The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most Forgiving Vocal Chain Condenser Microphones
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

SM7b is forgiving mic for sure.
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear
I will echo what others have said. If this setup is mainly for your voice, then find the mic that works for your voice. I had one client that all of the top shelf tube condensers sounded like **** on his voice. It was awful. Now on most people any of these mics are the bomb. Then I put up a ribbon and there it was. You have to match the voice and mic.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I will echo what others have said. If this setup is mainly for your voice, then find the mic that works for your voice. I had one client that all of the top shelf tube condensers sounded like **** on his voice. It was awful. Now on most people any of these mics are the bomb. Then I put up a ribbon and there it was. You have to match the voice and mic.
Noted. Being the owner of both an r92 and sm7b, both of which have been mentioned as tools that could cover a lot of ground, not to mention I also have a 47fet clone and my 251 clone that I could upgrade. I also have a Galaxy ST-634 that's been surprising on a lot of voices. I originally switched the tube out for a GE Jan and later for an RCA. It's crazy how sometimes it's the perfect choice. I really would like something more high end and smooth, but maybe I just need to do an Ma5 and then maybe like a Hardy. I've got a Burl, a 1272, some TL Audio tube pres(which get used a lot on voice actually), a pair of 1073 clones, an old Midas 32ch board and the pres in my interface(which are plenty usable, but I can't add a compressor afterwards. I'm still thinking I may have been on the money with the v72 or 672 being a different enough flavor for my spot. An Ma5>Missing Link>Brute could sound spectacular with my 251 upgraded with Heiserman HK12 and Tfunk 6072 with circuit tunes. Clearly I have a lot of options weighing in that I've thought about, but I haven't truly settled in on one quite yet.

You all are fantastic for continuing to chime in. Thank you!
Old 13th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Noted. Being the owner of both an r92 and sm7b, both of which have been mentioned as tools that could cover a lot of ground, not to mention I also have a 47fet clone and my 251 clone that I could upgrade. I also have a Galaxy ST-634 that's been surprising on a lot of voices. I originally switched the tube out for a GE Jan and later for an RCA. It's crazy how sometimes it's the perfect choice. I really would like something more high end and smooth, but maybe I just need to do an Ma5 and then maybe like a Hardy. I've got a Burl, a 1272, some TL Audio tube pres(which get used a lot on voice actually), a pair of 1073 clones, an old Midas 32ch board and the pres in my interface(which are plenty usable, but I can't add a compressor afterwards. I'm still thinking I may have been on the money with the v72 or 672 being a different enough flavor for my spot. An Ma5>Missing Link>Brute could sound spectacular with my 251 upgraded with Heiserman HK12 and Tfunk 6072 with circuit tunes. Clearly I have a lot of options weighing in that I've thought about, but I haven't truly settled in on one quite yet.

You all are fantastic for continuing to chime in. Thank you!
I understand that heiserman capsules have got some good feedback from select users (47 capsule not sure about ck12) but why in earth would you not opt for the Tim Campbell ct12 capsule?
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
I understand that heiserman capsules have got some good feedback from select users (47 capsule not sure about ck12) but why in earth would you not opt for the Tim Campbell ct12 capsule?
Also an option, but who knows when I'll get it. After speaking with about 3 modders, apparently both are VERY good. I'm not really trying to wait 6-8 months for a capsule...or has something changed?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search