The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curve Bender vs VT5 Plugin Bundles
Old 5th November 2015
Here for the gear

Chandler Curve Bender or D.W Fearn VT5

Hello there,

Hope you´re all doing well.

I am looking for a stereo EQ to mix strings, piano, acoustic guitar and occasionally some ambient pads, I am definitely looking to get a colour from this EQ, so I wonder which one would suit me best.

I must say that I am really torn apart between these two and unfortunately I won´t have the opportunity to try them at my own studio so I welcome any opinions from anyone who had the chance to play with these two pieces.

Thanks guys.
Old 6th November 2015
I've used both,
They are really very different sounds and overall, different options.

The VT5 has a very lush, rich sound. Its a great tool for broad, high and low enhancement. Plus it lets you suck out the junk in the mids. The twin-triode amplifiers in Doug's stuff sound like Hot Gold melting into my ear drums. Very pleasing and sexual sounding. This is what Doug wanted for his studio. A flexible tool that allows simple balancing of the spectrum. Not unlike the Program Equalizers from his era as a Location engineer.

The Bender is a harder, denser, wilder sound, IMHO. You can shape anything with it. Curve Bender is a good name, but I like to call it the "Carve Bender". its like a knife through a turkey on thanksgiving. It lets you get extreme without hearing artifacts. Passive calmer EQ but tight, punchy tougher type of tone than the Fearn, which is super buttery and smooth. The Curve Bender has some sick tightening agility, [it is a huge screwdriver for audio] and its very aggressive [makes you want to crank it with force]. You can get pretty amazing sounds with this piece.

peace
a.j.b
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

The Chandler Limited EMI TG12345 Curve Bender is both a tracking and mastering EQ in one unit; you can cut or boost at either +/-.5db or +/-1.5db per band using the x1/x1.5 switch, super flexible and powerful. It has a wonderfully magical quality to it, the tone is to die for. However, I am biased, I work with Chandler.

Some prominent engineers enjoying the Curve Bender: Michael Brauer, Tony Maserati, Joe Chiccarelli, Michael Wagener, Ryan Hewitt among others.

Last edited by adam_f; 12th January 2016 at 06:29 AM..
Old 9th November 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you both for the feedback, I find it hard to believe that I wouldn´t be happy with either one of the units although I would like to pick the one that would suit me the best.

Does anyone else with experience on these particular units would like to chime in?

Also, if I am missing some other EQ that impacts colour and allows one to shape a signal in a way that these units do, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Old 9th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viol View Post
Thank you both for the feedback, I find it hard to believe that I wouldn´t be happy with either one of the units although I would like to pick the one that would suit me the best.

Does anyone else with experience on these particular units would like to chime in?

Also, if I am missing some other EQ that impacts colour and allows one to shape a signal in a way that these units do, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Both will do what you want. It's all about the (subjective) vibe. You really need to get them in and see which one you vibe better with on a personal level. There is really no other way.
Old 14th November 2015
Here for the gear

Had the chance to try the Curve Bender yesterday and I have to say it was a fantastic experience. The EQ just keeps giving and giving without ever sounding thin or harsh, the tone was fantastic and it was just "easy" to get the sound I wanted.

I tried it both on Vocals and Piano, and in a matter of minutes they just sounded lovely. The vocal opened up really well and the piano (a ballad in a low-mid register) just sat perfectly complementing the vocal with a fantastic low bottom to it.

I was very impressed by this unit and I am sure I will feel the same way if I manage to demo the vt5.

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update and as always feel free to share your opinions.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search