of albums have been recorded with an 87 on the lead vox?

The Peluso line is a great bang for the buck, The P12 and 2247le are both great mics and I'd have no problem choosing a peluso over an 87 for a vocal track...
I haven't heard the 251, can't comment on it, supposed to sounds good on female vox.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Since your getting it as a compromise and really want the Wunder Audio CM7 , you might want to sell the mike again.in that case you ll get probably more for the U87.

I once bought a U87 for the same reason (wanted a U47). I bought a used one and Im still using it although i have many other mikes now. (incl. the U47 which is great but not the answer to all questions IMO)

I
Quote:
haven't heard the 251, can't comment on it
same with me....

www.nickoosterhuis.com

"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
Since your getting it as a compromise and really want the Wunder Audio CM7 , you might want to sell the mike again.in that case you ll get probably more for the U87.

I once bought a U87 for the same reason (wanted a U47). I bought a used one and Im still using it although i have many other mikes now. (incl. the U47 which is great but not the answer to all questions IMO)

I same with me....

www.nickoosterhuis.com

"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba

I don't think Peluso is a compromise mic at all! Once you have these mics you keep them! I agree, they're not quite on par with a wagner or wunder but still they're damn fine mics

If he wants a u47 flavour, the 2247le is gonna get him closer to it than an 87 I think, the 87 sounds nothing like a 47, the 2247 does have a bit of that "special 47 touch" ( quite a bit actually, after doing side by side comparisons I was amazed how great the Peluso sounded).
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

If you have a U87 I'd seriously consider converting it into a tube mic with the InnerTube Audio U87 Retrofit Kit. Now that sounds great.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
If you have a U87 I'd seriously consider converting it into a tube mic with the InnerTube Audio U87 Retrofit Kit. Now that sounds great.
How much is the mod? I'm interested.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

U87 vs 22-251

No contest. The U87. I have used both dozens of times, and own the 22-251. The U87 is so good for so many things and the Peluso is high endy, lacks features (rolloff, pad), and requires some warm-up time. IMO its not in the same league as a decent u87. I know I will get flamed for this - but that's my experience. I tend to judge by what comes out of the mic cabinet. Since its half the price of a good u87 - the comparison is not fair. I'm not talking about ai - I'm talking about an excellent condition, refurbed, used U87.

Don't get me wrong - there are certain kinds of things the Peluso is great for - better than the U87 imo - like some Female Voc. But for that to be right its got to be the right preamp. I use it as an overhead above symbols to get this smooth golden sound that the tube gives - but if the drummer hits the snare too hard - I gotta select a pre with a pad. So, basically, its high maintenance. I had to buy a 100 dollar tube to get the Peluso where I wanted it to be (less scooped, less brash). I'd get the U87 even if I already had a U87 so I could have a pair of them. I would get the peluso if I already had a pair of U87 (or comparable) and did not have a tube mic in the c12 family.

That said, the Peluso has its own vibe, and is a fine mic for the money, and works well on a number of sources - and the pattern control can make the difference between an average track and a great track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search