The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSI Audio AVVA C20 (post your experience -review)
Old 2nd December 2018
Gear Head

I have a pair. No hiss here.

A.
Old 2nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosculpture12 View Post
Looks like a solid improvement Deckdaddy!

I'm curious - i had a pair on loan at one point, and could definitely hear a very small amount of amplifier noise from the AVAAs (to describe better, the very small hiss you get if you put your ear close to loudspeakers). The dealer assured me I was the only person to comment on this and that the AVAAs are silent. So I suppose I'm just wondering if any owners can comment. I could definitely notice this noise at the listening position - not terrible or anything - but 'present'.

Great products. Made a definite difference to my room when i demo'd them.
Could you record a video highlight the hiss? I did this when I found that kind of sound of the monitors, it would be obvious if put your phone close enough to the hiss source.(and I sent the video to manufactures, all solved so I won't mention the brand)
Old 2nd December 2018
Lives for gear

I don’t hear hiss even when pretty close to them. However, one of them has hum, probably 50 Hz with harmonics, not very loud but it also gets amplified acoustically by the corner it’s in. The other does not have this hum and they’re even plugged into the same power socket. I’ve emailed the store and we’ll take it from there.
Old 2nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Actually there is some hiss, but its like lowpassed noise, not bright or 1-6K heavy. I can see that if you’re in a very quiet room with them right in front of you you might hear them.
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks Deckdaddy - good to know i am not alone in hearing something.
Mine were in the rear corners of a 5*4 metre room - a very quiet room i guess (but won't they all be?). One could certainly sense their presence as an increase in the rooms noisefloor.

As I said - a great product, but good to know my ears aren't going totally crazy!
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosculpture12 View Post
Thanks Deckdaddy - good to know i am not alone in hearing something.
Mine were in the rear corners of a 5*4 metre room - a very quiet room i guess (but won't they all be?). One could certainly sense their presence as an increase in the rooms noisefloor.

As I said - a great product, but good to know my ears aren't going totally crazy!
Hmm..That makes AVAA questionable as a bass trap substitute...I was planning to buy 2-4
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Just to note i am in no way suggesting this is problematic or even normal - it’s only my experience and wanted to explore if i was the only one.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Hello,

I'm a non professionnel user in the sense I do not earn money with sound. I'm a non bull**** audiophile, I use objective and subjective test to improve my playback system. I really like psycho acoustic versus accurate measurement related aspects.

I just finished few days of AVAA trials in my living room. The living room acoustical description is the following.

I hope you can read a bit of French, if you need a translation just ask. The living room has been emptied of carpets, some fournitures, the whole place has been cleared as much as possible. I'm in the process to improve the acoustic treatment of my living room. Actually the acoustics is bright and clear, this will addressed soon.

I leave in a 1916 old presbyterian home. The wall construction is 80 cm thick stones and lime. The floor is a coffered slab, so it' a light slab, with a real wood floor parquet on joist. The ceiling is a bit bizarre with in fact two plasterboard, one original and a second plasterboard ceiling 25cm under, hang with some aluminum framing. There are 6m2 of windows (wood frame, double glass)

If I try to describe how my home is built, it's 'because the AVAA is a wild animal. Any tinny changement like a door open, may cause a spectacular variation. I have a high degree of freedom in the placement of my sources and as well as in my listening position. I'm equipped with Studio Six Digital interface, application and measurement microphone.

For the next measurement I placed my sources in a non optimal position. This speaker position cause a higher RT than in other positions. This may sound odd and I ignore exactly why but this may be related to wave front shape or mode quality factors.

You can see a noticeable RT time reduction in the lower octave, in yellow the AVAA are off, in orange they are turned on.

In that case four AVAA placed in each four corners represent 10,4 sabines at 63Hz with is unbelievable for a 10 inch active speaker absorber.

I'm not sure I use the right tool to evaluate modal times. RT is a synthetic representation per band decay, but this is all I have.

I performed subjective test in that "non ideal position" for this I use synthetic sound and recorded music. With synthetic sounds, the difference is very obvious. With recorded music the first issue is to find a piece with frequency content that are really low and a decay unusually short. With music subjective test show large variations from easy to determine, to no effects at all.

PFB
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

For the next trial I used a single subwoofer model is prototype of PSI A225, microphone is a 1 inch measurement microphone from ACO pacific. I used REW because of un normalized acoustical band explored.

AVAA's in each corner all AVAA OFF. I point out the first room mode at 19Hz and the frequency scale is form 18Hz and up to 56Hz, magnitude is calibrated, so it was loud.

All AVAA ON

TR at 19Hz is reduced form more than 2 seconds to something a bit more short....

PFB
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

I heard these demonstrated at Musik Messe last year in hotel suite. I was so impressed that I went to visit Roger at PSI in Switzerland. They do an extremely good job. I will purchase 2 asap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search