The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital VS. Analog CONSOLE
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Digital VS. Analog CONSOLE

I am now researching different consoles to use in a studio that is in the process. I am interested in the DIGI Icons and have thought to use some nice outboard pre's. There are quite a few to pick from. My question is, what are the advatages of an analog as opposed with going digital.

I'm sure the electricy bill will be more with the analog console. Does my original idea seem better? Or should I still consider analog? I've read threads to not pick a console for its preamps to go with outboard, so this just backs up my digital theory.

Geez... just a tough one.

I've worked on the Neve 9098i and an SSL 9000J. I liked them both, but the 9098i would be my choice.

Then again I've worked with the D-command and the D-control.

I like them all.

NEED SOME FEEDBACK!!! Advantages and DIS advantages ---- PLEASE!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstudio View Post
I've worked on the Neve 9098i and an SSL 9000J. I liked them both, but the 9098i would be my choice.

I like them all.

NEED SOME FEEDBACK!!! Advantages and DIS advantages ---- PLEASE!!

Hmmm ... You worked on on that great stuff and you need to ask feedback on wether one or the other has disadvantages ?

I suppose whe you say 'worked' you do mean more then 'I have been present in a rrom a couple of times that had one standing a couple of feet away from me and they allowed me to look for a couple of minutes at what the engineer was doing from behind the rack over their shoulders.'

No pun intended but it strikes me as rather 'odd' that someone who has 'worked' on desks like SSL and Amek .... and fwiw not the smallest ones you would find in the average home studio round the corner , and on top of that has experience on both D Control and D command should asks for this kind of feedback ?

I of course humbly appologize if your post gave me the wrong impression.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

some of those fancy schools?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
i guess so!!!!!!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I haven't work on any of them.
Please, share your experience
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow you guys are so judgemental and bitchy. Try resisting the urge to bully next time guys please. Shouldn't you guys be soldering some cables anyway!

Peace,
cortisol
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Full Sail grad.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Uhh, I don't think you should base your decision to buy an Icon vs. a SSL based on your electric bill.

Why not start out with something small and try to make some money/build a client base first?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts View Post
No pun intended but it strikes me as rather 'odd' that someone who has 'worked' on desks like SSL and Amek ....
I don't get it... where's the pun?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I like them all.

Well, buy them all !...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow! This thread devolved quickly. Welcome to gearslutz!

Respectfully, this topic gets ultra heated and has been discussed and argued over ALOT. It's almost impossible to have a digital / analog debate so the best way to go forward is by doing a search - "quotes" and no quotes, you'll see what I mean.

I understand that you're researching what's best for you and I hope you find some information. GearSlutz is great so don't let it turn you off that this topic generated some snappy responses. I understand the point made about you having worked on both formats so you'd know the differences and even have your own personal preferences.

There's a few topics like "which mic pre is the best?", "I have $500k, make a gear list for my new studio!" and so forth which tend to hit a nerve. Analog / Digital whatever debates are one of those topics.

Best of Luck!

Quote:

Advantages and DIS advantages ---- PLEASE!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search