The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800G different versions?? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Nut

Sony C800G different versions??

I have found a picture of a C800G, that was sold via eBay recently. I compared the specs to my own C800G. Watch the pictures enclosed!! I can't get it out of my mind, that there are different models. My C800G sounds extremely good, but I doubt, that all C800Gs will sound the same. My model is the one with #209 . The newer one seems to have more highs.

Does anybody know, if Sony has build different versions? The specs in the pictures differ.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C800G different versions??-screenshot_2015-08-26-10-28-17.jpg   Sony C800G different versions??-20150824_003647.jpg  
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Did you hear #744 ?
The chart shows the typical C-800G graph.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Don't believe there are different versions...of course not including the non-G C800.
What you see may be down to production or testing variables.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Here three frequency plots that were included in the box of three C-800G microphones.
Just for your interest….
These plots were individually made during final testing by Sony's mr. Akizuki.
There were no different C-800G versions, but the individual frequency plots may show small differences.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony C-800G plots.pdf (1.01 MB, 124 views)
Old 22nd November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Here three frequency plots that were included in the box of three C-800G microphones.
Just for your interest….
These plots were individually made during final testing by Sony's mr. Akizuki.
There were no different C-800G versions, but the individual frequency plots may show small differences.
And these three C800G really sounded absolutely the same? Or would you say, that one of them sounded better?

I know, that the first owner of my C800G remitted two mics to the distributor, because they were not sounding as good as the original demo model Sony sent him. Sony sent him 2 other C800G and this was the one he kept.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
And these three C800G really sounded absolutely the same? Or would you say, that one of them sounded better?

I know, that the first owner of my C800G remitted two mics to the distributor, because they were not sounding as good as the original demo model Sony sent him. Sony sent him 2 other C800G and this was the one he kept.
I guess the only Thing I can add....is that Sony after giving up their Pro Audio Lines kept the C-800-G and other microphones going, their response? No idea as so many top shelf Sony staff jumped ship or.....were pensioned off, and unlike Neve their heartiness (to be applauded) it's of little consequence to them.

My personal Sony Rep saw me through MCI/Sony JH24's to 3324/A's and then 3348's alongside Oxford and DMX consoles.....sadly they ( Sony Japan at ROHS time ) had enough and refused to compromise designs, the fall out....Sony went not AV though Broadcast only.

Huge loss, though.....again, the dreams of ordinary men made extraordinary etc!
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Maniac

To add to the maddness... here's mine. I don't know how this compares to a typical C800G frequency response chart, but mine sounds darker compared to what I expect from a C800G.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C800G different versions??-20170514_101241.jpg  
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

A rap producer told me that some C800G are magical weapons for Grammy awards. And some are not.
You have to figure out which one you have.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

one of my alltime favorite customer calls "you got that mik-a-phone that looks like a gun ?"
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search