The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Mini-DAC User Opinions?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee Mini-DAC User Opinions?

I am considering picking one of these up for purposes of monitoring when producing on the road using my laptop, can anyone with experience with these chime in with their opinions on the device? Also, how big is the power supply and what are your opinions on the general portability of the coverter?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Mini-DAC is a really good converter. Same as the DA-16x. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of work clock. It makes it a pain to clock to my system.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Had it, then heard the Benchmark.... off went the Apogee to Ebay.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
I am considering picking one of these up for purposes of monitoring when producing on the road using my laptop, can anyone with experience with these chime in with their opinions on the device? Also, how big is the power supply and what are your opinions on the general portability of the coverter?
The PSU is similar to the size of the one you have for your laptop.

It's very portable. I had to carry one around and have no complaints.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

psu is very small and light, smaller and lighter than the ones for laptops

usb drivers are working as they should, it can use digital in for recording when used in USB mode, just connect any AD...

it has good connectivity

speakers could be switched off while monitoring with headphones, but the switch is fiddly

sound is beafy, but next to lavry blue it is not the same class IMO...

nice unit

could be better sounding though
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post

sound is beafy, but next to lavry blue it is not the same class IMO...

nice unit

could be better sounding though
Yes, good, but not too good ...
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have the 16x's... Not the minidac.... But the 16x's are my favorite converter right now, amongst lucid and mytek...
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

As I understand it, minidac on its own isn't "stereo DA16X", you need a bigben to get there...
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumkideric View Post
The Mini-DAC is a really good converter. Same as the DA-16x. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of work clock. It makes it a pain to clock to my system.
Not true. C777 Clock is only on the AD16X, DA16X and BigBen. MiniDac has a clock that specs out a little lower, more akin to the original 2 channel rosetta 96. Not discrediting it though. I have one and it sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
As I understand it, minidac on its own isn't "stereo DA16X", you need a bigben to get there...
Almost true. Analog sections are a little different. But a BigBen would make it really close.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

My bad on the clock. I am clocking from the AD-16x anyways, so it should be the same.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mini Dac alone very good...

clocked to Big Ben...

Amazing!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Mini Dac alone very good...

clocked to Big Ben...

Amazing!
I thought so too ... Before I compared it directly to Lavry DA ...
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

I'm also thinking of picking up a MINI DAC (non usb). Has anyone tried using it with the optical output of a Mac Book Pro? How might that compare to say some of the firewire boxes out there. Not grading the "sonics" but the "performance". Things like buffer settings and general track count and things like that. Does using "Core Audio" alone "bog down" the computer? Thanks.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioisgood View Post
I'm also thinking of picking up a MINI DAC (non usb). Has anyone tried using it with the optical output of a Mac Book Pro? How might that compare to say some of the firewire boxes out there. Not grading the "sonics" but the "performance". Things like buffer settings and general track count and things like that. Does using "Core Audio" alone "bog down" the computer? Thanks.
Looks like Apogee just announced there will be a Firewire option made available for the Mini DAC...
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
Looks like Apogee just announced there will be a Firewire option made available for the Mini DAC...
Does that mean we can ship them our (non USB) Mini DACs and have them upgraded or do we have to buy a new one?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Not true. C777 Clock is only on the AD16X, DA16X and BigBen. MiniDac has a clock that specs out a little lower, more akin to the original 2 channel rosetta 96. Not discrediting it though. I have one and it sounds great.
Your right, the Mini-DAC doesn't have the same clock as the Da-16x, but it does have the same converters. I was told this straight from Apogee, so unless they lied to me...I think I am right.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter View Post
Your right, the Mini-DAC doesn't have the same clock as the Da-16x, but it does have the same converters. I was told this straight from Apogee, so unless they lied to me...I think I am right.
Slippery Slope, Zach. Power Supplies are different in both units, obviously, as one is a 2ch box, and the other is 16 ch. Hence the analog sections, even if supplied with the same components, are going to behave differently. The Minidac uses a switching power supply, though not one that is synchronized to the sample rate, as does the PS in the DA16X, if I am correct. VCXO oscillation is effected by this, and because The PSU's switching isn't sychronized to the sample rate, the anomalies posed by these ocscillations aren't as predictable, I.E> addressable.

Max Gutnik over at Apogee is a great guy.

But all this is Moot, I suppose, as I love my minidac. Carry on.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Slippery Slope, Zach. Power Supplies are different in both units, obviously, as one is a 2ch box, and the other is 16 ch. Hence the analog sections, even if supplied with the same components, are going to behave differently. The Minidac uses a switching power supply, though not one that is synchronized to the sample rate, as does the PS in the DA16X, if I am correct. VCXO oscillation is effected by this, and because The PSU's switching isn't sychronized to the sample rate, the anomalies posed by these ocscillations aren't as predictable, I.E> addressable.

Max Gutnik over at Apogee is a great guy.

But all this is Moot, I suppose, as I love my minidac. Carry on.
Yes, I am definitely on a slippery slope. I am trying to highlight some of the similarities, which most people think there are none. Thanks for bringing up some of the differences, hopefully people are more educated because of it.

I have always enjoyed hanging and talking with Max. About the only negative thing I can say about him is I would have thought he would be a able to hold his liquor better. After doing a bunch of shot with him at Apogee's party, at AES, he was really slurring his words...or maybe that was me. Who knows...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter View Post
Yes, I am definitely on a slippery slope. I am trying to highlight some of the similarities, which most people think there are none. Thanks for bringing up some of the differences, hopefully people are more educated because of it.

I have always enjoyed hanging and talking with Max. About the only negative thing I can say about him is I would have thought he would be a able to hold his liquor better. After doing a bunch of shot with him at Apogee's party, at AES, he was really slurring his words...or maybe that was me. Who knows...
Ask him about his star guitar solo at Pierre's sometime.

We're on the same team.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search