The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley mic pre vs Chandler mic pre
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryschien View Post
WHAT? Then I must hate myself!

Ok, this is too complicated for a non-native English speaker, but I'll try, since I hate being mistaken more.

I saw someone said that the Manley bashing people are those who can't afford Manley gears. I though that was rude, since one of my friend say he didn't like Manley gears but he owns gears that are more expansive.

So what I was trying to say was that "I don't like the people who thinks anyone that doesn't like Manley gears are the ones that can't afford them."

You must have confuse my post with someone else's?
aryschien, i was just kidding..your a good sport though..
Old 10th July 2007
Gear Addict

oops :p
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
manley is kinda lame - 0 mojo- jack

Pupo
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

But the Manley gear looks oh so sexy.

Seriously.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
But the Manley gear looks oh so sexy.

Seriously.
I'll re phrase the quote...

The Manley gear looks oh so sexy.

The word "but" starting the sentence kindda says it's not good BUT it looks so sexy, or at least that's what I understood on my very bad english...

Manley is just VERY GOOD GEAR...VERY GOOD GEAR!

Cheers,
Pupo
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

You misunderstood me. Which is understandable. The "but" was sarcastic to the naysayer.

I really have no opinion on it's sonic integrity as I've never used Manley gear. I think their gear, especially the ELOP, looks sexy as hell.....that's all. And I'm consider the ELOP as a compressor for solo instrumental acoustic guitar recorded with two mics or one mic and DI from a Fishman soundhole pickup.

I've read far more good things about Manley than bad when searching this forum.

Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have several manley pieces, including the massive passive, line mixer, and Vari mu, and the dual mono mic pre is my favorite of all of them, my #1 pre for vocals and acoustic guitar. I am probably going to upgrade it to a Manley TNT.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You misunderstood me. Which is understandable. The "but" was sarcastic to the naysayer.

I really have no opinion on it's sonic integrity as I've never used Manley gear. I think their gear, especially the ELOP, looks sexy as hell.....that's all. And I'm consider the ELOP as a compressor for solo instrumental acoustic guitar recorded with two mics or one mic and DI from a Fishman soundhole pickup.

I've read far more good things about Manly than bad when searching this forum.

That;'s why I mentioned my bad english...

Manley is great!

Pupo
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
That;'s why I mentioned my bad english...

Manley is great!

Pupo

Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

im a very happy Manley voxbox owner, ive had nothing but good things to say about theyre tech support too, email replies within minutes, pretty good compared to a company like motu where i waited 3 weeks for a reply.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
But please keep up the Bashing, as I am thinking of picking up a used Elop, and this will drive down the prices on Ebay.
+
Exactly. Unbelievable. An early poster even bashed the Manley minimixer. Whatever.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Well, they both offer a lot of tonal variations, but in two entirely different directions.

The Manley is basically a very clean tube unit that can get very direct, almost hard, when pushing the gain. It'll mostly keep it's clean-ish character and when it does break up, it's not pleasant. I like what it does to dark and deep sounds.

The Germanium starts off with a friendly solidstate tone that will move to more woolly, fat regions, depending on the feedback and thick settings. I like how it can soften the edge of harsh sounds.

You could say the Manley works better for pop, while the Germ is more of a rock beast.

Of course, you'll also have to take into account - among others - the basic character of the mic(s) you'll be using.

Be a slut: get bothheh
The moderator should delete almost everyone's else's post and just keep this one. Reason why people hate going on gearslutz is post like this one when you see such stupid comments about on high end pre's, and they don't even answer the question that is posted.
This guy is one of the few that actually answered the question. It was not asked if you liked the Manley pre but how it compared to the Chandler. Both pre's a very good sounding, and all high end mic pre's have their place and both are made with quality and care. One is tube so you will of course obtain a smoother sound, while the Germanium gives a punchier sound to.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
The moderator should delete almost everyone's else's post and just keep this one. Reason why people hate going on gearslutz is post like this one when you see such stupid comments about on high end pre's, and they don't even answer the question that is posted.
This guy is one of the few that actually answered the question. It was not asked if you liked the Manley pre but how it compared to the Chandler. Both pre's a very good sounding, and all high end mic pre's have their place and both are made with quality and care. One is tube so you will of course obtain a smoother sound, while the Germanium gives a punchier sound to.
Yes, you are the best, we all suck.
Thanks for letting us know Chandler and Manley are cool!
I didn't know that...

Read your post and think somebody else wrote it instead of you.
You will be amazed how stupid it can be for us to read it.
So...this is a public forum...

Cheers,
Pupo
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

This thread is getting uglier than Rosie O'Donnell standing over a mirror.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread is getting uglier than Rosie O'Donnell standing over a mirror.
It's my fault...
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Back in 1976, my parents sent me to England to improve my English.
One of my most vivid memories of that time is a TV ad where one kid says to another : "...but my mom's Heinz Noodle Doodles are better than your mom's Heinz Noodle Doodles!"
I'm often reminded of this ad when I'm on Gearslutz.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear
i would not really use either of these for my go to shot for R&B vox. i have a ltd1 and have used the manley dual mic pre. i love the ltd1 for what it does and thought that manley was kinda bland. i'd either use an avalon 737 or m5/2022 or an api before i'd pick the chandler or manley...i for sure would not go with the germ for r&B...i know a few who use the manley vox box and get great results though.

keep in mind that it really depends on the mic you will be using...certain mics sound better with certain pres...you just have to experiment to know what works for you.

my 0.02

ej

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search