The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 708i vs Amphion One 18´s vs --what other should be mentioned?--- Studio Monitors
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

JBL LSR 708i vs Amphion One 18´s vs --what other should be mentioned?---

Last week a friend took the -i must say- impressive JBL LSR 708i to my mix room and i liked it a lot. I felt i could take good eq and level choices that translated very good to my actual setup but that would have not been taken without them.

I am planning to get Amphion One 18´s (which i only heard briefly in a noisy expo) and the JBL again at the same time to decide which i´m keeping

Any other contender in similar league ?
Old 2nd November 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Munro Sonic egg150...
( do the 708 have cross overs or do you need a special amp?)
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

the JBL lsr708i is a very advanced design by Harman/JBL group and one of the only speaker I'm very curious about and Id think could be very special since its basically a mini JBL M2. I use amphion one18 and will be very interested by your comparison. One of the few 2-way using a compression driver...

another speaker Id consider is the harbeth 30.1 monitors. The unity audio rock 2 could also be worth a try. Genelec 8351 or genelec 8260 is also to be considered.

Id personally love to see a shoot out between all those models!!!
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear
Genelec 8351 and harbeth seconded.
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Munro Sonic egg150...
( do the 708 have cross overs or do you need a special amp?)
They do need a (Harman) BSS DSP. After this, you can use your amp selection, but the (Harman) Crown sounded great. They can work biamped or with passive crossover inside speaker. I only heard them with only left and right amplification (using internal crossover)

I here (Amphion very long thread) read someone posting that the Munro where not in the same league than the Amphions... Lux, have you heard both? Any more opinions?
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
the JBL lsr708i is a very advanced design by Harman/JBL group and one of the only speaker I'm very curious about and Id think could be very special since its basically a mini JBL M2. I use amphion one18 and will be very interested by your comparison. One of the few 2-way using a compression driver...

another speaker Id consider is the harbeth 30.1 monitors. The unity audio rock 2 could also be worth a try. Genelec 8351 or genelec 8260 is also to be considered.

very interesting proposed contenders!
Old 3rd November 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
They do need a (Harman) BSS DSP. After this, you can use your amp selection, but the (Harman) Crown sounded great. They can work biamped or with passive crossover inside speaker. I only heard them with only left and right amplification (using internal crossover)

I here (Amphion very long thread) read someone posting that the Munro where not in the same league than the Amphions... Lux, have you heard both? Any more opinions?
I have not heard any of them, but Amphion One15/18 and Munro Sonic Egg150 mkII, are the two models I have narrowed down to, for a possible purchase.
I have read an Australian review (Audio Technology) where the same reviewer seems to likte the Eggs more. Of course I know this is subjective and its is room dependent and......But I have read much about the principles behind the Eggs, and it makes sense to me. The claimed non resonant cabinet as an example...
and external amp.

Munrosonic EGG150 Studio Monitors | AudioTechnology Magazine
Amphion One18 Review | AudioTechnology Magazine
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Kii Three- the new king
Kii Audio GmbH - High End Active Speakers for HiFi and Professional use.
Ordered pair yesterday
Old 4th November 2015
I own the Event Opal, am looking at a pair of Amphion One12s or One15s to pair with them. Perhaps the Opal should be on your to try list?
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have not heard any of them, but Amphion One15/18 and Munro Sonic Egg150 mkII, are the two models I have narrowed down to, for a possible purchase.
I have read an Australian review (Audio Technology) where the same reviewer seems to likte the Eggs more. Of course I know this is subjective and its is room dependent and......But I have read much about the principles behind the Eggs, and it makes sense to me. The claimed non resonant cabinet as an example...
and external amp.

Munrosonic EGG150 Studio Monitors | AudioTechnology Magazine
Amphion One18 Review | AudioTechnology Magazine
I can speak up here, I owned Eggs and now own Amphion One18's. First off I will state that the Eggs were not bad monitors.
Yet I did comparative mixes on both brands and came away with mixes on the Amphions just gelling more.

Indeed I do feel the Amphions and he Eggs are in two different leagues with the Amphions just making the Eggs sound like they have a veil over them.
This is not the first time Amphion adopters have reported the Amphions sounding more open and their previous monitors sounding clouded in direct comparison.
Oh and these are high end monitors that this happened with.

On the differences between first gen Eggs and second gen Eggs. The only thing that was changed was EQ tweaks in the amp sections, and production brought to the U.K.

My theory is this happened in part because the product was not selling well enough for sE Electronics to still manufacture the line. Hence Andy making a deal with Sonic the U.K. Distributor of sE to take the line over and keep it going.
With the EQ tweaks coming from suggestions by early adopters who felt the original EQ did not do much. Which I can personally attest to.

As far as those reviews go they were not very in depth and he actually ended up glowing about both brands telling people to Definitely check them out.
it did seem like he actually tried to review the Eggs more while the Amphion piece seemed to quote Ansi, and add a few anecdotes of his own.
Neither review was worthy of true judgement in my opinion.
Old 8th November 2015
Here for the gear

The JBL 708i are comparable to the two 18
I have been able to compare against Neumann Genelec Focal Barefoot

It a great idea to compare them side by side

JBL has such an open sound with great imaging and a excellent spectral balance

Last edited by ValentinR; 8th November 2015 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 8th November 2015
Here for the gear

JBL 708i are more in the range of the two18

I have compared them to Focal twin be to Genelecs Neuman barefoot micromain27

JBL 708i just present more space and definition with incredible imaging and spectral Balance
Bass is incredible articulate
The best way too compare them is side by side.

Just My opinion pls tel us your experience once you heard booth side by side

You will
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Hi, did you get your pair? by all means, report back and tell us how do they sound and even better, how did mixes come out to the real world with these
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Finally getting demos of the Genelec 8351, Amphion two 15 and one 18, and JBL lsr708i at the same time NEXT WEEK!!! Really excited!! would love to get access to the Kiis and Harbeths too

i´ll report back

Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, did you get your pair? by all means, report back and tell us how do they sound and even better, how did mixes come out to the real world with these
I have it ordered, in January hopefully will be here. My good friend have a dealer pair and simply I couldn´t resist.Best speakers I have heard in my life.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I own the Event Opal, am looking at a pair of Amphion One12s or One15s to pair with them. Perhaps the Opal should be on your to try list?
yes Opal, it is a good one
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
yes Opal, it is a good one
I heard the Opal, and while it is nice, i think all these are in another league... but, we must remember, the real test is MIXING with them, not just hearing them...so, who knows...
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally getting demos of the Genelec 8351, Amphion two 15 and one 18, and JBL lsr708i at the same time NEXT WEEK!!! Really excited!! would love to get access to the Kiis and Harbeths too

i´ll report back

seriously, this is very cool!

I hope you can find the harbeth 30.1!

thanks
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
seriously, this is very cool!

I hope you can find the harbeth 30.1!

thanks

This is really something that I don't understand. Why aren't the Harbeth more present in the studios? They are amazing speakers
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

yeah, im sure harbeth 30.1 is amazing, yet I have not seen ONE comparison between harbeth and any of the top monitors available!
Priko, do you have them in your store? ever worked with them?

OP, if you can, try the harbeth. Ive heard the harbeth c7.3 and if it wasnt for the problematic bass, the mid and highs were beautiful.
Old 22nd November 2015
Quote:
I heard the Opal, and while it is nice, i think all these are in another league... but, we must remember, the real test is MIXING with them, not just hearing them...so, who knows...
How would you know they are a and a lower category? you havent mixed on them
Old 22nd November 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:

i´ll report back

Great!! One 18 orJBL 705 /708 are the two most likely candidats for my next monitors.
( are you going to use the 708's with the recomended amp? )
Old 23rd November 2015
I heard the Amphion and really liked them. Curios about the JBLs now.
Old 24th November 2015
Gear Nut
Very interested on how the JBL's perform vs the Amphions and Genelec 8351.
The LSR 3 series shaked the monitor market, and the 7 series is a completely different animal (passive, dsp and compression drivers), looks very thought to beat!
The Kii is a very interesting contender too, costs 10k but is getting rave reviews from audiophiles
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
yeah, im sure harbeth 30.1 is amazing, yet I have not seen ONE comparison between harbeth and any of the top monitors available!
Priko, do you have them in your store? ever worked with them?

OP, if you can, try the harbeth. Ive heard the harbeth c7.3 and if it wasnt for the problematic bass, the mid and highs were beautiful.

Something to clarify, I think you are interested in the speaker for pleasure listening. This is totally different than the use of the speaker for mixing or master.
The Amphion are extraordinary for studio work... good but nothing exceptional for listening at home. There is no wow factor. Listening to the Amphion is not enough, it is really when you work with them that you understand that they are perfect tool for mixing and mastering.

For Harbeth, I would rather go on the HSL5+ with tube amp or pre-amp, they can go amazingly good.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
How would you know they are a and a lower category? you havent mixed on them
exactly, i said, who knows ?
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great!! One 18 orJBL 705 /708 are the two most likely candidats for my next monitors.
( are you going to use the 708's with the recomended amp? )
Yes, Crown, paired with the Bss Dsp. I just finished my first mix with the amphions, and my client liked it a lot. I must say i bravely (or stupidly) jumped into mixing, trusting them without checking not even one note of reference mixes. I have a (what appears to be) small revision of the mix, concerning the amount of low end in snare and it seems we are done with it. Took 6 hours!! So, it seems it worked for me. Today I get the Gens, and next week the Jbl again, I may try also the amphion two 15´s... i´ll keep reporting back

now i´m just waiting for the vari mu´s tubes to warm up
Old 26th November 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, Crown, paired with the Bss Dsp. I just finished my first mix with the amphions, and my client liked it a lot. I must say i bravely (or stupidly) jumped into mixing, trusting them without checking not even one note of reference mixes. I have a (what appears to be) small revision of the mix, concerning the amount of low end in snare and it seems we are done with it. Took 6 hours!! So, it seems it worked for me. Today I get the Gens, and next week the Jbl again, I may try also the amphion two 15´s... i´ll keep reporting back

now i´m just waiting for the vari mu´s tubes to warm up
So interesting to hear your experience between theese. Especially One18 vs Lsr708.
( talked to swedish distrubiter of Jbl, their first imperession of the 705 was very good)
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So interesting to hear your experience between theese. Especially One18 vs Lsr708.
( talked to swedish distrubiter of Jbl, their first imperession of the 705 was very good)
Indeed, my first impression of the 708 was what re-ignited my quest for better monitors, I stayed almost 5 years with the current system. I guess 2morrow will go and make a Genelec Mix, poor client (i'm experimenting with his album )
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

And so the Gens arrived ! look interesting indeed, i already installed the software and made tests on the floor. The Genelec representative that brought them said my room looks nice on the software graphs They got a very sturdy decoupling base that can angle them. The whole thing feel very high quality... Even so, I want a little bit more time with the Amphions, maybe saturday!! Fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
JBL LSR 708i vs Amphion One 18´s vs --what other should be mentioned?----img_2768.jpg  

Last edited by Hansest; 27th November 2015 at 02:36 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search