The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A good compressor to match a 1073 for electric guitar? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Head
A good compressor to match a 1073 for electric guitar?

Hi. I´m thinking about buying a new compressor to match a Neve 1073. The main use will be recording electric guitar, both clean and overdriven. What would be a good option?
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Head
UA LA-3A or 1176 for electric guitar?

Wich one would be best fitted for recording electric guitar?
Old 4th November 2015
The jlm optical comp, its just an amazing tracking comp regardless of what is running through it. As you get high in the gain settings i would back the gain reduction off though, as it is with all comps. This comp is an A grade vocal comp too.
Old 4th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarrista View Post
Hi. I´m thinking about buying a new compressor to match a Neve 1073. The main use will be recording electric guitar, both clean and overdriven. What would be a good option?
It's not really about matching the compressor with the pre so much as listening to the sounds you are recording and deciding where you want to get to with them. For example, overdriven guitar doesn't really *need* compression at all as it is already compressed. So it becomes a matter of what flavour you want to add to it.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Guru

I use an LA3a fairly often. The APA Leviathan does all the usual opto compression, but with variable attack and release it can be a real envelope shaper. It also stays clean and open when you dig deep.
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

1176, done deal.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
1176, done deal.
Why?
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Price range? Cleaner sound, or slight color, or distortion?
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds like a record. 1073/1176 is a very popular signal chain for so many things. My go to for all guitars and most vocals.
Old 4th November 2015
Opto. I say, why have such a fast attack on a guitar? Maybe an 1176 if it's an extremely percussive type of style (like when a blues fingerstyle player 'pops' the bass string). But in that instance I'd do an opto for the heavy lifting and let the 1176's needle just barely move, on its slowest attack setting (which is already very fast in microseconds).
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Guru

I don't have an LA3A, but every time I'v used one on electric guitar it sounded great. Opto in general is good on electric guitar, even the lowly ART VLA. I've done a lot of guitar tracking and mixing with a Joe Meek SC2.2 as well.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has the potential to sound like a record. 1073/1176 is a very popular signal chain for so many things. My go to for all guitars and most vocals.
There, I fixed it for you.

We all know that no matter how great the gear, nothing trumps arrangement and performance. It only sounds like a record if its played and arranged in a record-like way.
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Price range? Cleaner sound, or slight color, or distortion?
max $2000, colored sound for metal and hard rock, but also good for cristal cleans
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

1176 is great comp and should be fantastic with a 1073 on electric guitar. Then again an LA3 or LA2 should be great too. I've recently used a Royer 122 and km84 into 1073 into a 1176 and and LA2a and both cams worked great.

Last edited by Palermo; 5th November 2015 at 04:49 AM..
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Sounds like a record. 1073/1176 is a very popular signal chain for so many things. My go to for all guitars and most vocals.
Do you know if the compressor on the 6176 is exactly the same as the 1176 or half of it?
Old 5th November 2015
Quote:
max $2000, colored sound for metal and hard rock, but also good for cristal cleans
Why do you feel the need to include metal guitar tones for the compressor? Its not a common technique, i reckon it does more damage than good.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
There, I fixed it for you.

We all know that no matter how great the gear, nothing trumps arrangement and performance. It only sounds like a record if its played and arranged in a record-like way.
You really think "sounds like a record" needs to be qualified? Kellyd has worked with some REALLY great guitar players--as in, among best in the world. I doubt if performance is lacking.

EDIT-And just for the 'record' I happen to agree, though I use a more humble chain; 1272-Purple Action. Gets 'er done most of the time. @Axlerod--True that, if only the people demanded it.

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 6th November 2015 at 05:38 PM..
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

How about a Distressor? Pretty versatile and reasonably priced. Fits the bill for what you're describing.

I may pick others for a specific task, but for a swiss army tool it's tough to beat a distressor.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
You really think "sounds like a record" needs to be qualified? Kellyd has worked with some REALLY great guitar players--as in, among best in the world. I doubt if performance is lacking.
I don't doubt that Kellyd is a total badass with a killer pedigree.
I work 5 days a week engineering in Nashville.
I work with some pretty smoke'n players myself and I have some pretty badass gear.
None of this changes the fact that performance and arrangement will always trump signal chain. That's all I'm saying.
This is gearslutz and we talk about gear here and totally I get that but we must also remember that the gear we talk about does not operate in a vacuum.
Buying a Helios module will not make you sound like Pink Floyd and buying an 1176 will not make everything sound like "a record" despite the fact that 1176 are used on lots of records.

Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Back to the topic at hand, Im really liking the Realios TLCompressor right now.

Very transparent and very easy to dial in quickly.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

You recording analog or digital?
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Why would you track electric guitar which is already so compressed with a compressor ???
Track dry keep the swing, let the mix engineer decide if it needs compression to fit in the mix.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

why the hell are you compressing electric guitar?
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
why the hell are you compressing electric guitar?
Since when is compressing an electric guitar a bad thing?!?
Old 8th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Since when is compressing an electric guitar a bad thing?!?
Really low gain and dynamic stiff needs it, but hard rock and metal only gets hurt by it in my ears
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

API 2500 thickens up guitars nicely, even without any gain reduction
Old 9th November 2015
Quote:
Do you know if the compressor on the 6176 is exactly the same as the 1176 or half of it?
I've had both and never got along with the 6176 or it's compression section.

Maybe try the Foote P3s comp,.. you could use for tracking, guitar bus or most anything as it's pretty versatile. Not a fan of tracking electrics with compression either.. gl Foote Control Systems - P3S Stereo Compressor - Standard or Mastering Edition - US Toll Free @ 1.866.235.0953
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Maniac

The UBK Fatso is a dream on electric guitar. I usually just saturate the warmth circuit, no compression at all. The LA2A can add a little sweetness and movement if used lightly, like 2dB, but the Fatso just turns it into a glorious cream while retaining dynamics. I don't have an LA3A.

I don't understand what the 1073 has to do with this decision? First you need to decide if you even have a dynamics problem. I usuallly like electric without compression. But yeah the Fatso warmth circuit and electric are made for each other.

Last edited by TheBuffaloCave; 9th November 2015 at 07:23 AM..
Old 9th November 2015
I like the JDK R22 when I don't want to add colour but some more density is needed. Shaving off just a couple of dBs in hard knee mode with it has the ability to add some attack. Think of AC/DC guitars.
When in soft knee mode it sounds pretty much transparent.

When I need to introduce some colour I reach for the FATSO instead, sometimes with light compression action going, sometimes not.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

There's really no single answer - depends on what the source is and what the mix will be like.

On overdriven single note guitar parts, a little touch with a Retro 176 can seat them in the track very nicely. For fat chords, an LA-3A is a great place to start.

For spare and clean electric guitar parts the RND 5043 is a dream, or for thicker clean sounds, EL Fatso or Neve 2254 rule. For the latter, try side-chaining it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search