The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rca bk-5
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

Rca bk-5

Hello slutzs

i just recently used a RCA BK-5 recording a flugelhorn..and the result was pretty amazing...sounding very smooth and pleasant. That mic was constructed to hold a very high perssure levels...like shoutguns recordings inna films recordings ( foleys) so where and how do you use yours??

cheers
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

Don't own a BK5. How would you compare to 77, 44, and 10001s?
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Don't own a BK5. How would you compare to 77, 44, and 10001s?
i would compare according its price...the RCA 44 is a very expensive mic...but the BK-5 still sounding cool
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have a couple of these. I must say that 'smooth' is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe mine... They have a pretty strong peak in the frequency spectrum somewhere around 3.5kHz, and are far from flat elsewhere. They certainly don't have the dark, soft tone that people tend to associate with ribbon mics.

The last time I used mine was on Django Reinhardt-style 'manouche' guitar, where it did a great job of capturing the 'bite' that the player was after -- sounded awful in solo but just right within the mix. They can be great on guitar amps when you want a sound that cuts through. I should probably dig them out and try them on a few more different things.
Old 8th November 2015
Yup. Great guitar cab mic.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
I have a couple of these. I must say that 'smooth' is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe mine... They have a pretty strong peak in the frequency spectrum somewhere around 3.5kHz, and are far from flat elsewhere. They certainly don't have the dark, soft tone that people tend to associate with ribbon mics.

The last time I used mine was on Django Reinhardt-style 'manouche' guitar, where it did a great job of capturing the 'bite' that the player was after -- sounded awful in solo but just right within the mix. They can be great on guitar amps when you want a sound that cuts through. I should probably dig them out and try them on a few more different things.
Last time i used mine recording a flugelhorn and it sounded so smooth and like a silk...like you right said you have to try it on different sources until find the sweet spot....for some instruments it will not be the best cup of tea...and it is not dark at all indeed...i actuall never heard that ribbon mics have the "dark" softone that you said...
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yup. Great guitar cab mic.
God yes, my fave for this chore.
Old 9th November 2015
Used a BK5 for years. Found that for most things an EQ dip of about 2-3db at 3.5K was essential for me to get what I wanted out of it. Then it sounded great! These days I prefer a Beyer M160.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Head

Are you talking about a BK5a or a BK5b? The top end response on the BK5b is better.
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Nut

Great mic... As a trumpet player, I have a pair-- fully restored and in mint condition. They are the " baby" 44, designed by John Sank, Harry Olson's #1 guy at RCA. I've used these on a trumpet section with a pair of Coles..
very well match up !!
Speaking of RCA's ... I have too many 77dx's... anybody interested ??
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear
Great Mic

A BK5 does not really sound like a typical ribbon. It is probably one of the best guitar mics I have used. It can take high spl and it sounds very good on snare as well.
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
A BK5 does not really sound like a typical ribbon. It is probably one of the best guitar mics I have used. It can take high spl and it sounds very good on snare as well.
the BK5 on a midrange instruments shines everywhere..
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear
Funny,
I used a beyer m-160 for years and now am happily using a bk5b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
Used a BK5 for years. Found that for most things an EQ dip of about 2-3db at 3.5K was essential for me to get what I wanted out of it. Then it sounded great! These days I prefer a Beyer M160.
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Kick drum with a blast pad is cool
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search