The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Placement & stands question re: Neumann KH120 monitors Studio Monitors
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Placement & stands question re: Neumann KH120 monitors

Hi all,
I’ve just got some new monitors, Neumann KH120A and would like to set them up properly. I’ve read in the manual that they shouldn’t be any closer to a wall than 0.8 meters - unfortunately, my room being what it is I’m going to have to put them about 5- 10cms away from a wall. They have some guidelines for cutting the bass if they’re against a wall so presumably that works (?) - but I’m wondering if anyone can suggest something I could put on the wall that might help? I don’t have any acoustic treatment in my room at the moment but am planning on getting some bass traps in the corners and something for the first reflection …. But for the wall behind the speakers - ? I’m not sure.
Secondly, in regard to these particular speakers I need stands and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the stands Neumann sell for them? They have a few different options, desk mounts, wall mounts etc – does mounting them on the wall like that sort of cause the wall to become part of the speaker? Or are the speakers decoupled from the wall by the mount? Are the Neumann stands as good as say, Atacama or Sound Anchor?

Finally, I was thinking of then adding the Sub Neumann make (KH805) but it’s 65cms deep – (and presumably wants to be 0.8 of a meter from the wall too?) – I just don’t have the space – so my question is, can the sub be put to one side? I could have it at a 45% angle on my right but what does that do to the stereo image? Also it would then be backing into a corner. Do people ever position subs like that in mixing set ups (not home theatre or whatever) ? Also regardless of position, what height should a sub be at?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! I did email Neumann a few days ago but not sure if they’re going to respond, am impatient etc.
Thanks!
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

I am exactly in the same boat as you! Just bought these monitors the other day but i too have an untreated room and i have also placed my monitors 5-10cm away from the wall. I'm planning to creat some diy traps but in the meantime i wanted to get some acoustic foam behind the monitors - is this worth a go? Also, i've set the notches to -2.5 for bass and left the other to 0, is this ok for now? My room is 3mx3m

Did you ever resolve your issues?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

I assume you are in a small room if you have to place them against the wall. The first thing you need to do is treat your room properly.
Having them that close to the wall will make the low frequencies inflate. Measure your room. And adjust the eq settings on the back. If, again assuming, you are in a small room, the last thing I would do for these speakers is getting a sub as the low frequency problem you already have will get out of hand.

If you do insist on having one, The placement of the sub is not important, in my opinion.

Standard stands will do.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaknam View Post
I am exactly in the same boat as you! Just bought these monitors the other day but i too have an untreated room and i have also placed my monitors 5-10cm away from the wall. I'm planning to creat some diy traps but in the meantime i wanted to get some acoustic foam behind the monitors - is this worth a go? Also, i've set the notches to -2.5 for bass and left the other to 0, is this ok for now? My room is 3mx3m

If your room is 3x3 it is square which is the worst possible room configuration when it comes to standing waves. No one can tell if -2.5 is enough for your problems. You need to measure your room. You probably have huge bass problems that foam panels will do absolutely nothing against.
You will need huge bass traps.
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

As i've mentioned i'm building some bass traps for the corners of my room but im just waiting on the materials to arrive which will take about a week im guessing.

I was just gonna use the foam as a substitute on the reflection points behind my monitors until i got more funds for more traps to replace them. I think i'll still place them there as its gotta be better than nothing right? I've got some foam hanging around already from a mate who had spares.

As for measuring my room - do i really have to shell out on an omni mic or can i do it without using a mic? whats a decent cheap solution for an omni mic? Don't really want to spend more than £50 tbh.

Thanks again!
Old 18th February 2016
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear
I use the Klein&Hummel O110 for quite some time now, which are somewhat the predecessors of the Neumann KH120. And I recently added the Fine-tune Your Sound: 3 Sizes of IsoAcoustics Speaker Stands Iso Acoustics IsoL8r-155 desktop stands. They fit perfectly and I couldn't believe the positive impact it had on the sound. It's now more transparent and less boxy than before and I can highly recommend these stands for a bit more than a hundred bucks.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just got some too, I'm amazed how much bass such a small monitor has!
My room is fairly well treated, (and around the same size as yours) but I've also had to cut the bass, because they are a little boxed in where I have them set up. I think placement with these monitors is going to be very important.
Because bass will be the issue in your room with these, the foam wont don't anything to help, it will only absorb the high frequencies, which may sound worse.
Old 19th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I just got some too, I'm amazed how much bass such a small monitor has!
My room is fairly well treated, (and around the same size as yours) but I've also had to cut the bass, because they are a little boxed in where I have them set up. I think placement with these monitors is going to be very important.
Because bass will be the issue in your room with these, the foam wont don't anything to help, it will only absorb the high frequencies, which may sound worse.
Ahh yes i think you're probably right about the foam there!

I'm not really interested in getting a sub to be honest, i'm perfectly happy with the sound these beauts produce. If i wanted to really feel the bass thump - i' go out to a decent club lol.

I think in this case i'll just concentrate on the corner traps as starters for 10

cheers
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hi Dhaknam, I haven't been able to make any progress on this. I read enough about treatment to realise it's complicated and if I do it wrong I'm probably making it worse rather than better. One thing I did see was a long GS post about a DIY broadband absorber in the studio of Hannes Bieger in Berlin - which apparently will take care of bass frequencies and comb filtering etc if you have to have speakers backed up against it - but is still about 25cm deep (or something, I forget, it's made with an ikea bookshelf). I followed the instructions for the bass cut in the manual - which says -5db foe where I have them (about the same proximity to the wall as yours) ... this sounded REALLY wrong to me - but what do I know?! Certainly less than the techs at Neumann - but I was just listening to a range of music with them at -5db bass cut and seeing if I could get used to it. When some Dr Dre came on my I-tunes shuffle I was listening to the relationship between the kick and snare and I'm pretty sure I know what their relationship should more or less be - I think I have some idea of what a balance between them should sound like - and the -5db cut was totally out. So I've ended up going with -2.5db and it sounds pretty close to neutral to me - though I'm sure there is comb filtering etc - also wouldn't mind putting something to stop the high frequencies bouncing around - but haven't... so yeah, this has turned out to be a difficult thing for me to address! I'm not unhappy with the monitors though - but not in a great position to judge anything really. I'd be keen to hear about any breakthroughs you have!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search