The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8803 dual channel eq or great river eq-2nv
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac
Neve 8803 dual channel eq or great river eq-2nv

Okay so I'm getting a used Summit Audio EQP-200B hopefully for my Pultec needs. (i am a pullec addict). What I need advice on is should I go with the AMS Neve 8803 Dual Ch. EQ with USB total recall, or should I go with the Great River EQ-2NV dual channel eq with 4 bands....looks surgical from the pictures. Not sure what would be better. Need advice!

btw - why don't people mention summit audio more often? they carry some pretty nice gear.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
What I need advice on is should I go with the AMS Neve 8803 Dual Ch. EQ with USB total recall, or should I go with the Great River EQ-2NV dual channel eq with 4 bands....looks surgical from the pictures. Not sure what would be better. Need advice!
I have both the 8802 and the EQ2NV here and they're both very capable and euphonic equalisers, both capable of surgical adjustment and both have four bands of EQ.

Love them both and it's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your preferences and workflow (eg how important is recall etc). Overall I find the EQ2NV slightly thicker in sound and the 8803 a hair more defined and precise, but maybe that's just the ways I use them on the material at hand.

Best would be to get your hands (and ears) on them and see which one grabs you. But failing that - hard to go wrong with either. And of course the obligatory GS answer is ... get both! . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
btw - why don't people mention summit audio more often? they carry some pretty nice gear.
Sure do. Guess your post makes up for that a little
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Maniac
yeah i'm gonna get a Summit Audio Pultec EQP-200B stereo tube EQ for my Pultec addiction and I'm still not sure whether to go with the great river eq or the AMS neve 8803 eq. at least the neve is 1) cheaper 2) has digital total recall BUT it would take forever to get both channels to match as this would be used on stereo tracks (MIXBUS). I don't know anyone have any ideas that could help my decision? Ultimately I want a Pultec Stereo EQ and a regular 4 band surgical type EQ like the EQ-2NV or the 8803. It will be a good juxtaposition.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict

I have the GR EQ2NV and love it. I use it in my Mix Buss and just the Mojo it has.
Old 9th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
I have the GR EQ2NV and love it. I use it in my Mix Buss and just the Mojo it has.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have the 8803 and I think it is a really good EQ. It does have a certain mojo to it like a lot of Neve stuff does. I have only used the Great River one time in a different studio so I never had them side by side. Both are really good and I really do think you would be happy with either one. The recall on the Neve is a great feature that only takes a quick second to recall.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Everything I've used from great River has been nothing short of excellent sonically. Great build quality too. I don't think you can go wrong with a GR EQ2NV and I would choose it over the AMS unit.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Also .... its a big deal If you have a GR-MP you can also run the EQ through the output transformer in the mic pre and get even more options and character out of the EQ.
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Addict

And on that...

I have the Mic pre, GR MP-2NV and the EQ-2NV. The EQ is patched into the EQ using a Stereo cable for send and return. For mix down, I simply switch the input on the EQ over to +4 XLR in/out. Such a great feature.
Old 12th November 2015
Quote:
And on that...

I have the Mic pre, GR MP-2NV and the EQ-2NV. The EQ is patched into the EQ using a Stereo cable for send and return. For mix down, I simply switch the input on the EQ over to +4 XLR in/out. Such a great feature.
Love that feature of the MP2NV/EQ2NV. When mixing, you have the option either way. Patching into the EQ with it hanging over the insert point of the MP2nV, you can take that Transformer +24 Output with the CAL knob to get even more flexibility with the chain.
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Addict

Excatly. Cause the patch out and XLR outs both feed audio from the XLR in and patch in.
Old 12th November 2015
Quote:
Excatly. Cause the patch out and XLR outs both feed audio from the XLR in and patch in.
When I first saw Fletcher do it, a few years back, my eyes lit up like a christmas tree!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search