The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E49, U49
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

E49, U49

I have some new Clients who sound like and want to sound like Norah Jones. I understand she used a u49 on her first record at least, and many people use u49 as a first call for Female voc. I have nothing in this family of mics, but as I understand it they were general purpose in their design?? I can't afford a properly maintained u49 at the moment, but an e49 (soundeluxe) is within reach. What part of all these assumptions is true. Is the e49 in the same league sonically as the u49? Any other comments appreciated. I just don't see many posts about them in these here gearslutz pages. My goal is to have a mic I can use for a lot of things, but is killer for one thing. How do you use it? t
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

U49? Maybe you mean a "M49".
I haven't heard the E49, but based on other clone offerings by Soundelux, it probably still won't sound like the original. In fact, no two "M49's" even sound exactly alike. It's kinda like old Martin/Gibson acoustic guitars, the model doesn't guarantee a winner. In my experience, very few vocal mics fit into the "ONE CATCH-ALL AMAZING" catagory. Different tools for different voices. Good luck.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Are you sure first Norah CD was an M49?. I've readed somewhere it was a C12 for voice. It's very posible they used M49s but in other sources.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

The E49 is an outstanding mic.

Incidentally, ours has found it's way into the 'surplus department' and have plans of moving it out.

We have some great mics at our disposal and this one, unfortunately, has become redundant.

PM me if you wish to hear more details or if you have any questions concering the mic.

*not spam.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I do a lot of work over at Walter Sear's place and use his M49 all the time, usually in studio C with the avalon console.

On many occasions I've done overdubs at my place with my E49 and 2022 and it's nearly impossible to tell where the overdubs have taken place in the final mix.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

thanks and

yes of course I meant m49. One of the sales people at Vintage King told me Norah Jones used an m49 on her first record - it doesn't seem as scooped as a c12 to me but its hard to tell without hearing her voice and knowing the eq etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search