The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Its been a while. Adam A77x vs S3a
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Head

Its been a while. Adam A77x vs S3a

Alright so im looking too buy either a new pair of a77x or a used pair of s3a. Im producing, mixing/mastering bass heavy electronic music (big room/ progressive house). Im in a decently treated 13x9 ft room and i already have that Adam sub 7, but rarely turn it on and would need the speaker to produce low enough for me to be mixing and choosing the right kicks. Most threads say the s3a dosent go low enough, but does the a77x go lower? Also the a77x will be new and the s3a have been discontinued for a while so it will be a little older, would that have any effect on the speakers? Let me know your opinions on which you prefer and why.
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Head

gotta make the decision tonight. Please give me some thoughts
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have A77X and they go down to 35 or so. They are better to me as midfields. I love mine. Mainly HipHop/RnB. If I had a sub, i probably wouldn't need to use it much. Haven't heard the S3A. There are reviews for both at SoundOnSound. They say they didn't think S3A went as low as spec'd. But they say A77X low end is massive. They are built very similarly. If the overall cost isn't significantly different, I'd go with the A77X. A lot of people say that the low end on Event Opals is pretty much untouchable in this price range. If you can find a pair, it might be worth going that route. But go read the SOS reviews.
Old 12th November 2015
Are you familiar with the Adam sound? Have you or do you have a chance to use both in your studio? If no chance to audition, I would go with the a77x, they are new, spec lower, more impressive for clients (if applicable) and will have a warranty just in case any issues come up.
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Head

Thank you guys for the info. I do like the Adam sound, i find the mids to be detailed enough to help with the layering of lead sounds and recognizing different layers which for me is very important. Its just ive heard soo much great thing about the S3A, but at this point it's probably wisest to go with the newer model as technology has been progressing greatly. But id love to hear more opinions from people that have or are using either one
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddank View Post
Thank you guys for the info. I do like the Adam sound, i find the mids to be detailed enough to help with the layering of lead sounds and recognizing different layers which for me is very important. Its just ive heard soo much great thing about the S3A, but at this point it's probably wisest to go with the newer model as technology has been progressing greatly. But id love to hear more opinions from people that have or are using either one
Between those two Id go for the a77x... However,

I was trying to decide between the Event Opals and Adam A77x a while back and chose the Event Opals, in my opinion they are just in another league altogether. Good luck either way
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Adorama just had a special and I bought a brand new pair of A77X's for $1600 with free shipping. They arrive tomorrow.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
barryjohns Where did you see that deal? I looked on their site and am not seeing it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It as originally on Slickdeals.net, it ended a few days ago. I'd recommend calling them to see if they will honor it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

FWIW in replying to a really old thread: a77x were my main speakers for about 5 years (got them when they were released). Last week I got this incredible deal on a pair of S3X-V's with a Sub12.

A- and S- series are NOT in the same league. There is a reason why a single S costs more than a pair of A. Width, depth, detail, ... insert any superlative you'd like.

Herwig
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I'm with you on this, but i think you'll turn into a LivePoet the moment you'll get the second Sub12
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search