The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 708i vs Amphion One 18´s vs --what other should be mentioned?--- Studio Monitors
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

Jantex, how would you say the JBL LSR 708p monitors compare to the Genelec 8351? I have the 8351s, and love them, but was considering buying another set of monitors for an offsite location. The price point is attractive!

Last edited by Jargonfilter; 18th January 2019 at 07:30 PM..
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargonfilter View Post
Jantex, how would you say the JBL LSR 708p monitors compare to the Genelec 8351? I have the 8351s, and love them, but was considering buying another set of monitors for an offsite location. The price point is attractive!
I think they are superb, especially considering value/money. I would not put them in the same class though, as far as the resolution and imaging is concerned but they have great mids as well and superb low end and can play really loud (louder than 8351).
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I think they are superb, especially considering value/money. I would not put them in the same class though, as far as the resolution and imaging is concerned but they have great mids as well and superb low end and can play really loud (louder than 8351).
How do 708's compare to Opals?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

without having them in the same room at the same time, and only from memory, I would say the 708 smoke the opals big time in terms of everything
except brute force
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
without having them in the same room at the same time, and only from memory, I would say the 708 smoke the opals big time in terms of everything
except brute force
What do you mean by brute force. Spl ?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
except brute force
Thanks for the feedback.

As a reference (and in no way is this to counter your opinion!), there was another poster in the Opal thread who also compared the 708's v Opals....here's his thoughts>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
I was able to Test Opals vs JBL 708P's a short while ago. If the Opals are harsh to anyone, the 708p's might be more suited.

They're fairly similar, with the the 708p's being a bit softer in the upper-mid-range and having slightly more bass set flat. The Opals sound a bit wider, but perhaps it was just placement in my room. Their mods are a bit pokier and maybe the highs are slightly more open. To someone else, that could mean harshness, so I guess it could be a taste thing.

As far as features, the JBL's have built in D/A and a much more flexible EQ. You can actually layer two EQ's (maybe one for correction and another for pleasure), and depending on how you set them, can get closer to the Opals more than the other way around. On the other hand, the EQ on the Opals is pretty mild. You can't crank up the bass like you can on the JBL's without using an external EQ (set flat the JBL's still have more bass because of the slightly bigger woofer). If you are going for accuracy, this might not matter to you, but if you want to crank the bass for fun, you need to do it externally on the Opals. Whatever the case, the JBL EQ's are a nice touch.

As far as build, the Opals are tanks, but very heavy, at almost double the weight of the JBL's. The JBL' s are very light, but the cabinet isn't made out of metal like the Opals.

Another thing to consider is that the JBL's tweeter /horn doesn't turn sideways, so you can only stand them straight up. The Opals can be laid on their sides if necessary, and the tweeter can be turned.

Whatever the case, they're pretty similar. If one doesn't like one, they might like the other, and the feature sets could be something to consider.

I kept the Opals. There was just something I really liked about them, and they seemed to place well in my room.

And as far as accuracy is concerned, I couldn't tell you. The Opals do impart a "sheen" and "width" on stuff that sounds lovely, but depending on what one is going for...

Whatever the case, I already have ear-splitting/cardboardy NS10's so I went with what sounded nicer to me (the NS10's don't really hurt your ears per-se, but they do sound like cardboard... Useful for some things though!)

If you ever compare the two, I'd recommend putting the JBL's on the outside of the Opals when comparing width, and then in the same place. I should have done more comparing here but alas I didn't. I tried to do my tests in less than 1 hour to avoid fatigue, and just got in with my life! Both are awesome monitors, so either way I'm good.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
What do you mean by brute force. Spl ?
Yes
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

As a reference (and in no way is this to counter your opinion!), there was another poster in the Opal thread who also compared the 708's v Opals....here's his thoughts>
Accepting the subjectiveness of human condition and insisting on the need for A-B comparison at the same time, in the same room and even trying to minimize the effect of different placement of the two pairs, I have to say that I remwmber very different sound coming from each. But the Opals I only heard once
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search