The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1 or 2 transparent analog faders
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

1 or 2 transparent analog faders

Hello People,

I have a mixerless studio. I'm interested in picking up an analog fader so I could ride the levels going to my daw while tracking. Something very, very transparent so I can put it in line say .... mic pre / eq / fader / comp .

Just something that feels good and works.

Any suggestions ?

Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

if you have a lot of money, look at the trident consoles.
if you dont have a lot of money, a mackie will do the job.
Old 17th January 2007
What about just using the Frontier Design AlphaTrack? It may not be "high-end" but I assume it will do the job you're looking for.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't need a whole mixer. Just a few "out board faders" to put between my class a pres eqs and compressors.

Just an analog fader with an in and an out. Nothing else. No pres, eq, busses ......

Am I going to have to rig one myself ???

heh
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
What about just using the Frontier Design AlphaTrack? It may not be "high-end" but I assume it will do the job you're looking for.

Hmmmm

Maybe I'm asking this the wrong way.

Not a daw controller.

An analog fader just so I can manually ride voc levels going to the daw so the compressor doesn't have to work as hard.

Somthing like a few analog P&G faders with ins and outs. That's it.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

I assume the Tonelux faders would be perfect...

Good luck,

Olivier.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

You mean like this
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

or you could get an a-designs atty which is just a knob for passive stereo volume control.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

Good luck,

Olivier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
You mean like this

That looks good !

Would a single fader like that require a power supply ?? Are the 1/4" plugs just simple ins and outs ??
Old 19th January 2007
Neumann W444 or simular, pigtails, simple 24V PSU, ready.
Or go passive. Even better. (cleaner)
The tonelux needs a rack, if I'm not mistaken. Does it have a generic connector? Or propriety?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Neumann W444 or simular, pigtails, simple 24V PSU, ready.
Or go passive. Even better. (cleaner)
The tonelux needs a rack, if I'm not mistaken. Does it have a generic connector? Or propriety?
Yeah, I wish I could buy a passive fader in a box that I could just set on my desk and go. The simpler and cleaner/ more transparent, the better.

Any suggestions for a passive fader ???

The atty would work, but a fader would feel better.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Eckmiller....

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 19th January 2007
eckmiller faders pop up regularly on german ebay. those are passive faders from old tube amp based consoles. the impedance is all wrong for interfacing with modern gear but that can be fixed. they are heavy, built like anything you've ever seen before and don't have the fast action of the more modern alps or neumanns or whatever. so don't expect lightning quick fades from those.
they go for so cheap however, that it will be possible to just get one or two and check it out.
or you could put two high quality pots or faders yourself in a desktop box with some grippy knobs. how good are you with diy?
the atty suggestion seems logical, but how fast is the action on that? it isn't built as a fader is it?

I'd go for one or two neumann or danner faders, pray to all the audiogods you get a nice one, or go for a complete tonelux system, and built it up investing, starting with the fader.
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
HA you beat me to it LOL
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
mr. president heh,
is that already on the market? I'm waiting for a fader&controls&scribblestrip, the Radikal SAC 2.2 I had my eye on seems to be not available anymore?? and I already got one beringeher too many in my studio. (1)
NAMM?
thumbsup
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post

That looks good !

Would a single fader like that require a power supply ?? Are the 1/4" plugs just simple ins and outs ??
Don't go Deluxe Luxury Toneluxe, they cost a LOT of money, need racks, have propriety connector interfacing the racks, need PSU.

If you just need passive fader, standard in standard out, let a good tech build it for you at a fraction of the cost from parts like studer, neumann (ebay...).
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoing View Post
Don't go Deluxe Luxury Toneluxe, they cost a LOT of money, need racks, have propriety connector interfacing the racks, need PSU.

If you just need passive fader, standard in standard out, let a good tech build it for you at a fraction of the cost from parts like studer, neumann (ebay...).
That's what I was afraid of.

The ATTY is starting to look pretty good ( knob instead of a fader ) . I noticed it's stereo.
Does it have a detent at unity ??

It'd be nice to just buy something and go as opposed to building something, but I can rig a fader if necessary.
Simple and clean is good heh
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

............ or go for a complete tonelux system, and built it up investing, starting with the fader.
That's a long road starting with one fader heh

Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Tonelux fader is just a fader. It doesn't need a special rack or pwr supply. It comes with a cable terminated to a trs for the Tonelux modules. Wouldn't be hard to figure out what's what and Paul's very helpful. The fader comes with the face panel, you make the box or yes you can buy the fader rack but that doesn't make sense for 1 or 2 faders.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

http://www.oram.co.uk/octaFADE.htm
would probably do the job.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks very much for the help people !!

I just ordered the ATTY, I'm hoping it works out. Only $99 and I trust it won't degrade the signal quality. Should be fun to mess with the gain structure on my old api 312's ( they don't have an output knob ). If it doesn't work for riding levels, I can use it for an output.

Thanks again
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
Thanks very much for the help people !!

I just ordered the ATTY, I'm hoping it works out. Only $99 and I trust it won't degrade the signal quality. Should be fun to mess with the gain structure on my old api 312's ( they don't have an output knob ). If it doesn't work for riding levels, I can use it for an output.

Thanks again
SK1,
How did this work out for you? Use it a lot?
Anything better on the market these days?
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airexmusic View Post
SK1,
How did this work out for you? Use it a lot?
Anything better on the market these days?

For $99, I can't complain. Turns out I'm using the ATTY more for an output than to ride vocs going in. I think faders would still be more ergonomic in the end.

Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Just buy a fader that suits your purposes and wire it up! (put it in a box, etc.) I have a 4 element P+G NOS master fader that was for a Neve 80 series console. It actually came from Electric Lady. I had little 1U rack chassis that my machinist friend cut a nice slot in and mounted the fader for me. I put 8 1/4" jacks in the back, so I have in and out for each element. I can fade up to quad unbalanced, or using insert cables, I can do stereo balanced... works like a hose! There is a little click at the bottom that I believe takes it to full mute.

Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Forget faders ..let tracks happen sans manipulation (like world's top engineers do)
'
Old 18th April 2009
member no 666

Good luck with the ATTY... not only have I heard it negatively affect the sound but if you're trying to use it in a stereo application be prepared for your left / right balance to wag around like the tail on a very happy puppy.

You can get a couple of "P&G" [Penny and Giles] faders for around $100 each... wire them into your patchbay [or to "tails} and insert them where you need them. I think you'll find that the audio is not only better... but if you get a stereo one and wire it properly you'll find that left/right stay evenly balanced throughout the entire fading process.

Peace.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Just buy a fader that suits your purposes and wire it up! (put it in a box, etc.) I have a 4 element P+G NOS master fader that was for a Neve 80 series console. It actually came from Electric Lady. I had little 1U rack chassis that my machinist friend cut a nice slot in and mounted the fader for me. I put 8 1/4" jacks in the back, so I have in and out for each element. I can fade up to quad unbalanced, or using insert cables, I can do stereo balanced... works like a hose! There is a little click at the bottom that I believe takes it to full mute.

I want that.

If not just to say .... "dude.... see this fader ...... it came from Electric Ladyland ..... Jimis studio !!! "
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Forget faders ..let tracks happen sans manipulation (like world's top engineers do)
'

I'm surprised that you would say that, considering you're so old school with your opinions. Lots of great engineers used to ride vocs going in to keep the comp from working as hard.

This came about for me when I had a chick singer that would sing way louder on certain parts and I wanted to pull down the loud parts going in real quick .... I knew the songs and it wasnt a big deal. It worked better and faster than having her re-sing just those parts.

Sans manipulation?? LOL ...... it's a little late for that now

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search