The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
let's say my friend wanna buy a sidecar for summing
Old 17th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
It this a new product or something that is already available (i.e. a preloaded X-Rack)?
tutt It's a secret! heh
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
hrm..

price?

thrill, automation is possible too?

cheers

Not the standard VCA or SSL moving fader but i was considering adding the Tonelux moving faders for an extra charge.

I think its a better compromise.

And of course no total recall(sorry).
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Thrill..did you ever find another console to replace your 6K?
It took me a while to setup in my new space so no. I am this close though(holding my fingers together) to buying a used AWS 900. Somedays i talk myself into it others a Duality(believe it or not). I am not the biggest fan of the post 4K SSL sound but i am pretty sure i can get used to it. I need a console i can pack up and take with me if my landlord pisses me off by doubling my rent or not renewing the lease if he decides to sell the building(welcome to having a studio in NYC).

One thing i do know is that the summing boxes are not for me. I've tried the main one;s the last few months and its just not the same as working on a console. Its too many work arounds that are driving me crazy now and sometimes i just stay In the Box and say fu*ck it!!! Also i noticed the sound is just not the "together"sound i get when working on a console. It has a different seperated quality than the ITB mix sometimes better...sometimes worse.

Also i am working with some old school producers that are used to sitting with the engineer at a console during the mix. Pushing faders or doing their own mute cuts and not having a console and having them point to me is both frustrating to them and to me(not to mention with nothing to do they talk through the whole mixing session which is a pain itself).
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post

An SSL X-Rack could be for him maybe? No faders tho, but many options with all the modules and total recall
Minus the crunch which the 4K is famous for.

The 9K series is a totally different sound.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Minus the crunch which the 4K is famous for.

The 9K series is a totally different sound.
I'm aware of that

Missed the post where George mentions his friend is looking for crunchy
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

You know i was chatting with a fellow GSlutter today of a business i am thinking of getting into of building smaller custom built SSL's out of the older 4K modules especially since no one has the space or wants the headaches/bills of a machine room. Also it will give the SSL's a new lease on life since they won't just die away in somoeone's storage space or something. I know the Desk Doctor is doing it but me and a couple of techs here are thinking of doing something similar and hopefully affordable.
Recycle or die!
I like that, Will! thumbsup
How much do you think a customised 16ch SSL board made from recycled 4K modules could go for?
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Recycle or die!
How much do you think a customised 16ch SSL board made from recycled 4K modules could go for?
Hi Alex check your PM's.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The "Thrill" is gone these days.

But i still try to answer my PM's or respond to anything new.
(Heck after 8K posts there isn't much that hasn't been said already maybe 3 times).
Conversly, having over 8000 posts renders you a full blown addict!!!
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Conversly, having over 8000 posts renders you a full blown addict!!!
LOL
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Recycle or die!
And if I asked for a PM on that same question would I get one.... pretty please?

I would be interested but the devil is in the details right? It would really depend on what all we are talking about with the deal.....

Anyway if you are seriously thinking about selling these let me know.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

So, what was/is the big secret?

Was it the addition of the "8 input module" for the SSL X-Rack?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post

That's my guess--kind of underwhelming to say the least (had me dreaming of an SSL superanalogue equivalent to the Neve 8816 w. fader pack and Total Recall)...
Old 18th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
That's my guess--kind of underwhelming to say the least (had me dreaming of an SSL superanalogue equivalent to the Neve 8816 w. fader pack and Total Recall)...
I think it's cool.. because now you can have a couple SSL EQ's, a couple SSL compressors, 24 channels of summing, and a master buss module all in one rack with Total Recall.
Old 19th January 2007
I miss the faders tony..

the fadersheh heh
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
(not to mention with nothing to do they talk through the whole mixing session which is a pain itself).
This would definitely be my main reason for having a consoleheh (cracked me up)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search